Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News
AF News Find out what's happening here at AutomotiveForums.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #16
ITSME4G63
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ITSME4G63
Re: The World Challenge GT Nissan Skyline GT-R Story

so hows this thing holding up against porsches and corvettes? I know it can prolly hang with them or outaccelarate out of a stopped position but how about them corners? What about durability? I was watching an old best motoring episode and one of the japanese team owners that participates in the 24 hour endurance races in japan was talking about how their r34 gtr is faster than their porsche gt3, but the porche lasts the entire race while the skyline broke down and had to be fixed. He was also mentioning something liek the driveshafts for the porche being rated for 30hrs of hard use while the skyline ones arent and on and on.
ITSME4G63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #17
seasonalskier2006
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to seasonalskier2006

Crap!! I have to work that weekend!! And i cant even get the day off!! Go kick some A$$ igor, i will be there in spirit, i just wish i could get to see you race in person!!!

~Kenny
seasonalskier2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #18
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

what time does the mid ohio race start? i want to be ther but i need to know when
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #19
..CUERacing>>S14
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ..CUERacing>>S14

what happened at Mid-Ohio?
..CUERacing>>S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:56 AM   #20
RandomGuy
AF Newbie

i still dont understand how a R34 GTR can only make 150 at the wheels.
The TT I6 is almost 300 stock at the crank, and well over 200. I have a friend here, who has a stock RB26DETT in his 240sx w/ minor boltons with 389rwhp... obviously its apples and oranges, the 240sx and the r34, rwd/awd, but still the rb powerplant... 150hp... doesnt make sense to me sorry

I am new to AF, can someone please explain whats up.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:51 AM   #21
NCMR8CMan@af
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NCMR8CMan@af

Igor,

It was good seeingyou this past weekend. Sorry for your troubles and I hope all goes well at the next event.

Adam Boca
C5R: X1608
National Corvette Museum Delivery Team
NCMR8CMan@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #22
..CUERacing>>S14
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ..CUERacing>>S14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMR8CMan@af
Igor,

It was good seeingyou this past weekend. Sorry for your troubles and I hope all goes well at the next event.

Adam Boca
what kind of troubles?? I was bummed out whne i saw the DNS ohj the world Challenge web site....what happened?

CUE Auto Restyling
813-779-3991

Central Florida Auto Salvage
www.centralfloridaautosalvage.com
813-782-4805

Brian Ace of POLK Audio
www.polkaudio.com

..CUE>> Auto Restyling
35920 State Road 54
Zephyrhills, FL 33541
..CUERacing>>S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #23
NCMR8CMan@af
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NCMR8CMan@af

I am not to sure..I was unable to make it over to the trailer to find out..

Adam
C5R: X1608
National Corvette Museum Delivery Team
NCMR8CMan@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #24
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy
i still dont understand how a R34 GTR can only make 150 at the wheels.
The TT I6 is almost 300 stock at the crank, and well over 200. I have a friend here, who has a stock RB26DETT in his 240sx w/ minor boltons with 389rwhp... obviously its apples and oranges, the 240sx and the r34, rwd/awd, but still the rb powerplant... 150hp... doesnt make sense to me sorry

I am new to AF, can someone please explain whats up.
Our car has 150 horsepower less at the wheels than other comparable cars in the class. Not 150 hp total.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #25
usagtrpilot
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor@af
Our car has 150 horsepower less at the wheels than other comparable cars in the class. Not 150 hp total.
How are you guys supposed to be competitive with that kind of disadvantage?

Is it because the car is 4WD? And what happened at Mid Ohio BTW?
usagtrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
4DSC
AF Newbie

Yeah Igor, why aren't they lettin you have more power!?

Last edited by 4DSC; 06-08-2006 at 02:41 PM.
4DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:44 AM   #27
spikeman900
AF Newbie

Smile Re: The World Challenge GT Nissan Skyline GT-R Story

Im from Australia, where the import scene is really taking off, with skylines in abundance. The point is, we used to have an awesome variety of international racing back in the 70s and 80s in the Australian touring car championships, where European, Japanese and American cars could race with the V8s that the stereotypical Aussies went for. The thing was that the homegrown V8 tanks were winning and that kept the public happy. When the GTR came into the scene though, in 1990, not one single race was won by the aussie V8s anymore. The public got angry, and ratings dropped. Then from 1992 onwards, every foreign car was banned and the race consisted of only Ford and Holden; V8s.

For me, this is one of the reasons why im such a fan of the GTR, as it showed the community how crap our V8s really were. These days, i actually get annoyed by people at high school because of my allegiance to the GTR.

So we dont really see alot of local racing going on anymore between the V8s and Japanese, which is what id love to see again.
It really is great to see that the states is still allowing imports to race with the local cars.
It would be great to now your car's specifications, as well as a brief rundown on the series, as i really have not heard of it before. Is it televised? or does nascar and Indy run the show? If it is televised, i hope it comes here somehow.

All the best for the season and im sure that your GTR will perform to fulfill all our beliefs of your car.
spikeman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #28
klockwerken
AF Newbie

Good Day to all:

Very new guy from LERSOC here and thought I would stop and say hi. Ummm..how do I download a .jpg image to my message??

Sincerely,

Clueless in Cleveland
klockwerken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #29
monaroCountry
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to monaroCountry Send a message via Yahoo to monaroCountry

Quote:
The public got angry, and ratings dropped. Then from 1992 onwards, every foreign car was banned and the race consisted of only Ford and Holden; V8s.

Where the hell do you get your information from? That story is nothing more than a myth, there were far more things happening behind the scenes than the GTR dominating. Look back to previous years and notice the dominance of one make over another, even the Ford GTHO phase IV was canned because of their advancement and stock showroom performance (around 400hp in the 70's). The GTR was simply another chapter nothing more and nothing less.

At that stage 1990-1993 the real touring car force was not Holdens and Fords but the 2L British super tourers. Holdens were downgraded and slowed down to compete.

PLEASE READ THE REAL STORY BELOW!!!

Effectively the BMW and GTR were left out in the cold, since both used non compliance engines (3L and 2.6L). Holdens were hobbled and eventually the 2L based on the British super tourers and the 5L aussie cars had a falling out. The 5L (on shown on channel 10) set up their own category and the 2L (shown on channel 7) continued with theirs. The 5L category proved to be more popular and have thrived to what it is today. It had nothing to do with the GTR.

Quote:
Quote:
It's V8s against the Brits in '93
Holden and Ford V8s will take on the best of the British two-litre cars under the formula to replace the current Group A rules in 1993. After months of indecision, CAMS have announced that the 1993 Touring Car rules will have two classes - five-litre V8s, and two-litre cars complying to the current British Touring Car Championship regulations.

The new rules, announced by CAMS Motor Racing Manager Tim Schenken at a function in Melbourne, will maintain the "Group A" label, and will apply for three years commencing in 1993.

Class A will be for five litre, push-rod, V8 engines producing approximatly 450bhp, with chassis and suspension rules broadly based on the current Group A rules, without the need for manufacturer homologation.

The smaller class - Class B - will have similiar body, chassis and suspension rules, and will be based on the current two-litre British rules with engines reportedly producing around 285bhp.

"Class A prescribes regulations for five-litre pushrod V8 engines, effectively being the Falcon and the Commodore" Schenken said. "The aim of the regulations is to provide a car producing approximatly 450bhp controlled by a rev-limiter and a maximium compression ratio".

The need for manufacturers to homologate special cars or models has been abolished; they will only have to homologate an additional front air dam and rear wing.

"Class B, at this point in time, is based on the British Touring Car Championship." Schenken said, "which uses a two-litre engine with a rev-limiter and a weight differential for front wheel drive and rear wheel drive cars to balance their performance."

Under the new rules, Class A cars will have a minimum weight of 1300kg, a rev limiter restricting the engine speed to 7500rpm, and a maximum tyre width of 12in.

Class B will have a minimum weight of 1050kg for rear wheel drive cars, and 950kg for front wheel drive. The rev limiter will be set at 8500rpm, and tyres will be limited to a maximum of 9in.

Like the rules for 1992, CAMS has included a provision for review of the rules to maintain the competitiveness of the racing. Any changes thought necessary will bedecided on by a committee made up of representitives of CAMS and the involved manufacturers.

"Our objective is to maximise the number of makes and models participating Schenken said. "To ensure that we meet this criteria adjustments will occur on a needs basis and be subject of a review committee made up of CAMS and manufacturer representitives."

Despite the apparent decision, CAMS has left the door open to change the rules should more suitable international rules be formulated in the coming months.

Schenken claimed that FISA was looking at a new international formula, possibly even as soon as December, and CAMS would consider dropping the British rules in favour of the FISA alternative for Class B should it be more suitable.

"It is important to point out that at this time there is no international compatibility because FISA has not yet determined which regulations it wishes to introduce" said Schenken. "We do know that FISA is considering the British and German Touring Car Championship regulations and may adopt either or both.

"One thing we are clear on is that the German Touring Car Championship regulations envisioned for 1993 are not acceptable for Australian road-racing, so at this time the British rules are more attractive.

"However, should they change, or should other countries adopt the FISA formula which meets our requirements, CAMS will review it's position."

The decision to adopt the two-litre British rules has already met with the disapproval of the companies most likely to run cars in the small-car class.

BMW, in particular, flagged it's desire for CAMS to adopt internationally- recognised rules, and has signalled it's intention to lobby CAMS to follow the yet-to-be defined FISA rules.

"I'm very confident that there will be a 2.5-litre international class and i think it will be introduced this year, so we're working towards that." said BMW's Managing Director, Ron Meatchem.

"We'll put the Japanese and European philophosy to CAMS, so far there has only been my own view as BMW so far.

"Now we're working with the manufacturers group and there'll be a view from the Japanese and European manufacturers that 2.5-litres is what we want."

While BMW is one of the leading lights in the British championship, Meatchem believes the two-litre cars would not be competitive against the local V8s.

"A two-litre M3 would be about 20 percent off our curent M3, which would put us on about 2m 26s at Bathurst, which means we haven't got a hope in hell," said Meatchem at the '93 rules lauch.

"The two-litre formula is fine if everybody is running two-litre cars, and it works in England because everybody is running two-litre cars, but it can't work when you've got five-litres or whatever, and that's the problem for CAMS."

*A picture accompanying the article was of the late Keith Odor's Nissan Primera and Gary Ayles' Toyota Carina from the 1991 BTCC, the caption reading:- "CAMS formula for Touring Cars after 1992 calls for British Tourers like the Nissan Primera and Toyota Carina to race against locally-built Holden and Falcon V8s"
monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #30
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephoenix View Post
is the mid ohio race still happening in 2020 or was this a thing of the past?
thanks
2006. This happened many years ago. Not any time recently.
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > AF in General > AF News