Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
rmcracing
AF Newbie

2000 Accord 4cyl clunking noise

Car sat for a considerable amount of time and decided to get it back on the road. Needed a clutch and lower ball joints is why it sat for so long. Replaced clutch, flywheel, rear main seal, both lower ball joints. Since then, I have a terrible clunking noise in the front end. Sounds like it's on the left side. It sounds like a very warped rotor that scrapes when it hits the hight spot, but metal to metal, not from the pads.
It looked and kinda felt like it could have been from the inner cv joint on the drivers side, so I replaced the whole half shaft with a new one. Still have the noise. I tried to rock the wheel to see if was possibly the wheel bearings, but it's all tight on both sides. The noise goes away under acceleration and de-accleration, and braking. It's when you are giving it enough gas to keep it at speed. Does not matter the speed, although at 30 mph you'd think it was going to fall apart. I had the car up on stands running in gear and it looked like the intermediate shaft may have been loose where it bolts to the block. I checked the three bolts and it's all tight. I did notice that the bearing block was hot after only after about a minute of simulated driving on the jack stands.

The tires on the car are like new (Goodyear triple treads). Is it possible that they are so out of round that it could cause the clunking/scraping noise.

What do you all think?
rmcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
rather_b_boatin
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Accord 4cyl clunking noise

Sounds to me like you awnsered your own question. Bearing is my vote.
rather_b_boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
rather_b_boatin
AF Regular

Afterthought.... If you cannot keep you hand on that bearing housing without burning the skin you have a bad bearing. If you have a temp. gun shoot it, should be around 100 deg F or less. As for your tires, very unlikely that one is out of round unless someone used e-brake to "drift" and wore flat spots into the tread. That will cause whole car to shake, not necessarily isolated front end noise.
rather_b_boatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
rmcracing
AF Newbie

Just an update to answer the problem. It was the tires. I'm going back to Michelins.
rmcracing is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2000 , clunking , noise , scraping
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid