Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:32 AM   #16
NAAnderson
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 Caprice cough, sputters and idles fast

I just want to thank all of you who have responded to my posts you have all helped me to learn SO MUCH about my car! I am a 52 year old woman and I began doing "some" of my own repairs when I was 17 years old and owned a '74 Monte Carlo with a 454 and Rochester quadrajet which I eventually put on myself along with a lot more parts over the years I had it. I have to give credit to my older 2 brothers who when the fuel pump when out on it in the middle of a Minnesota winter at about -10 degrees when I asked them to help me, as I had never done anything mechanical in my life, gave me a Chiltons and some tools and that's all the help I got 😕 To this day I remember laying underneath that car trying to put that fuel pump in...it took me hours! LOL! My hands were freezing as we didn't have a garage and the gas was freezing my hands because I couldn't get the rod to go in the way it was suppose to and I was crying and they were freezing too. But because of that one moment my career was destined although I didn't figure it out until about 10 years later when I became a surgical technologist and surgeons first assistant. I don't work on cars but I assist "working" on people during total joint replacements along with general and all the other areas. You wouldn't believe it maybe but being a mechanic and working in surgery are two very closely related careers 😃😃So tomorrow I pick up my car from having the tranny worked on and I will give a summary of what was wrong and what they fixed

Last edited by NAAnderson; 11-09-2016 at 12:06 AM.
NAAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

You've replaced one CV joint, you're replaced them all. FWIW, the spherical joint in a tilt steering column is very mush like the "business" end of a replacement hip joint - right down to the preload design, except the steering column doesn't use titanium hi-lo screws to hold the parts to the bone.

Hopefully the shop provides a comprehensive list, and among the list is an upgraded sun shell.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #18
NAAnderson
AF Newbie

😃!!!Yes. Like that!!!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #19
j cAT
AF Fanatic

with the idle sputtering this may be the ignition coil and ICM . when this old the coil will internally arc . I just did this work this week on this LT1 engine, in the dark I could see the flashing of the ignition coil and with my hand on the engine as it flashed the engine did a shake.
these parts are to be replaced as a set because a bad coil arcing damages the ICM.
if the coil is original then I would have/do this replacing. to remove the OEM original coil you will need to remove the 2 rivets that hold the coil on the bracket. I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel then pushed the rivet out.

I think I mentioned it before the distributor can also do this idle issue but the parts I suggest are cheap and much less a PITA to replace. placing a timing light on the coil high voltage wire will reveal the poor spark also. should be steady flashes with no misses .

on knee replacing cobalt is a great metal to use. LOL..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #20
NAAnderson
AF Newbie

Ok I got my car back from the tranny shop and this is what was wrong with it and what they did...
Has a broken 2-4 brake band. Need to remove transmission from vehicle, replace brake band 3-4 clutch frictions and 1-2/2-3 shift selenoids and filter. It also had a cracked torque converter so they put a new one of those on. I really don't know anything at all about transmissions but everyone from the area bring their cars to this shop (but then he's the only shop in the area) but seriously I've only heard good things.
Blue Bowtie I'll look for that spark as now I'll be concentrating all effort and $,$$$. to getting the engine fixed. Love the power I beginning to get a glimpse of 🔥👸🚀🚓
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #21
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

If you want to get an idea what they did, read this in your spare time:

http://www.wwdsltd.com/4L60/4L60ERepairs.html

Keep us posted on the misfire diagnosis.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #22
NAAnderson
AF Newbie

I should maybe put a run down of the expenc3s on the tranny just in case anyone is interested
1 Torque Converter $195.00, 1Trans Filter $25.16, Trans Pan Gasket $10.41, 10 Trans Fluid @ the 5.12 each $51.20 =
Parts $281.77
Labor $612.00
Supplies $4.47
Disposal $5.00
Tax $19.68
TOTAL = $922.92
Old 11-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #23
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAnderson View Post
I should maybe put a run down of the expenc3s on the tranny just in case anyone is interested
1 Torque Converter $195.00, 1Trans Filter $25.16, Trans Pan Gasket $10.41, 10 Trans Fluid @ the 5.12 each $51.20 =
Parts $281.77
Labor $612.00
Supplies $4.47
Disposal $5.00
Tax $19.68
TOTAL = $922.92
looks like they installed the wrong tranny fluid dexron VI costs about $9 USD a QT.

as I stated before DEXRON III IS NO LONGER AN APPROVED GM FLUID YEAR [2006] .. DO NOT USE IT IT CAUSES ALL THE DAMAGE YOUR TRANSMISSION HAS NOW. this fluid is one reason GM went bankrupt....!
SERVICE BULLETIN 04-07-30-037D
DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is the ONLY approved fluid for warranty repairs for General Motors transmissions/trans axles requiring DEXRONŽ-III and/or prior DEXRONŽ transmission fluids.

since the torque converter blew up the tranny fluid cooling system requires a good flushing to prevent particles from damaging the components.

the work should include a 1 year warranty.
the transmission should also be re-inspected after a couple of K miles to ensure no leaks/fluid issues/pressures are correct.

good luck.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #24
NAAnderson
AF Newbie

Thank you j cAT. I told him about the tranny fluid and I could tell I wasn't going to win so I decided I'll just have to bring it some other place that will put in what I want. And thank you for the advice on the timing too I'll have that checked.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #25
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

j cAT is correct that Dex 6 is the superior and preferred fluid. I doubt that Dex 3 had anything to do with the failure of the band or band anchor, but it may have contributed to wear and glazing of the direct clutch.

It would be good to run the trans for a few miles/days/weeks and then drop the pan/filter to change the fluid and check for excessive material. There will undoubtedly be a bit of metal from the band and rebuilt direct clutch stack wearing into the steels and input drum. Clean the pan and magnet and refill with about 6-7 quarts (usually on a 4L60) so that over half the oil is clean Dex 6.

Did the shop install a drain plug? They should have (my opinion) because you will want to change the fluid soon and again after about 20-25K and don't lose any more sleep. Return to the regular service schedule after that, or about 50K between changes.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #26
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAnderson View Post
Thank you j cAT. I told him about the tranny fluid and I could tell I wasn't going to win so I decided I'll just have to bring it some other place that will put in what I want. And thank you for the advice on the timing too I'll have that checked.
good change. they use the old damaging fluid because it creates more $$$$/repair work for them. DEX VI is the proper fluid not III...

my 1996 Impala has had synthetic fluid in it since 1998.. took out all the dexron III . still no transmission problems shifts better than new when the DEX III was in it..

you will see this when the air temp drops to zero deg F. DEX III turns to acid also after it is exposed to the hot typical temps..

I agree also to have the pan drop filter change after a few K miles.. I would also have the better repair shop inspect the pressures at this time to be sure all is good..
MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT 1 YEAR WARRANTY ...I would expect $1500 for this repair work ... tranny shops have lots of experience doing these due to the defective GM fluid used lots of parts available.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice