Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Cadillac Classics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
AF Regular

Carter Carb Help Question

I just put a professional rebuild carburetor on the 61 Caddy. I set the carb by the manual manual step by step. I set the timing, checked the dwell and replaced the plugs ( old one looked really good) . It idles smooth, not a shake one. runs nice when you do a slow acceral, but when you go to step on it like pull out in to traffic it stalls and runs rough, almost like it loading up or stumbling or the timing is not advancing. I am at a loss of ideas what could be wrong. Any ideas or help is greatly needed. Thanks Dave
010175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Carter Carb Help Question

Dave, I am presently restoring a 62 Deville in my shop. Many things can cause this, low fuel pressure, restricted filter, low float levels, metering rods in the carb stuck, wrong carb for the engine, weak ignition coil, so there is some diagnotic work to be done. Question is did this start after the carb was done?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
AF Regular

The car had a bad carb on it when we got it. It was flooding. I got a professional rebuild carburetor. It is a Carter that was made for the 390 caddy. Someone befor us put lots of new parts, plugs, wires, cap and points into it. I will do some diagnotic work on it when i get home and repost for help. If you need help with your 62 these guys are really helpfull. http://www.61-62cadillacs.com/ Join and you will see our caddy under all albums and My New 61 Cadillac (2nd page). Thanks Dave
Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
AF Regular

After installing a rebuilt carter AFB Cadillac carburetor I have two problem with the running of the 390 Cadillac (118,000 miles) engine. It has a flat spot just when you push down on the gas at the start of any stop. Problem 2, at Cruise speed ( 30mph to 70+mph) if you floor it the engine it stumbles and does not accelerator. I have reset the timing, both by a timing light and a vacuum gage. I have checked the distributor and the vacuum advance and they seem to be working. With the air cleaner off, engine running, I looked down the carburetor as I moved the carb wide open and the two aft butterflys did not open. Should they? Is this causing the stumbling? I pushed the butterflys open with a screw driver and they opened. .The old carburetor i removed had flooding issues (bad floats i think) and i could not adjust it to idle at the normal 480 RPM but it would rip if you put your foot into it (no stumbling). Now the good part about the new carbueretor is the car idles really smooth (480 RPM) and if you SLOWLY accelerator from a stop it runs so smooth all the way up to 70mph. Only when you put your foot all the way down on the accelerator does it not function properly ( as I have stated before). Is my rebuilt carb my problem? Thanks Dave
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
maxwedge
A990 racer

The secondarys will not open by just jamming open the throttle in neutral,they have air valve secondary actuation. Try changing the accel pump rod to the top hole for a better squirt of fuel on accel. This advice assumes all else is right with the carb.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
AF Regular

Maxwedge, Thanks for your help. My old carb had the three holes on the accel pump but this one only has one. I was just trying to get an idea of the likey hood of the rebuild carb being bad. If their is a high chance something is wrong with the carb I would send it back. Do you have a gut feeling? Dave
Old 05-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

Someone did not return your original carb, why would that link be different than the oe one, had 3 holes, I would question your rebuilder!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
AF Regular

Thanks.. OK this is what the outcome was. It was the points that made the car run the way it did. Not the carburetor. I did not look at the points and ruled them out because the dwell meter show the dwell was set at 30 degree. When I was looking at the vacuum advance to see if it was working correctly i noted a round rivet looking part was loose inside the distributor. Upon looking at it closer i found it to be part of the contact point set. I was amassed because someone must have reset the points after the contact fell off. Anyway I replaced the points and the car runs like new now. Dave
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
David Collis
AF Newbie

Hi, Just new to this linkhttp://staticaf.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/jerking.gif
I can suggest that you may not have a problem with your Carter carburettor.
Try adjusting the TV rod that runs from just in front of the accelerator rod which travels town to the transmission.
This rod should pull up against the motor, not push down.
If this rod can't kick in a small lever in the transmission, it would be like driving without 1st gear.
You can test this by un-hooking the TV rod from the accelerator leaver and duck tapping it to the accelerator rod positioned so that it will engage the kick down. You can even feel it by hand before you tape it.
Test drive the car and see if it takes off better, and if it helps you will need to put it back and find the right adjustment. I hope this helps.
David Collis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

Dave, good info but this thread has been dead for over three years.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Cadillac Classics