Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What increase did you see?
0-5% 9 28.13%
6-10% 3 9.38%
11-15% 2 6.25%
16-20% 1 3.13%
21-25% 2 6.25%
26-30% 1 3.13%
31-35% 6 18.75%
36-40% 1 3.13%
41-45% 1 3.13%
46-50% 0 0%
51-55% 1 3.13%
56-60% 0 0%
61-65% 1 3.13%
66% or higher 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #46
OverBoardProject
Banned

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Oh Shoot, there goes all the fun of buying Acetone! LOL.

I just about have my boss convinced to try using it on some of his old equiptment. I'm curios how much longer a machine will run with it added to the tanks.

Even a 20% increase is still 1 free day a week per machine 100+ gallons of fuel per machine a day really adds up

I don't think thay he'll try it on his 2 new trucks unless it really seems to work without any problems
Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #47
john m
AF Newbie

Hi, John M here. I have 2 vehicles, a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 PU with 5.9l 4 speed auto, and the test car, a 1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport
Year:1972
Make:Ford
Model:Gran Torino Sport
Engine: 400cid, 2bbl factory stock 3 speed Auto C6 Tranny
Mods: 7"chrome Magnums(front)8"chrome MagnumsRear
Driving type/style:City(to and from car shows)
Before Avg Milg: 12 mpg city, 15 mpg highway
After: ????
Getting ready to fill up and add the acetone. Hope it helps.
I don't feel comfortable messing with the Dodge, what with the fuel injection, sensors and computer and all. I'd hate to screw up something that I can't fix myself. I'm familar with the Torino having re-builit the engine 2 years ago and restored the body, interior and had the top replaced.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #48
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

I look forward to hearing your results, But when you fill it i would put the acetone in at about 1/4 of the tank and then put the rest of the gas in, I heard that doing that can be the diffrence in it working or not working.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #49
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

I have no way to back that up but i was just thinking that someone told me once the gas stops to not top it off because theres a chance that some gas could evaporate. So if you put the acetone in at the end becasue it evaporates so quickly that it just leaves. Although i doubt it, but just a suggestion
Old 04-13-2005, 06:41 PM   #50
john m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglogonafrogbig
I look forward to hearing your results, But when you fill it i would put the acetone in at about 1/4 of the tank and then put the rest of the gas in, I heard that doing that can be the diffrence in it working or not working.
Hi, John M here, Sounds good to me. Probably will let everything mix more fully than adding the acetone to a full tank. Sure hope it helps. Gas prices here in Tampa, Fla hit $2.29/gal for reg unleaded this morning. It was $2.15 just 3 days ago. Guess I should have filled up both vehicles then!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #51
john m
AF Newbie

Quote:
I have no way to back that up but i was just thinking that someone told me once the gas stops to not top it off because theres a chance that some gas could evaporate. So if you put the acetone in at the end becasue it evaporates so quickly that it just leaves. Although i doubt it, but just a suggestion
John M again-have you ever heard of a Water Injection system used in the early 70's during the gas crunch. It used a glass bottle to hold water and a vacuum line with an adjustable valve going to the base of the carb. It fed a water vaper into the intake and cooled something down which ended up in 1-2 extra miles per gal if I remember right. I wish I could remember more about it. I read about it in Mech. Illustrated I think.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #52
john m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well, I did it. I might have screwed up though. I side cut a spare set of AC plugs I had, Indexed them(at least 6 out of the 8), filled the tank and added 6 oz. of Acetone. I have driven 112 miles(all city-low speed-30-40 mph). Filled up at the same station, same pump, same octane, took 12.6 gal. Averages out to 8.88 mpg. Where I think I may have screwed up, the AC plugs I removed were the expensive AC answer to the Splitfire plugs. I forgot that I had put them in last year. I'm going to run these plugs for another week or two and monitor how they do and then change the plugs back to the expensive ones(I forget what they call them)I'll keep using the Acetone. I also have a homemade Water Injection system that is supposed to help fuel economy but I'll wait to install it for a few weeks. Wish me luck. John M.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #53
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Did you fill it up and then put the acetone in or did you put the acetone in and then fill it up.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #54
john m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Did you fill it up and then put the acetone in or did you put the acetone in and then fill it up.
I had about a quarter of a tank, put in the 6 oz. of Acetone then filled the tank on top of the Acetone. It should have gotten well mixed.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #55
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, i don't know why it didn't work then maybe it just doesn't work with your engine. But you said something about it being old spark pluggs in it i don't think that would make a difrence but i was thinking we tried it in my dads 99 ranger and it didn't work but his plugs are real old 93,000 miles still original plugs. But in my 88 chevy i just replaced the plugs and my mileage seems to have doubled but i can't tell for sure the odometer doesn't work. I need to get a gps unit. So i guess you can try it again with the new plugs and hope for the best
Old 04-19-2005, 11:47 AM   #56
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Also any one else that has tried it, how old are your plugs
Old 04-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #57
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

looks like i mis read you didn't say they were old. But if you tried that side gapping that could of been hurting more than helping, it sounded like a good idea but i tried it on my 7 hp lawnmower and it made things worse it kept backfiring when cranking and it just didn't run as good I know it could work diferent in a truck
Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #58
john m
AF Newbie

Quote:
looks like i mis read you didn't say they were old. But if you tried that side gapping that could of been hurting more than helping, it sounded like a good idea but i tried it on my 7 hp lawnmower and it made things worse it kept backfiring when cranking and it just didn't run as good I know it could work diferent in a truck
The plugs I side gapped were almost new, only 3 months wear on them. (I have never side gapped plugs before, never even heard of it until someone here on this forum suggested it.)They are also AC plugs, AC44ts. I use them as a troubleshooting tool to eliminate plugs as a source of a trouble if I am having a problem. The normal plugs that I have been running are AC-2. They have a different shaped center element and cost about 4 times as much as a regular plug! I used to use Splitfires in my 62 T-Bird and was really happy with them. I think I'll try them next on the Torino.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #59
89camaroperson
Banned

would this quarter of a percent of acetone technique work for a guy with an 89 camaro with an L03. Which is a 305 TBI with 140000 miles. I get about 17-18 if a take it easy which isnt bad i guess but more is better ya know. Im also rebuilding a 73 c-10 with the original 307 and only 70000 on it. its rusted out pretty bad but replacement panels are pretty cheap and i think i can do it. But anyways, the camaro, will it work? I can have this stuff eating out my throttle body. Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #60
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89camaroperson
would this quarter of a percent of acetone technique work for a guy with an 89 camaro with an L03. Which is a 305 TBI with 140000 miles. I get about 17-18 if a take it easy which isnt bad i guess but more is better ya know. Im also rebuilding a 73 c-10 with the original 307 and only 70000 on it. its rusted out pretty bad but replacement panels are pretty cheap and i think i can do it. But anyways, the camaro, will it work? I can have this stuff eating out my throttle body. Thanks

I can't guarantee to you that it would work, but it is always worth a shot and i've used it with success for 3 tanks and I have not noticed any eating out of the throttle body so i pretty sure that it would be fine, just remember to only use about 2-3 ozs per 10 gallons. Good luck

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General