Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
fourpawz
AF Newbie

Budget Rotary project advice needed

Looking for a early model rotary project car , whats the largest / most powerful rotary motor & whats it in ? don't mean to sound stupid "I've been a 3000gt man" for some time and I want a budget dragster project car ,, Any Help & Info. Welcomed , Thanks
fourpawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Budget Rotary project advice needed

" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
20bRx4
AF Newbie

Depends on your budget and how fast you want to go. The biggest production engine available would be the 20b which is available in the jc cosmo. Although if you are looking at a drag car a 13b turbo engine will be a more cost effective option. A 13b properly tuned and coupled with a large turbo will give you a great drag car that would leave a 3000gt in the dust. The 13b engine was available in the early rx7s through to the new rx8 and a couple of other models. For drag purposes I would reccomend a late model 13b (series 6-8) although a series 4-5 engine would be cheaper. The advantage of the later model engine is improved cooling and slightly more hp in stock form. You will also need to decide if you want to run twin turbo set up or single. Having had both i would reccomend the single turbo, you may experience a little more lag but with the right tune this can be reduced and more than makes up for it in the top end. As for chassis you really cant go wrong with most Mazdas from early model rxs to late models depending on the budget. Early model rxs are lighter but dont handle as well, whereas later models handle better but are heavier and cost more. If money is tight go for a 808 or 616 capella which is the non rotary equivilent of a rx3 or rx2. (It saves you cutting up a classic as well) Crossmembers are easy to come by and easy to make. If ya need any more info i happy to help can get pictures of drag/race setups ranging from 12s to 7s 1/4 mile time rotaries.
20bRx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
20bRx4
AF Newbie

Depends on your budget and how fast you want to go. The biggest production engine available would be the 20b which is available in the jc cosmo. Although if you are looking at a drag car a 13b turbo engine will be a more cost effective option. A 13b properly tuned and coupled with a large turbo will give you a great drag car that would leave a 3000gt in the dust. The 13b engine was available in the early rx7s through to the new rx8 and a couple of other models. For drag purposes I would reccomend a late model 13b (series 6-8) although a series 4-5 engine would be cheaper. The advantage of the later model engine is improved cooling and slightly more hp in stock form. You will also need to decide if you want to run twin turbo set up or single. Having had both i would reccomend the single turbo, you may experience a little more lag but with the right tune this can be reduced and more than makes up for it in the top end. As for chassis you really cant go wrong with most Mazdas from early model rxs to late models depending on the budget. Early model rxs are lighter but dont handle as well, whereas later models handle better but are heavier and cost more. If money is tight go for a 808 or 616 capella which is the non rotary equivilent of a rx3 or rx2. (It saves you cutting up a classic as well) Crossmembers are easy to come by and easy to make. If ya need any more info i happy to help can get pictures of drag/race setups ranging from 12s to 7s 1/4 mile time rotaries.
20bRx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7