Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #151
icon_modeler
AF Regular

Re: 1/8 Porsche 908/03

SB,

Verrrrrryyyyy Nice. It looks very convincing. Now can you shrink that down to 1/12th scale .

BTW feel free to post any of the photo's I sent you they are mine so no need to worry about copyright.

Icon Modeler

Last edited by icon_modeler; 10-12-2009 at 10:55 PM.
icon_modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #152
tony126c2
AF Regular

SB ...your work is a real joy and inspiration...thanks!
tony126c2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #153
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

A++++++++++++ work!

Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #154
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello!

I've not made rapid progress during the last 7-10 days - I picked up a cold / sore throat which in addition to putting me off my food, has also made modelling less appealing. However, work has continued at a reduced pace - I've been deciding how to make the various fuel and oil-line fittings:

The larger oil fitting on the left is made to suit 4mm nitrile cord. The right-angle bend section is a piece of model-kit sprue, cut to length and drilled. The nuts are M3 with styrene spacers (thanks, Ian T).

The smaller fuel fitting uses 2mm wire-sheath, with the bend made from plastic-coated 0.9mm modelling wire. The smaller plastic hex is 2.75mm AF, with M2 nuts.

So far I've been making the components for all the 90-degree bend fittings, but there will eventually have to be some straight fittings made too, in a similar style. For now, I just have a pile of bits:

The fuel collector tank sits in the left-hand side of the engine bay and receives the main fuel feed from the main tanks, before being pumped out to the fuel filter and then on to the fuel injection unit. It's a simple box construction, reinforced on the inside with angle sections. The fittings are all recessed into the outer casing - in reality it's a rubber bag-tank inside a protective ali container, so the fittings aren't attached to the outside.

Finally, having received some very useful reference photos from IconModeler I felt I should add a few to the thread to give you an idea of what I'm aiming for. First up, a rear 3/4 view showing the full engine bay:

Second, a front 3/4 view with the bodywork removed:

Finally, what it will (hopefully) look like sometime in late 2010:

Hope you like them! I'll probably add some more later - they'll help to illustrate what I'm doing.

So, the next week or so will be spent making the other components of the fuel system - filter, pumps, etc - before I start a two-week holiday in November. This will hopefully be a good opportunity to work on some of the more time-intensive parts such as the wheels, tyres, etc. We'll see.

Cheers!

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #155
keefr22
AF Regular

Reduced pace? I wish I could increase my pace to get somewhere near what you can achieve at such reduced pace! Continuing excellent work SB, and your clear explanations of what you are doing are really appreciated!

Thanks for posting those pics of the real thing too - gorgeous racecar!

Looking forward to more as always!

Keef
keefr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #156
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I can't even cut a styrene strip at a straight angle...your scratch building technique is out of this world.
/J
Old 11-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #157
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

A small update to show what I've been up to...

I've been continuing with the fuel system, so here you can see the panel in the left-hand sill to represent the back of the fuel-tank, the cross-pipe which connects the left-hand and right-hand tanks, and the three mountings for the fuel-collector tank (shown in an earlier post)

To be honest, until I saw the photos from IconModeler I didn't even realise the 908-03 had two fuel tanks (although it does make sense). The first 917's had one in each sill, but this was soon changed to a single larger tank in the right-hand sill - I guess I assumed that the smaller-engined 908 wouldn't need such capacity. However, the right-hand tank in the 908 doesn't extend so far into the engine bay, and the left-hand tank only reaches the level of the cockpit bulkhead.

The connector pipe running across the front of the engine bay is simply a length of 4mm styrene tube with another section of kit-sprue to make the bend on the end. A small piece of ali tube covers the joint between the two, and the whole lot is wrapped in masking tape to replicate the heat-proof cloth of the real-thing.

Here's the right-hand sill - the filler neck still needs the cap detailing, but the basics are all here:

I've added two small pipe stubs to the chassis tube running across the top of the front of the engine bay - this allows the left-hand tank to vent back into the filler neck. The rubber 'hoses' are more pieces of 3mm nitrile cord.

The main feed pipe to the fuel pump will connect to the fitting on the rear panel of the tank. I've used more greenstuff to make the weld seams around the top cover and the vent-line stubs - it looks a lot, but there are some very heavy-duty weld runs on all these older Porsche racers!

The plan for this week is to make the fuel pumps and fuel filter, then strip out some more wire to make all the small-diameter fuel hoses. I've cut some more chunks of blue foam to make the tyres (after my practice run earlier in the year) so at some point soon I'll be back on the lathe. I will also try to turn the tapered engine inlet trumpets at the same time...

Cheers!

SB
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #158
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Beautiful work SB - I'm enjoying your build more than mine!

Afraid I've been out of action for a while as I was in a coma for two weeks.

Hope to be back on it soon!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #159
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

So when do you wire it up and add the gas?
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #160
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

I think your gonna need to start again, using metal & at 1:1 scale!!! Amazing building, cant beleave its all stratchbuilt. IS this similar to Tamiyas recent re-release of the 908? Cant wait to see more

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #161
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again,

No photos today- although the fuel pumps are coming along nicely! Thought I should just reply to the last few comments...

Cinqster - hope everything's up and running as soon as possible.

TBT - still some way from adding the gas, unfortunately, but if you search the completed projects you'll find my Can-Am 917-10 which is very much ready to roll!

Ashman - although I work with Formula Ford racecars for a living, my metalworking skills are strictly limited! Besides, I'd only end up burning holes in the bedroom carpet and I'd never get a 1:1 version out of the door...

The comment about the Tamiya release just sent me off on a search, but I couldn't find anything online - I assume you mean the 1:12 Porsche 910 kit? The 6-cylinder 910 coupe ('67) was a few years before the 908-3 ('70) but other than the use of a tube-frame chassis there's not much in common between the two. I guess the main influences for the 908-3 were the earlier 910 and 909 Bergspyder hillclimb cars - about 275bhp in a car weighing less than 450kg!

SB
Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #162
keefr22
AF Regular

Outstanding!! I really can't think of anything else to say!

Keef
Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #163
917fan
AF Newbie

Wow! Most impressive. Any chance of putting a scale ruler next to some of the pictures so we get a clearer ides of scale?
917fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #164
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello!

Couldn't resist it - here's what I've been up to in the first week of my holiday. Firstly, here's the fuel pumps and the fuel filter:

The two pumps are about 16mm tall, the filter 19mm. I've added more detail compared to the previous ones on the 917's, and everything is to suit the scratch-built pipe fittings shown earlier. The two pumps will hang down from a couple of brackets (not shown) in the sills of the engine bay, and the filter hangs from one of the upper side tubes. When everything is fitted to the chassis, I'll add some wiring, etc, to suit.

Next up, after the Mk2 gearbox it was now necessary to re-make the main mountings. I started with two lengths of 3/16" tube, pinned into the bottom chassis rail for strength, with a small link on each to keep them steady:

(you can still see the two small holes in the bottom cross-rail from the Mk1 mountings - they were too far forwards, and the right-hand mount was much too close to the fuel injector drive pulley)

I then added the two reinforcing plates coming out to the sides of the engine bay. On the right-hand side I added two large holes (approx 11mm diameter) through which the gear linkage will pass:

After adding the smaller pieces to box it all in, I added plenty of greenstuff to cover up the gaps and give a flavour of the typical heavy-duty welding on these cars. I'm not joking - I'll post another of the reference photos and you'll see what I mean! Here's the left-hand side:

From above...

...and a close-up of the right-hand side:

Before I closed off the top of the mountings I painted the insides black, as it was easier than leaving it until later. I've just realised that the left-hand side also needs three holes putting through it - I'll have to do that in-situ. The mounting 'ears' coming off the front of the gearbox were both made to lock into the sides to give a stronger joint - all the weight of the engine and 'box goes through these two side mounts and the single one at the front.

So, that's it for today. Tomorrow, I plan to make a mess with the insulating foam and the lathe...

SB
Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #165
keefr22
AF Regular

I really admire your dedication to this project SB, I think I'd have got well fed up with having to keep building to this standard long before now. Not that I could build to this standard in the first place!!

Great stuff!!

Keef

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports