Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
commutatus
AF Newbie

Question 1998 Windstar no 2nd or 3rd gear upshift

I have a 1998 Windstar which just stopped shifting from first to second or third. I still have 1st and Reverse gear but no 2nd or 3rd. Feels like vehicle goes to neutral. Any ideas on problem that a moderately able male can make repair?
commutatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: 1998 Windstar no 2nd or 3rd gear upshift

Does the O/D light in the gear select blink?
A blinking O/D light is an indication of a transmission issue.
Even if you have not noticed this.....I would get the OBDII codes read as they include many transmission failure codes that can help you diagnose the problem.

Not shifting up in gears is a "limp" mode for the transmission.
However, there can be other causes for this.
It could be as simple as the Transmission Range Sensor aka Neutral Safety Switch or as bad as a problem inside the transmission (too many possibilities to list).

Another thing to try is to check the transmission fluid level.
Vehicle on level ground, gear select in PARK, engine warm and running at idle.
Even a little low can be an issue.
Correct fluid is a fluid that meets the Mercon V specification.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1998 Windstar no 2nd or 3rd gear upshift

I had a problem with my Windstar transmission where it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd (or 4th). When it would attempt to shift to 3rd it felt like neutral, but if I increased the engine speed enough it would engage, so this was similar to first in reality. These were the symptoms when the selector was set to "D".

If I changed the selector to "2", then it would always run in 2nd gear (which is normal behaviour). If I ran it in "1" then it would always stay in first gear, again the normal operation.

There are three solenoids under the transmission cover (on the side). These are how the computer controls the transmission. If you drain most of the fluid, then the cover can be removed without removing the whole transmission, so these can be changed reasonably easy.

I made a small diagnostic electrical circuit with LED lights to test that the transmission was getting the right signals before removing the side cover. I connected the circuit to the wiring harness that goes into the top of the transmission using straight pins pushed through the wires that connect the computer to the solenoids. I found that the computer was sending the correct commands (by comparing with the Ford service information) and that the transmission circuit was OK.

When I removed the side cover, I check each of the solenoids for operation and they seemed OK. Since I couldn't find any problem, I put them back in, but shifting their positions so that the problem should move to a new symptom if one of the three were not working in the transmission.

In the end, I had to rebuild the transmission, and I never was certain that I found the cause of the problem, but it was repaired with the transmission was re-installed in the vehicle.

I replaced the following items: Internal wiring harness (including the connector), all three solenoids, the clutch o-rings. I also disassembled the valve body (one valve at a time!) and checked for smooth movement. Any sticking valves were gently honed to make sure they would not stick in operation. I also thoroughly cleaned the valve body in case debris was preventing the valves from moving.

Now, I don't consider myself a master mechanic by any means. I had the luxury of alternative transportation while I worked to resolve this, so I was not under pressure to do it quickly. It allowed me to research and spend time doing each step carefully.

Also, Winwind makes a good point... the PCM stores transmission codes that even a less expensive code reader will report. Mine reported a code P0734 (Incorrect 4th gear ratio). I guess this was obvious given the symptoms, but it helped to use the troubleshooting guide and potential causes listed in the diagnostic guide.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ax4s , transmission , upshift , windstar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar