Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
patoffspyder
AF Regular

Re: F430 : Revell USA VS Fujimi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari2k
That with the 430 Spider is wrong, I am just building one from Revell
Really? Is it made by Revell Germany? Don't know if Revell USA will release one too.
patoffspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #17
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbench
I’ve got the Revell F430, as it was a lot cheaper then the Fujimi version. I’ve not built it yet, but it is fully detailed, and I felt it was fairly well proportioned, although I’ve heard a few screaming it’s not.

I’ve got a few Fujimi kits as well, and I’ve only built one to date – The WRX STi, a kit that was rumoured to be Fujimi’s best tooled kit to date. I will be honest, it drove me insane in the end, as even though it fitted fine, I totally missed that the ride height was so poor it looked horrid when completed.

Sadly, it did kinda put me off Fujimi, Revell are no better I guess but I’ve built Revell kits, and they start bad, so you take more time from the start, whereas the Fujimi fooled me a little. It started off perfectly fine, so I got lured into a false sense, and so wasn’t careful, and paid the price.

Me, I’m going to build the F430, I’ve already worked out if you put bigger wheels on it, it looks a whole different model, and much better. I’m more wary of Fujimi now.
It's a wonder you build at all, you sure don't seem to enjoy it?

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
It's a wonder you build at all, you sure don't seem to enjoy it?
That’s right, I hate the hobby and I shall never build another model again. Thank you for that moment of clarity. I really feel like, well all the answers to my little conundrums on life have now been answered. You should be proud.

I shall now perhaps print that statement off, so as it will always be close to me and so that I shall never forget such great words of wisdom.

For your kindness, I’ll give you something in return. Some call it a sign, its basically two fingers…..
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Give me whatever sign you like, over here it's just one finger though so it's even easier. And I'm sorry you feel that way, I was just saying, since you seem to gripe a lot about kit quality, it's sort of an ongoing thing. I'm sort of wondering if you've found a kit that's just what you want? That goes together without any effort and has all the detail you could possibly imagine? When you find it, let me know, I'd love to build it! But then, if building was so easy, I don't think I'd have any fun. Can't please everyone, I guess....

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 AM   #20
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Honestly Mick sometimes you'll see other's posts with a bit of humor, and joke over: I can't give lessons to ADULTS but isn't the case to be pissed for our great hobby: or haven'y you enought troubles in real life? I have enought, and take my hobby and relationship with friends here around easy&fun, or at least I try to do.

However fun gag guys

BTW, comming back to the topic I own both, th fuji and I bought for cheap the revell to steal the engine: at least is really hard to put in the fuji belly something (I bought also a Tamy 360 spider to steal the engine, at least)

The Fuji 430 is really good to me, crispy and well formed bodyshell and something decent also in the interiors, good seat and door's panels, awesome decals and really good wheels, decent tyres.

The only decent stuff in the revell kind is the price I guess (also here we haven't all this difference: just a 30% discount for the revell: no dubt to me)
Old 05-11-2006, 04:12 AM   #21
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimo
Give me whatever sign you like, over here it's just one finger though so it's even easier. And I'm sorry you feel that way, I was just saying, since you seem to gripe a lot about kit quality, it's sort of an ongoing thing. I'm sort of wondering if you've found a kit that's just what you want? That goes together without any effort and has all the detail you could possibly imagine? When you find it, let me know, I'd love to build it! But then, if building was so easy, I don't think I'd have any fun. Can't please everyone, I guess....
I wasn’t griping about the Fujimi kit being no good, I don’t even own it... How can I possibly even have griped about the Fujimi 430 being no good, if I’ve never even opened the box to take a look? I merely said I’d only built one Fujimi to date, and I’d messed it up by my own in-experience and not test fitting enough in the early stages of building.

Jesus, I even apologised for the whinging I did about that, and the silly posts I made out of frustration and anger. Obviously I’m inferior as I obviously want it all on a plate, might as well go and buy die casts, take it out the package and plonk it on the shelf – and then I can post on here griping that the chassis is made of metal.

And anyhow as I do own the Revell F430, I feel for the money it is VERY good value. I fail to see how the hell you came to the conclusion that I was griping on about lack of detail etc… when all I was saying is that the Revell is good value.

Anyhow, I can easily flick the single if that’s what you prefer. Nah, what the heck I’ll stick with the two fingers, wouldn’t want anyone thinking I’m trying to make it all too easy for myself.
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #22
Thegs
AF Newbie

Here are both Revell F430 and f430 Spider kit:

I made a little dryfit of the Spider to see if it looks like de normal F430. The changes are no roof (for real :P), little rollcage, other hood, and other wall inside enginecompartement:

And 2 pictures standing brotherly together:

My oponion, both F430 and F430 Spider from Revell are very nice kits. Mayby even the best Revell's i've ever seen. With a little correction here and there (remove chrome and replace wit Polished Aluminium, replace molded mesh with real mesh and fill the back of the seats), they will look perfect for you're collection.

Gerwin
Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #23
gasman03
AF Enthusiast

Thegs, is there a uptop convertible top for the Revell F430 convertible. its one of the things that turned me away from the Revell 360 convertible. no uptop
gasman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #24
Thegs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman03
Thegs, is there a uptop convertible top for the Revell F430 convertible. its one of the things that turned me away from the Revell 360 convertible. no uptop
Then be disappointed again, still no uptop. You can only build it the way like my dryfit. But of couse you can scratch build it yourself

Gerwin
Old 05-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #25
ales
Forza Schumacher

Does the engine cover in the Revell spider kit come with open vents or did you open them up yourself? What about the revell berlinetta engine cover?

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #26
Thegs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales
Does the engine cover in the Revell spider kit come with open vents or did you open them up yourself? What about the revell berlinetta engine cover?
The vents of the Spider are OOTB, I only dryfittes the Spider, this is how it comes out of the box (there's even more, but I didn't had more time). The F430 has molded vents and they don't look easy to open (small vents). I decided to keep them Revell's way and just paint them.

Gerwin
Old 05-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #27
Chuck Kourouklis
AF Regular

Well, what the hell, I got 'em both, too.

The Fujimi kit is a high water mark for recent efforts out of Shizuoka City. Very nice processing, very crisp and shiny body shell, very good fit, and for once, a chassis you won't have to totally reengineer.

I'd agree with everyone else that the tires ain't none too hot; guess economies of scale have finally done away with that beautiful rubber we always used to get. I also found that the plating wasn't complete on my wheels, but that's fixed easily enough.

Against this, the Polish-produced Revell AG kit doesn't have anywhere near the refinement; you'll have plenty of sinkmarks to fill and some heavy parting lines to remove. It also doesn't help that the spindles are located too far inboard for realistic steering, and that the wheels are too small in diameter, a matter especially exacerbated by the low-profile front rubber. And while we're on that subject, it would appear you have to orient the tread of the front tires backwards in order for them to fit the wheels properly.

That said, I would still maintain that Revell's kit is considerably better than half model at half to third the price. The proportions are satisfactory, and although the engine and upper framework comprise only ten pieces, the representation is pretty complete nonetheless. I'd say it's a considerable improvement over the 360 Modena that preceded it.

Ya sees the pictures above; ya pays the money, ya takes your choice. It's more work, but the Revell kit may be the one to get if you got skills and you're on a budgie.
Chuck Kourouklis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #28
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kourouklis

you'll have plenty of sinkmarks to fill and some heavy parting lines to remove.
where are the sink marks and lines to remove?
I need to know when I get it and work on it.

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #29
Chuck Kourouklis
AF Regular

The worst cases I found were in the front fascia, right above those two grille nostrils, and right at the mold parting lines as they bisect the front wheel openings; that latter causes a distinct transition in sharpness between the front and back halves of the bodywork arch over the wheels, so you may find it necessary to build the rear halves up a little to give them a sharper edge, especially once you've removed the parting lines.

The mold seams toward the rear are also prominent enough that some skim coats of putty may be necessary to level everything back out once you've removed them.

I find it curious that people say Revell's proportions are off; that was certainly the case with the 360's, but casual side-by-side glances with the Fujimi kit indicate Revell is much closer this time.
Chuck Kourouklis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #30
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

if the kits were both the same priced, which one would you get?
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling