Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

2000 Ford Windstar - fuel tank display failure & flahing lights & rear heat

I have a 2000 Windstar SEL that has 180,000 miles on it.

Today, while driving, the fuel gage went crazy. I only had approximately 3 gallons of gas left in the tank, the message display stated 42 miles left, so I knew I had to refuel shortly. However, then the needle on the dash display dropped below the red mark and the message display said fuel error.

Startled, I decided to drive to the nearest gas station which was 100 yards away, to add some additional fuel to see if it would fix my problem. However, when I signaled to turn right, I noticed the signal light was blinking much faster than normal. Then without doing anything, and with the climate controls off, the rear heat came on.

At the gas station I turned off the vehicle, and added 10 gallons to the tank. Upon restarting the vehicle, the fuel error returned, but rear heat had stopped. While driving, the fuel gage returned to normal, but as I continued over the next five miles the fuel gage needle would drop below the red line, and I would recieve the fuel error message, but then return back to normal. This happed over and over again.

I finished my errands and then went home. After an hour I went back to the vehicle in the garage, and started it up. Everything worked fine. I ran another errand and after a while the fuel gage started going awry again. Plus the turn signals were blinking too fast again.

Later in the evening I went out for another short errand. This time the fuel display stayed below the red line, and the climate control would not come on. It was cool this evening, so I was looking for heat, but it would not turn on.

After returning home, and after the vehicle was off with the key removed I found that rear Driver's side RED brake light remained on, the rear Passenger Side Yellow turn signal remained on too, and the light beneath the glove compartment inside the vehicle on the passenger side stays on. I have tried to turn these off, but after several attemps of starting the vehicle and turning if off, I've given up. Its been 3 hrs now and the lights are still on.

What is causing the van to act so strangley? But more importantly... How do I fix it?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
mark_gober
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Ford Windstar - fuel tank display failure & flahing lights & rear heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I have a 2000 Windstar SEL that has 180,000 miles on it.

Today, while driving, the fuel gage went crazy. I only had approximately 3 gallons of gas left in the tank, the message display stated 42 miles left, so I knew I had to refuel shortly. However, then the needle on the dash display dropped below the red mark and the message display said fuel error.

Startled, I decided to drive to the nearest gas station which was 100 yards away, to add some additional fuel to see if it would fix my problem. However, when I signaled to turn right, I noticed the signal light was blinking much faster than normal. Then without doing anything, and with the climate controls off, the rear heat came on.

At the gas station I turned off the vehicle, and added 10 gallons to the tank. Upon restarting the vehicle, the fuel error returned, but rear heat had stopped. While driving, the fuel gage returned to normal, but as I continued over the next five miles the fuel gage needle would drop below the red line, and I would recieve the fuel error message, but then return back to normal. This happed over and over again.

I finished my errands and then went home. After an hour I went back to the vehicle in the garage, and started it up. Everything worked fine. I ran another errand and after a while the fuel gage started going awry again. Plus the turn signals were blinking too fast again.

Later in the evening I went out for another short errand. This time the fuel display stayed below the red line, and the climate control would not come on. It was cool this evening, so I was looking for heat, but it would not turn on.

After returning home, and after the vehicle was off with the key removed I found that rear Driver's side RED brake light remained on, the rear Passenger Side Yellow turn signal remained on too, and the light beneath the glove compartment inside the vehicle on the passenger side stays on. I have tried to turn these off, but after several attemps of starting the vehicle and turning if off, I've given up. Its been 3 hrs now and the lights are still on.

What is causing the van to act so strangley? But more importantly... How do I fix it?

Fulcrum

Although I've never seen a problem like yours, after looking at the electronics diagrams, I'm pretty sure you have a bad "rear electronics module". The REM controls various functions on the Windstar. The A/C as well as the fuel level and rear lighting go through it. The good news is that you should be able to pick on up in a junkyard for fairly cheap and I don't believe that the FEM has any sort of wierd deal that requires you to get it reflashed before it'll work in your car.

Good luck.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: gif 59-6.gif (46.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: gif 59-7.gif (45.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: gif 59-8.gif (48.1 KB, 9 views)
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

Thanks for the input!

I looked over the pictures you supplied, and they showed that the REM (Rear Electronics Module) also controls the sliding doors and their locks. Recently, there has been problems with the sliding doors unlocking and sliding open too.

After reading your post, my wife informed me that she has also noticed that recently the front passenger door lock may not always lock down when the vehicle is being driven.

Since I live in Michigan, near Detroit, I should be able to find a good junkyard to look through. However, I don't know what the REM looks like, or where it is found. Does anyone have a picture?

I tried to look it up on the RockAuto website, but I did not find it.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Any help would be appreicated!

Fulcrum
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

I see there is another thread within this Forum related to the REM for the Windstar, so I'll list it here for reference.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t908...ar_lights.html

And looking around the web I found a picture showing the location...

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3onwz...wont-when.html

Fulcrum

Last edited by Fulcrum; 04-16-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
mark_gober
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Thanks for the input!

I looked over the pictures you supplied, and they showed that the REM (Rear Electronics Module) also controls the sliding doors and their locks. Recently, there has been problems with the sliding doors unlocking and sliding open too.

After reading your post, my wife informed me that she has also noticed that recently the front passenger door lock may not always lock down when the vehicle is being driven.

Since I live in Michigan, near Detroit, I should be able to find a good junkyard to look through. However, I don't know what the REM looks like, or where it is found. Does anyone have a picture?

I tried to look it up on the RockAuto website, but I did not find it.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Any help would be appreicated!

Fulcrum

I believe that the REM is located in the passenger side rear part of the vehicle. If my memory serves me correctly, it's located behind the jack compartment...although admittedly I've never replaced it.

It should just be a metal box that resembles the PCM in most vehicles.

Mark
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark_gober For This Useful Post:
Fulcrum (04-21-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

Update...

I had my battery and alternator tested at a local auto parts store. They said my alternator was a little low on its ouput. It was running at 14.1V when measured. They said it should be higher around 15+V. They pointed to the enginge belt and stated that it was a little loose. Does anyone know what it should be?

The alternator is only 4 months old (I replaced it with a rebuild one), and the belt is 6 months old. The belt felt tight to me.

I took it to the repair garage, and they ignored the parts store recommendations, but they believe that it is the REM. They had a little bit of difficulty getting to it, since the rear hatch door remains locked with the van misbehaving.

The price tag for a new one is $360, and the part number is YF2T-13B524-BA. However I found a used one a "Scrap Busters" today in VanBuren Twp for $15, however the part number is 1F2T-13B524-AE and is from an LX windstar, not the SEL I have.

I'm hoping it works well enough to prove out if it is the REM that is causing the problem or not. If it is the REM, then I may just buy a new one, unless I can find one from an SEL.

Fulcrum
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

Fixed!

I just recieved a call from my mechanic. He said everything works. Since I have an SEL, my Windstar has all of the bells and whistles. However, even though the installed REM came from a base vehicle, everything still works, even the back-up sensors in the bumper.

My cost is $15 for the REM, and $148 for the mechanic testing all the wiring coming out of the REM to see if there were any electrial shorts.

I have not picked-up the vehicle yet, but after I do I'll comment back as to if everything does actually work.

Since I tow a pop-up camper during the summer months, all of those electrical connectors need to work properly too, as well as the extra trans cooler.

Fulcrum
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

Update,

Everything seems to work except for the Power Sliding Doors. I have not tested the pig tail yet for the towing package, but I suspect that will not work either.

So for others who might benefit from the list.
> Fuel Gauge and LCD Messaging Display, Compass - Work
> Door Locks - Work
> Sun visor Mirrors w lights - Work
> Auto adjust back-up mirror - Work
> Power side mirrors - Work
> Interior Lights - Work
> Exterior Lamps (Brakes, Head Lamps, Turn Signals) - Work
> Radio - Work
> Climate Control - Front - Works
> Climate Control - Rear - Works
> Reverse Sensors in Bumper - Works
> Flooring lights (beneath glove box, bottom of doors) - Work
> Cigarett Lighters ( 2-Front, 1 Rear) - Work
> Dash lights - Work

Let me know if I missed anything.

Just a special note, another item that went awry a week before this complete failure was the Back-Up sensors would trigger as soon as reverse gear was engaged.

Also for the past 10 months, we could not get anything but heat from the rear climate system. This is all fixed now.

Last but not Least.... SPECIAL THANKS TO MARK GOBER FOR FIELDING MY QUESTION, AND STEERING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Fulcrum
Old 05-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Fulcrum
AF Newbie

Update...

Those rear doors were driving my kids nuts. My kids are 11, 9, 6.5, 5 years old. Well the two oldest could open and shut them, but the youngst 2 could not even open them.

My wife drives the van, so although she was getting stronger from the work-out, when opening and shutting the doors, she didn't appreciate it.

So yesterday on Craigslist I found another 2000 Windstar SEL that still had the module. I purchased it for $35. The part number matched up exactly with my original. Everything, including the automatic doors now work.

I also picked up a few other things from the vehicle.

Took me a total of 20 mins to replace, and my wife is happy.

Fulcrum