Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:40 PM   #1
JOSE MARIA
AF Enthusiast

Lightbulb casting resin parts

Well , Iīm glad to announce that my experiments are little by little getting better. My first attempt to copy parts in resin was with a set of Golf GTI wheels, which didnīt come out well.But , my second one looks quite acceptable.I have copied the six main parts of the 4.0L V8 engine from the Toyota Celsior /Lexus LS400 (Tamiya), destined to motorize a pair of Soarer 4.0GT Limited and a `91 Crown Majesta C-Type.I gotta do another two copies , so I expect the molds to stand the job.
The molds are made out from silicon rubber and the resin itīs epoxy type I think.I want to try another kind to compare which is best.
Apart from this I have bought an special latex used by dentists that is super fine, although you gotta heat it and it could cause some troubles to the original parts to be copied when making the molds.

Well ,regards
JOSE MARIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 04:26 PM   #2
COZMO6476
AF Enthusiast

cool... could you share some pictures of your work? i've been wanting to try some resin casting too some day. good luck and thanks for sharing your experience
COZMO6476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
JOSE MARIA
AF Enthusiast

THANKS, IīLL DO IT.

Well , Cozmo Iīll try to make some pictures once my cousin lends me his webcam , because is the only thing with a macro and no need of developing that I can ask for.Iīll paint the parts first with primer or may be a thing layer of matt alluminium because they are difficult to see, being transparent green.

Itīs pretty cool this thing of copying in resin, although is madly expensive.As a technique I think every grown-up modeller should at least know it.
I have some "pharaonic" projects to copy engines , alloy wheels and the like.Itīs fantastic to have lots of models with the same engine/wheel need, because this way itīs worthwhile to make the copies instead of scratch.

Anyway Iīm saving money to buy myself a digital camera this autumn or may be christmas.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:10 PM   #4
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Yes, please keep us informed! I'm very interested in the details

(I have some RB26DETT copies to make... )
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
JOSE MARIA
AF Enthusiast

IN FACT JAY!

I also have plans for the RB26DETT. I wanna make two strange variants of the R32 four doors.
One, itīs called the GTB4 and itīs just a GT-R with fender flares and all , and the other is the RB Autech , with a detuned RB26DETT and simpler in aspect. Iīll need two Aoshima R32 GTS-t Type-M
Apart from this , JAY , as you can imagine Iīll motorize my unmade R33 & R34 GT-R.Imagine them with the engine and all the right hoses and engine-bay stuff!!!

Old 10-03-2002, 07:12 PM   #6
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: IN FACT JAY!

Quote:
Originally posted by JOSE MARIA
I also have plans for the RB26DETT. I wanna make two strange variants of the R32 four doors.
One, itīs called the GTB4 and itīs just a GT-R with fender flares and all , and the other is the RB Autech , with a detuned RB26DETT and simpler in aspect. Iīll need two Aoshima R32 GTS-t Type-M
Apart from this , JAY , as you can imagine Iīll motorize my unmade R33 & R34 GT-R.Imagine them with the engine and all the right hoses and engine-bay stuff!!!
That whole "great minds think alike" thing is so true!
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote