Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
jerryg2112
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Ford windstar Not starting.. Replaced the ecm 3 times got it to start then it stopped again after 3 days.. NEED HELP!!

I agree with scubacat. I changed my fuel pump only last January and within a short time I kept smelling gas. When I finally figured out where the smell was coming from it turned out to be the seam in the plastic elbow of the fuel pump assembly where it comes out of the tank. Had to buy the whole assembly anyway after buying just the pump and had to do the job again 6 months later plus all the trouble of figuring out where it was leaking. If you don't want to spend for the Motorcraft but want a better part than the cheap stuff at Autozone check out RockAuto. They have a larger selection of parts to pick from and better brands too. I've bought from them many times and have been very satisfied.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 Ford windstar Not starting.. Replaced the ecm 3 times got it to start then it stopped again after 3 days.. NEED HELP!!

I find the "whole sending unit" (pump and all the level control goodies, mounted on the top of the fuel tank ... hanging down inside.) to be about as well-priced as the pump replacement. It will include the pressure sensor as well. I would replace the whole thing. On my '99 (near 375K miles) I have had to replace the fuel pump a few times ... more than most, I'm sure. I seem to get about 60k-80k miles off of a pump before it starts acting flaky. One failed outright ... it was bad "out of the box".

Maybe the 2000 is different, but my 1999 does not have a ECM. I have looked just now at the electrical diagram book. My PCM controls the engine and tranny. The PCM ain't cheap, several hundred bucks I would think. ... and it takes a lot of Ford proprietary equipment to install properly. I have never had any issues with my PCM ...its been bullet-proof! I wonder what you have been replacing...?? what is a ECM ?...and why??
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

A ECM is a Engine Control Module
ddavis4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
ddavis4791
AF Newbie

Would the Bosch Fuel Pump Module Assembly with Sending Unit be a good brand to buy because the Motorcraft one is over $300 and i can get the Bosch for $219
ddavis4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #20
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis4791 View Post
Would the Bosch Fuel Pump Module Assembly with Sending Unit be a good brand to buy because the Motorcraft one is over $300 and i can get the Bosch for $219
Remember the pump unit that I wrote was "bad out of the box"? Well guess what brand it was? Yes, Bosch! I thought I could not do better than Bosch ... well not this time. Frankly, I find AirTex sold at AutoZone to be as good as any ... not perfect, but good. I have also used the Ford brand ... its OK, but I can't justify the extra bucks.
What ever brand you get, really give it a good look-over before installing ... compare closely with the unit you are removing. Sometimes the wrong unit gets into the box. Sometimes parts are missing that they intend for you to remove from the old unit. Sometimes, the new unit is complete and ready to go ... but make sure before you install and re-raise that fuel tank. You can save yourself a lot of grief.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #21
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis4791 View Post
A ECM is a Engine Control Module
I'm trying to help. I wish you would not play the "three letter acronym game" me ... I know what ECM means ... and I have written that Ford does not use that term in their electrical diagrams. Ford uses the term PCM (controls the engine and tranny) it is a 104-pin device and it plugs into a receptacle close to the RH hood hinge. I am trying to find out what you have replaced (please don't say "ECM" again!) ... I don't think you replaced three of the PCM's at over $100 (exchange) each .....and now you have budget concerns for the cost of a fuel pump ...?? ....that does't add-up. The Windstar has several electronic control modules on board ... I'm trying to find out exactly what you replaced.

where was this gadget , this ECM, that you replaced? .... where under the hood exactly, or in the car exactly?...where did you purchase them?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2000 , ecm , ford , windstar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar