Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
dawbaw
AF Newbie

inside blower

Have 1995 s-10 with small 6. Bought truck approximately 1 month ago. Inside blower works some of the time, but not all the time. As of this writing, the blower is working, but for the first time in a day or so. I can't determine anything that seems to make it start.

Any ideas on the problem? I seem to remember seeing something in some forum that indicated problems my be tied to a switch of some type related to the compressor. I've noticed a "clanking" with the compressor and noted that the clutch seems to be making the noise. Can all of this be related?

As you tell by this post, I'm no mechanic.
Thanks
dawbaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

Re: inside blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawbaw
Have 1995 s-10 with small 6. Bought truck approximately 1 month ago. Inside blower works some of the time, but not all the time. As of this writing, the blower is working, but for the first time in a day or so. I can't determine anything that seems to make it start.

Any ideas on the problem? I seem to remember seeing something in some forum that indicated problems my be tied to a switch of some type related to the compressor. I've noticed a "clanking" with the compressor and noted that the clutch seems to be making the noise. Can all of this be related?

As you tell by this post, I'm no mechanic.
Thanks
When defrost is selected the ac compresser will engage,this is normal.As for your blower working at random,it could be a couple of things.It could be the switch,motor,loose connection.

Stickerchick.com,best decals on the net
Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
RahX
AF Enthusiast

tap on the blower with a hammer when it stops. usually if the motor locks up you can tap on it and itll vibrate it loose and itll start spinning. usually they make a lot of noise at that point. also it could be something inside the housing that is keeping it from turning. it might also be a loose wire. might pop the blower out of its housing and see if there is anything in there. i had a lady complaining about a smell one time (not in an s-10 mind you) i pulled the blower out and found a condom (unwrapped possibly used *barf*) that had gone through the blower motor and was stuck to the heater core. yes i wore gloves and it was gross. but anyway, weird things get sucked up in there. i doubt you will find a condom but you might find a nice mess of leaves.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
NoSpudsInIdaho
AF Newbie

You might also have worn out brushes in the motor or even a dead spot in the windings. This is a 10 year old rig. If the previous owner was like my wife and never turned the fan off, you can pretty much count on the brushes being shot. If you can get the blower to start/stop working by jumping in and out of the off position, it's probably time for a new motor. The good news is that a new blower motor is only about $40 and not too hard to change.
NoSpudsInIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10