Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
ksroadking
AF Newbie

1996 Intrepid lower suspension bushings

I had to replace the lower suspension bushings on a 1996 Dodge Intrepid this weekend. I thought I would post my experiences should anyone else need to do the same. I had the help of a neighbor who is a mechanic.

The car was supported on stands to hold the front end off the driveway. We used floor jacks to support the lower suspension frame. There are 4 bushings that needed replaced. Two on the front and two on the rear. "CAUTION" Do not take all 4 out at the same time!

We started with the front bushings. I used an electric impact wrench and an 18mm socket, but was unable to break the bolts loose. We ended up using the socket on a break-over bar with a cheater bar that was about 3 feet long to break the bolts loose, then used the impact. The nut plates broke, so we ended up needing to use an acetylene torch to cut the bolt heads off and drive the bolts back up and out of the mounting holes. Both front bushings had to be done that way. The mechanic said that happens about 90% of the time. For replacement bolts I used 1/2 inch bolts 2 inches long, flat washers and a lock washer. The new bolts required the use of a 3/4 in socket at the bottom end and an off-set boxed end wrench to reach through a small window in the frame to hold the nut. Of course starting the nut had to be done with two fingers.

The rear bushings did not have the problem with a breaking nut plate. Fortunately they could be removed and reused. However, the rear bushing on the passenger side would not come apart for removal and it had to be cut in half with a reciprocating saw.

We had to lower the floor jacks enough to lower the frame to assist in reinstalling the new bushings.

I purchased the new bushings for roughly $60.00 each after sales tax at an auto parts store.

We spent the better part of the afternoon and evening doing the work. Had I known what a pain it was going to be, I may have had it done in a garage.
ksroadking is offline   Reply With Quote