Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #16
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 98 4L60E No second gear

the code you will get is with a GM drive train code reader. not some low end type reader for the CEL. If you have a $2K scanner/reader it should get those tranny codes. these owners had wiring problems . you need to replace the wiring /connector and also make sure the wires to tranny are not defective . I would also check PCM wiring/connectors . Having a manual with the wiring diagrams you can locate these and using a meter find the bad wire.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblazer02 View Post
Thoughts on ignition switch causing issue?? Or how to test. Thanks.
If the Tranny shift indicator is lit then the ign sw is sending power to the "trans" fuse.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Tblazer02
AF Newbie

Hi all. Thanks for all suggestions and advice. These forums are the best. I finally solved my "no 2nd gear" problem. Quick recap. Issue showed up after complete rebuild. Would go from first to third after speed was high enough and you let off the gas. Problem was too much help. My neighbor was helping me and when he cleaned the 2-4 servo and reassembled, he put the smaller return spring on the inside of the 2nd apply piston assembly and the large white spring on the outside slipping over the pin. The larger spring would not collapse enough, shortening the stroke of the pin when 2nd gear tried to shift, keeping the band from engaging. Since the 4th apply piston pushed the pin through the 2nd apply piston, 4 was not effected. All is well now, hard lesson learned, but I can drop a pan and valve body like a mad man now. Thanks again.
Tblazer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Hi all. Thanks for all suggestions and advice. These forums are the best. I finally solved my "no 2nd gear" problem. Quick recap. Issue showed up after complete rebuild. Would go from first to third after speed was high enough and you let off the gas. Problem was too much help. My neighbor was helping me and when he cleaned the 2-4 servo and reassembled, he put the smaller return spring on the inside of the 2nd apply piston assembly and the large white spring on the outside slipping over the pin. The larger spring would not collapse enough, shortening the stroke of the pin when 2nd gear tried to shift, keeping the band from engaging. Since the 4th apply piston pushed the pin through the 2nd apply piston, 4 was not effected. All is well now, hard lesson learned, but I can drop a pan and valve body like a mad man now. Thanks again.
so what was the problem before you did the rebuild ? no second gear ? or you had some other tranny issue ?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #20
Tblazer02
AF Newbie

I had traded for the trailblazer with a slipping trans. It would move enough when I got it to get on and off the trailer but that was it, so I never got to get out and really test it. Fluid was totally burnt, friction plates were pretty much shot and pan was full of sludge when I tore it apart.
Tblazer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #21
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I had traded for the trailblazer with a slipping trans. It would move enough when I got it to get on and off the trailer but that was it, so I never got to get out and really test it. Fluid was totally burnt, friction plates were pretty much shot and pan was full of sludge when I tore it apart.
so you really never knew the complete condition. you did the correct actions by back tracking and checking all the proper part placement. not a typical forum type help issue but it does show you must be careful with all those springs . very tricky ..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado