Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

Unhappy Lock, and power seat problems!!!!

i just got a 93 Taurus GL and all is fine in the car except the locks do not work with the key. I put the key in (the door) and it will not turn. Also the Power lock switch does nothing, this poses a problem because i cannot lock my car at all and i'm a college student fearing that something will get stolen one of these days, hell it could be the car. also the the power chair does not work at all either. i've heard or read somewhere that the power locks and doors are on the same fuse? i have no idea where this said fuse is, i do not have the owners manual to find it, and i'm not sure the shop manual will tell me (it has not been useful the whole week i've owned the car so far). a rear window also does not go down, i belive that may be a motor, but i could care less... i would just like to be able to lock my car at night and during classes, as well as move the seat around so i'm not cramped driving, i'm considerably taller than the previous owner (whom it most likely died on, and broke the plastic control panel trying to fix) again please help me diagnose this, i would like ideas of what to try because i live in northern ohio and it is really really cold out and i can't get in the garage so i have to work out side and the least amount of time is best. Thanks ~Jeff

1963 Corvair 95 Rampside (daily Driver)
1991 Pontiac Grand am (rip)
Jefferscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Lock, and power seat problems!!!!

Does the linkage work by hand inside the car? Maybe the linkage is frozen. If that is the case, the power lock won't likely be able to move it either, so the problem may not be electrical but rather mechanical.

I'm not sure what fuse the "door" would be on, unless you are referring to the power windows. The fuse for the power locks is the 40A fuse in the engine compartment fuse/relay panel. According to the factory service manual, it shares the fuse with the power seats (if equipped).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Lock, and power seat problems!!!!

I do not think it is mechanical, no sound, movement, nothing what so ever. i was hoping someone could post a diagram showing what fuse the door would be but i think i can check it today and hopefully sort that out. i really really need help diagnosing my problem with the key though, i forsure need to lubricate the locks and all.. (the door handle stays out instead of retracting back to door) the door panels seem like they have all been ripped of before so i will check the mechanical workings of the locks but i have a hard time believing that they would all fail the same time the power seat stops and it not be the fuse... but you said 40 amp fuse does that mean there is just one 40 amp? i wired robots in highschool, so i have some background with this stuff, so if i need to replace switches or wires.. then it won't be much of a big deal, just hoping i can get some help diagnosing.. i hope it's just a fuse, thanks shorod

Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

Yes the Linkage moves by hand, i can grab it and move it up and down, which locks and unlocks the doors, it's the power function that does not work, i ahve also read of people leaving their keys in the door for about a minute before it would work, i'll try this, i heard a switch of some sort causes this... hmmm well thx again

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

I don't know that there will only be 1 40 amp fuse. I was hoping to provide you with a link to a PDF of the owner's manual, but the site only goes back as far as 1996. If the linkage moves by hand, the problem likely is not due to ice like I was thinking, but I'm with you, it's odd that the key cylinder doesn't work either. A fuse for the door lock motor would not cause the key cylinder to seize though either.

If you check the fuses and find they are all fine, then you might check the circular multiwire connector in the driver's door jamb. It's fairly common for wires to break at that connector. I could send you or post a copy of the wiring diagram for the 1994 model year which should be very similar to your 1993, but unfortunately it doesn't label the 40A fuse any better than what I described above.

-Rod
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

I checked my shop Manual, and it showed the Power Doors being on fuse #14 under the dash, this is an auto ressetting fuse which was 20 amps, which is what the manual showed, i ahve not been able to check the fuses under the hood yet, my hands were too cold to pry open the cover, i appreciate all the help, i hope to get it into our shop soon to really tear into some of small things like these problems

Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

I still don't know what you mean by "power doors." Are you referring to power windows? Power windows are typically on a circuit breaker.

-Rod
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

Yeah, that must be what you're referring to. The 1994 factory service manual suggests that the power windows are on a 20A circuit breaker in location 14 of the instrument panel fuse panel. There is no portion of the protected circuit in common between the locks and the windows. Circuit breaker 14 for the power windows is sourced through the ignition switch from a 60A fuse in the Engine Compartment Fuse Box.

-Rod
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

Sorry i am Referring to the locks, the windows are fine, none of the locks work by switch or key

Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

I solved the power issue, but not the key issue.

the fuse for the power locks (and chair) had been removed so the power features work now, however the key will not work in the door, i am beginning to wonder if someone replaced the ignition switch, or maybe since the keys i have are all replacements they do not enter the tumblers all the way (the key touches the door) since the keys have not been used in the doors for years, we assumed the locks were just locked up (no pun intended) so we sprayed them with a silicone lubricant, and now playing the waiting game.

ps... i found the little clip holding the lock mechanism in place was ingenious kudos ford!!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
Baneena
AF Newbie

I know this sounds silly but how many keys do you have? I know on the 93 wagon the round key is for the hatch only. I only tell you this because my sister climbed in and out of the hatch for about a month before I noticed one day and asked what she was doing. I then informed her that the ignition key also unlocks the doors and to stop wearing my hatch out...lol So if you have 2 keys and one is for ignition and 1 is for trunk try the ignition key in the doors maybe? or the trunk key in the doors if the ignition key isn't working.

And the replacement keys could be true as well, we have old worn down keys for my husbands car and had to have the locks replaced because the keys no longer worked in doors or trunk.
Baneena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
shorod
SHO No Mo

On my '93 SHO the trunk key was also the door key and I think the glove box as well. The ignition key was by itself. Or maybe that was my '88 EXP and the '93 only had one key. Hmmm, I don't remember. But I do remember that from my experience, if your Ford has a squarish key and a round key, the squarish is ignition only and the round key works the other locks (door, glove box, and trunk/hatch).

-Rod
Old 01-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Jefferscene
AF Newbie

The round key does not even fit in the door, i eventually removed the lock cylinder.. and took it to a lock smith to have a key made for it... so everything is fine now on my taurus. thanks for all the help!!! (if i knew the entire cars history this would've taken my hours not weeks to figure out)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chair , locks , power , window
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon