Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Nox
AF Newbie

Has anyone tried these repair manual cds being sold on Ebay for $11

Sounds a little too good to be true, but since the Fordcds.com free manuals site has been shut down, it looks tempting.
Have a look:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-WINDSTA...#ht_2173wt_905

That is unless anyone knows something that I dont about where to get free manuals. Or, I could be the stone tablet books from ebay for $60-$80.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: Has anyone tried these repair manual cds being sold on Ebay for $11

I don't have any information to pass along about those CDs.
I do like the information that I got through Alldatadiy......a online subscription to factory service manuals.
Also includes Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs)...which are updated constantly as they come out.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

I did get one similiar off of ebay for my 98 and later bought a paperback edition service manual and it does not have some of the info the paperback does. Have you looked for a paperback on ebay??? Wiswind's suggestion might be the best route.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Nox
AF Newbie

Yeah, I know I can get hard copies from ebay as I said for ~$80
I personally have used Alldatadiy for about 2 years and I think it is terrible. Very poor layout, hard to find what you want and it is missing items and lacks detail. I have used "real" manuals and they are typically much better for major work especially.

Although I have to admit I have used Alldatadiy successfully for some things, it just has a very poor structure...IMO

Last edited by Nox; 01-31-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: addition
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Yeah, I know I can get hard copies from ebay as I said for ~$80
I personally have used Alldatadiy for about 2 years and I think it is terrible. Very poor layout, hard to find what you want and it is missing items and lacks detail. I have used "real" manuals and they are typically much better for major work especially.

Although I have to admit I have used Alldatadiy successfully for some things, it just has a very poor structure...IMO
The cd I got is helpful but does not have any info on the body of vehicle, for $11.00 I think would be helpful to have. just my opinion.

autozone.com has repair manuals that are like haynes or chiltons online just register. Your local library may also have EBSCOHOST available which has Auto Repair Reference Center in it.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Ford Motorcraft offers a web based subscription service to factor service manuals, including TSB's. It's more expensive than alldiydata, but the manuals are 100% factory quality. The last time I purchased, it was about $18/month. They also offered shorted periods and yearly rates.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
paker
AF Newbie

I don't have the specific DVD, but the Ford Service Manual DVD's I bought were all good.
paker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj76 View Post
Ford Motorcraft offers a web based subscription service to factor service manuals, including TSB's. It's more expensive than alldiydata, but the manuals are 100% factory quality. The last time I purchased, it was about $18/month. They also offered shorted periods and yearly rates.
At $18/month I think I'll fumble through the Alldata version and seek out my friends and on-line friends for what they dont have.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Windstartled
AF Regular

To the driveway mechanic most shop manuals are lacking because we don't all have the knowledge and experience that the publisher expects the intended readers to have. For example they tell you where this and that part are located but don't explain how to get to it and what tools are required, because mechanics and technicians are supposed to know this already.

Also exploded views of the engine and transmission are not included in most typical shop manuals, they just refer the reader to the Essex engine manual (if you have the 3.8) and AXxx transmission manual, which makes sense but is not practical for us. This applies to many other parts as well. In my experience the most extensive reference resources are to be found in engineering manuals for a particular model, but these are hard to come by and very expensive. Even if 80% of what is written in those engineering manuals is pure gibberish to most of us, the photos, diagrams and graphics are very useful. They even have detailed views of every bolt and nut used on the vehicle.
1995 BMW 540i 4.0L V8 - Weirdest car ever owned
Windstartled is offline   Reply With Quote