Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
hassanbigboss
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to hassanbigboss
Dont know which engine oil to use?

Hey guys I just got my hands on a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Edition with 95000 miles for $3300.The cars is in great condition and the engine is strong as if it was new. The problem I am having is that I dont know which oil grade to use in the car's engine and the transmission. I do all of the lube changes at home and I prefer Mobil 1 for oil changes. The thing is that I just dont know which oil to choose. Please help.
hassanbigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Bannedonce
Banned

Re: Dont know which engine oil to use?

It will say in your manual, but i think its 10w-40
Bannedonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanbigboss
Hey guys I just got my hands on a 1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Edition with 95000 miles for $3300.The cars is in great condition and the engine is strong as if it was new. The problem I am having is that I dont know which oil grade to use in the car's engine and the transmission. I do all of the lube changes at home and I prefer Mobil 1 for oil changes. The thing is that I just dont know which oil to choose. Please help.

Get yourself an >>> Owners Manual off eBay <<< for less than $20

Look for a complete set, in a leather case

As for your Engine Oil:

Note: All 4.6 engines are filled with 5qts(us) SAE 5W-30 oil at the factory.

To choose the correct viscosity oil, consider the temperatures in which the vehicle will be driven.
SAE 5W-30 oil is preferred in all climate conditions. SAE 10W-30 is acceptable in moderate to hot climates.

For other fluids & capacities hop >>> over here <<< and get my PDF table.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Bannedonce
Banned

Nice info steve thanks
Bannedonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanbigboss

i actually use Quaker State High Mileage 10W-30 in my 95 town car with a K&N oil filter. and i live in pennsylvania where the weather conditions are not that extreme (except when it decides to snow or when we get our nasty heat waves sometimes with high humidity). but even with the extremely hot temperatuers we are dealing with now, it makes my car run better and it seems even more powerful (along with my K&N air filter), but since it has 192,000 miles on it the 5W-30 wasn't doing the trick. the car didn't seem the run right. i am NOT sayin to use 10W-30 right away, however if the car doesnt seem to run smoothly i would suggest doing what i do. but like steve said, even though the manual suggests 5W-30, and if you want to get a heavier oil, then it all depends on the surroundings you live it (weather conditions). however, if the engine is strong like you said, then just stick with the 5W-30. no harm there

however i would suggest at least everyone once try the K&N oil filter. wow, what a difference it makes. the car seems to run better and has better performace, and it keeps the oil really clean. i just change my oil the other day and that oil filter kept the oil much cleaner than a regular oil filter. i think i paid $12.00 at pep boys. i highly recommend it! i wonder if they make their own motor oil?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
pmpmrs@amigo.net
AF Newbie

just to put my 2 cents in, my 95 TC came to me used (70,000 miles) and the previous owner kept meticulus records. he used havoline 10 w 40 and changed his oil and filter every 3000 miles. he got 22 miles to the gallon regularly according to his log book.
i immediately changed to walmart's full synthetic 10 w 30, and generic oil filter added a k&n air filter, and immediately jumped up to 26+ mpg.
i change oil every 5K and filter @ 10K miles.
why such a drastic change,you ask.
well i live next door to a retired research chemist who worked for mobile oil in the lubrication lab developing synthetic oil, and he said that is what he does.
if it's good for the goose, you know the rest. mike
pmpmrs@amigo.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpmrs@amigo.net
just to put my 2 cents in, my 95 TC came to me used (70,000 miles) and the previous owner kept meticulus records. he used havoline 10 w 40 and changed his oil and filter every 3000 miles. he got 22 miles to the gallon regularly according to his log book.
i immediately changed to walmart's full synthetic 10 w 30, and generic oil filter added a k&n air filter, and immediately jumped up to 26+ mpg.
i change oil every 5K and filter @ 10K miles.
why such a drastic change,you ask.
well i live next door to a retired research chemist who worked for mobile oil in the lubrication lab developing synthetic oil, and he said that is what he does.
if it's good for the goose, you know the rest. mike
i use the quaker state 10W-30 high mileage with SLICK50 in the oil, and a K&N Oil filter. i get almost 28mpg highway.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
wasabiboys
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wasabiboys

I use the Valvoline Max Life in my TC and the thing runs great...excluding the cats problem. Quaker State in my experience doesnt seem to stop the car from burning oil and the typical Ford stuff.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabiboys
I use the Valvoline Max Life in my TC and the thing runs great...excluding the cats problem. Quaker State in my experience doesnt seem to stop the car from burning oil and the typical Ford stuff.

does the valvoline max life help the motor not burn any oil? my doesnt burn any oil but i do add SmokeFix to the motor oil which prevents it from burning oil but every time i change my oil if i dont put that in, it burns oil and smokes a little out the back out of both the tail pipes when i take off from a light after sitting more than a minute. hmm, may be i should try the vavoline. might do the trick with my oil burning. i mean without the smoke fix i tend to add a quart every 1000 miles. and since i dont drive the car much (just really on weekend since i drive my work truck during the week) all that oil leaks through the valve seals. ill have to try the vavoline next time i change my oil
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
nortelpilot
AF Newbie

Just got a 95 Town Car Cartier,oil was chaged before I got it from the dealer.Would it hurt to go to synthetic oil with 137k on it?
I say this because I have no idea what was put in all thie tiomes before.
nortelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortelpilot
Just got a 95 Town Car Cartier,oil was chaged before I got it from the dealer.Would it hurt to go to synthetic oil with 137k on it?
1st, Welcome Here !!
If the PO's (previous owners) never used the Synthetic Oils, the benefits re: engine wear are already gone at 137k miles. If they did use it regularly and you start using it as well, the more power to you! Experiment with the lightest SAE's on the charts for your car if you're interested in the least friction.

Will it hurt anything, absolutely not.

Some report they burn more oil after going to Synthetic, and some say that's BS!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
pmpmrs@amigo.net
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortelpilot
nortelpilot, go back and read my post re walmart full synthetic 10/30 and oil change frequency. my 95 TC now has 120 K on it and with the k&N, bosh +4 plat plugs, and syn oil, i have been averaging 27+ mpg for the last 20K miles.
my drive mix is about 50/50 town and country.just my $.02 mike
pmpmrs@amigo.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #13
nortelpilot
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply,I may give it a try.
nortelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #14
Amitc0493
AF Newbie

There are lots of Engine Oil available in the market and most of them provide good quaility engine oil. I have been using Gandhar Engine Oil for quite some time and it is impressive.
Amitc0493 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car