Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
72SS
AF Newbie

1972 SS or not?

Hello everyone got a couple questions to run past the experts here.
My 72 SS has a "K" in the fifth position on the VIN....but it has front drums brakes and single spring leaf springs in the back. What gives? I thought all SS had power brakes with disc's in the front, drums in the rear, and multi leaf springs. Can anyone shed some light on this please. Thanks!

72SS
72SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
NOVAZ27
AF Regular

Re: 1972 SS or not?

HELLO. I hope i can help. When i bought my "69" ss new in 69 pwr/disk brakes were part of the SS package + multi leaf rear springs+ appearance package+ the 300/350 engine. In "69" to get disk brakes you had to order the SS package. When i bought my "73" nova everything was an option. I am willing to bet that your "72" is an SS clone. It still a great keeper vehicle. The "68-72" novas were pretty similar in looks while the "73-74" were the same basic car they had govt. mandated bumpers, a diffrent grille & taillight treatments.
hope this helps.

NOVAZ27
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
billyg35
AF Newbie

Fifth position K = 350 4bbl V8 in the 1972 Nova
And yes to the Power disc brakes came standard with SS option
Came with the 350CU 200hp Turbo fire engine
billyg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

I've owned 5 Nova's over the years including a 1972 SS . It had multi leaf rear springs ! Sounds like you have a clone . As previously said , there's nothing wrong with that . I don't have a Nova at the moment and would gratefully take it off your hands - clone or not ! P.S. - Sent you a PM .
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Dennis321
AF Newbie

Jsut google Chevy VINs and look up your number to see what you've got. That's the one surefire way to get the correct answer. Good luck
Dennis321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Dave B.
AF Regular

First, here's a link to what has to be the most complete Nova information site out there:
http://novaresource.org/
It's not the easiest site to navigate, but you'll catch on.

As to your car... if it has the "K" in the VIN, it started life as an SS. That means that it originally had front disc brakes, multi-leaf rear springs and a 350/4 bbl. The "K" actually denotes the engine, but the only way to get the 350/4 bbl. in '72 was to order the SS package. (I was selling Chevrolets in 1972 and I remember that very well.) My guess is that at some point those parts got robbed for someone's project and the front drums and single-leaf rear axle were put back in to make the car drivable.

The only other possibility would be that someone switched VINs to get a title. They would have had to switch the instrument panel cover AND the cowl tag... either that or hack the number behind the windshield. Just to be safe, I'd take a close look at both to see if there's any sign that they've been messed with...

Last edited by Dave B.; 03-15-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: More text
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova