Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Slot Car Modeling
Slot Car Modeling Discuss and show Slot Cars that you have modified, or that you have collected.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Tamar
AF Newbie

Scratch build Lambo Murcie R-GT 2007/ stage 1

Hello Guys
After some doubts as to which forum to post this, I decided that the WIP Motorsports section was still the best option.
As short description of the project...to illustrate my dilemma

Goal of the project is to build a 2007 version of the #8 All Inkl Lamborghini Murciellago R-GT.
The purpose of the project is to race the car in a 1/24 slotrace endurance on the Spa Francorchamps track.
As a base for the project I'm using a Diecast Burgago metal kit

Although the end result will be what could be considered a basic curbside kit. Most of the topic will be on scratch building the body...something a lot of people shy away from because it seems so complicated.
But actually its all basic modelling stuff. all you need is a good pair of eyes, some sheet plastic, some milliput and....lots of time

I'll leave it up to the moderators to move the thread if they feel it should be.

Here are some first pictures, first off all here's the 1/1 car with fellow countryman Peter Kox taking the R-GT on a very tight line over the Silverstone kerbs last weekend.

Then some pics of the 1/24 project

On top is the 2005 R-GT my team mate Nick build a year ago. Its a Fujimi kit & Scaleproduction transkit. Nick did all the bodywork and completely carbon-decalled it! (studio 27) , I made the Reiter/Hollinger decals for him and also helped him cast the resin wheelinserts (reworked Studio 27 Toyota TS010 wheels that resemble the new BBS rims quite well).

Although the car looked great, all those resin ad ons to a modelkit bdoy also made it very fragile (for slot purposes). So when the team decided to enter a 2007 R-GT for the Spa endurance race...it was clear that we needed a GFK laminated body.(Making our own master in the process)

The local hobby shops did not have the Fujimi kit in stock, so I ordered one on line together with an Autoart Murcie slotcar. But as I was waiting for those to arrive....if stumbled across a discarded Burago Metal kit that I'd picked up on E-bay together with a 1/24 C5 (Future project....making a proper 1/24 GLPK C5 R).

With nothing else to do..but looking at the refences pictures...... my fingers were itching and I started to compare the 2 bodies....could I possibly use the Burago...

The funny thing is that although Micheal Graber did a superb job on the Scaleproduction transkit, the R-GT Nick build with it always looked a bit oversized and to bulky, specially at the back. With the transkit it looks wider at the front than at the rear.
To my surprise the Burago Metal kit captured the lines of the Murcuielago better than Fujimi. Specially in the areas around the front windshield and at the rear, the Burago is better. Although the Burago is shorter, it looks slimmer and has a more defined "waistline".

Anyhow...the postman wasn't ringing and my fingers just had to do something so..what the H#** lets start working

A lot of filing and filler to clean up the lines of the metal kit has already been done. Although the parts are quite good, opening doors meant that aligning them was a pain in the *##. One discintive feature on the 2007 model is the central Naca duct on the hood. This is the first time I've used a metal body, but milling the metal was actually quite easy.

According to the reference data the R-GT should be 85,75mm wide in 1/24 which means the Burago has to grow by some 6mm @ the front. I checked the wheel base and this was correct on the Burago.... so no problems there
First step in making the wide front fenders was to enlarge the wheelarches. Got to make room for those 26mm fronts (min diameter described in the Technical rules, true scale wheels are bigger 27mm fornt and 28,5 rear but for slot use this too much rubber)
When I had the right clearance I glued strips of 0.75mm thick plastic sheet in the enlarged wheelarch. These served 2 purposes.
  1. To set the correct witdh
  2. To serve as a foundation for the milliput that I use to build up the fenders

Getting bot fenders the same is alway a diffucult job, so as to be able to keep a good check on their simitry I added the milliput in 2 stages. By first modeling the rear of the fender and the lower part of the front it was easy to keep a check on the thickness and profile of the miliput.

To create the "gap" between the bodywork and the fender I used some double sided foamtape as a spacer. This was easily removable after the milliput hardened.

Here's a pic of the car with the top of the front fender added. Looked good but...something was bothering me

After looking at the ref pictures again and again, I noticed that in profile, the higest point of the front fender was at the centerline of the wheel arch, where as @ my fender the highest point was at the windscreen.
Well...back to the drawing board

Last edited by Tamar; 05-22-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Tamar
AF Newbie

Scratch build Lambo Murcie R-GT 2007 stage 2

Well it looks like "the powers that be" seemed to have decided that this topic belongs in the slotcar modelling forum.

So what if I decide to put the car back on its Burago chassis..do you guys move it back to diecast, or should I start building a scratch chassis and motor...then is it good enough for the WIP motorsports

Personally I think ...well forget about it.

here's an update.

Back to 1/24....here's the Murcie after some late night sessions. Most of the work was concentrated on finding the correct profile of the front fenders. I also sanded the body almost back to the bare metal as a lot of detail had been lost under the several layers of primer.

On of the most distinctive features of the 2007 Lambo are the double rows of louvres on top of the wheel arches. These caused me some considerable headaches, how to make them? As a result I kept working around the problem, thinking I would tackle it later, but as I started to reprofile the front fenders I had to find a solution.......

Going trough my extensive extra parts bin did not bring anything, but I did found some old sheets of plastic sheet, These are actually rooftiles you use for H0 modeltrain houses, I amost forgot I had them, but on set had the correct size and number of tiles for the louvres.

I cut the sheet to shape and as its only 1mm thick it was easy to bend thyem to get the correct curvature. The only problem was that I had to mill 1mm deep recesses on the hood to get them flush with the bodywork.

Here's a picture that shows well how I build up the fenders with Milliput. Really great stuff, its substance is hard enough to model it with a spatula, you can cut it with a sharp knife, and as it is water based, you can smoothen it with a wet tools so you get a finish that hardly needs any sanding. Which is advisable because once its dry it becomes rock hard.

After all the filing and shaping the sharpness of the body lines had dissapeared so I needed to ad some milliput to regain the flat egde around the wheelarches.

Checking the ref pics I also noticed that the airscoop on the roof was much longer, I had some mixed milliput left so I corrected that as well.

The R-GT after stage 2 with a new coat of primer, I was really happy with the result...and then Nick dropped by and said....the front louvers are not aligned, one's more to the left than the other.

Shit....back to the drawingboard :upset:

Tamar

Last edited by Tamar; 05-22-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Re: Scratch build Lambo Murcie R-GT 2007

I can see arguments for either folder.

But either way your work so far and attention to detail is very impressive. I'll look forward to seeing more.
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Tamar
AF Newbie

R-GT 2007 For whom it may concern

Hello Phil and other AF moderators.
Phil thx for the reply
The reason why I sometimes get the feeling of is that the slotcar section of the AF is almost starting to become a private section of Fola and me.

While the main reason of posting on AF is to show & share your work and exchange ideas with other "related spirits". In other words to give and get inspiration. AF is a perfect platform for "cross over" information.

We've got plenty of channels to reach the slot enthousiasts, but most of the stuff us "modelcar" slotracers do concerns scratch building (anything from wheels, wings, bodies, interiors).
I mean it when I said I carefully checked to see which forum to use.

Ok the Diecast section was a bit of a joke, most topics there concern modifying street cars (slap on new wheels, roof chops etc etc)
So no it does not belong there.

Option 2: Slotcar modeling
Discuss and show Slot Cars that you have modified, or that you have collected.
Well yes the end result will be a slotcar, or actually a model(slot)car as we call themn over here. But its not a modification of an existing car, nor is it a finished project (yet)

Which is why I picked
Option 3:Car modeling/ WIP Motorsports
Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Its a Motorsport vehicle, its definately WIP and the fact that in the end I will race the finished model on a slottrack is just added info.

I saw on your signature that you're a jaguar fan..so maybe this will make things more clear.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

As a slot car enthusiast myself (though I race lexan bodied, c-can powered monstrosities, instead of the more "scale" stuff) I understand the desire to get more attention for your builds. Slot Cars frequently only get raised eyebrows and "what's that" reactions when brought up in conversation.

This forum was created to give slot car guys on AF a place to show off their stuff and to draw attention to all aspects of the slot car hobby. Racing, building chassis and motors, and so on. Things that are completely against the purposes of the modeling forums.

In essence, a highly detailed slot car is a well-done model, but the things that make a slot car a slot car demand their own forum for discussion because they are equally fascinating to the shell placed over them.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Tamar
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla's Keeper
As a slot car enthusiast myself (though I race lexan bodied, c-can powered monstrosities, instead of the more "scale" stuff) I understand the desire to get more attention for your builds. Slot Cars frequently only get raised eyebrows and "what's that" reactions when brought up in conversation.

Ok I hope that the redirect from the WIP motorsports section will do just that. Showing that there's more to slot (model)car racing than " racing lexan bodied, c-can powered monstrosities"

Old 05-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Tamar
AF Newbie

Stage 3 Scratch build Lambo Murcie R-GT 2007

Back from the drawingboard........
Repositioned the louvres so that they're more symetrical, managed to loose one in the process
Finally gave up looking for it and cut a new one

Also recorrected the edge where the frontfender joins the hood, looking at the pictures this edge is knife sharp and runs
in line with the headlights.

So with most of the body in its correct shape (or at least so I thought...more about that later) it was time to turn my
attention to some detail parts. Looking at the body for weeks now, I just couldn't stand it anymore....
This car needed a wing ....badly!!!

As you can see on the ref pic, the 2007 R-GT sports a full width rear wing with a raised centre section.
Should not be too difficult, a wayward Carrera C6R was happy to donate one....

But a big problem with the R-GT is the way the rearwing is mounted......way out @the back, and look at those flimsy
supports, there's holes and brackets all over the place!

Ok first things first...the wing. Athough the shape of the C6R is ok, it is way to narrow (79mm) . Figures as the Carrera
is only 82 mm at the back, but to cover the Murcie's ass it needs to be 85 at least.

So I made a silicone mold of the spoiler and poured me 2 resin wings. Why 2, because that's the easiest way to extend
the spoiler and keep the correct profile.

Here are the 2 resin wings. First step is simply to glue both spoilers together @ the endplates.
The wing needs to "grow" by 6mm so..mark 3mm from the endplate and cut!

Glue the part you've got left to the other endplate and cut again. The wing is now 87mm wide (forgot to compensate for
the thickness of the endplate )
Sanding down the endplates was easy and with just a bit of thick superglue as filler the wing was ready for primer.

While I was waiting for the Primer to dry I thought ...what the heck, lets try to do the wing supports. So I took some
0,5mm carbon sheet and started to file and drill and shape..until the primer of the wing had dried....and dried, and dried.
In between I cut 2 slots in the wing for the supports and gave it a quick shot of black so that that could dry as I continued
on the wing supports.......

Here's a pic of the seperate parts, and the assembled wing, not really happy with the shape of the supports,
but then again...when did anything go well on its first try

Cutting the slots in the metal body was a pain...and to keep the wing in its place I stuffed some sponge between the supports.....

But hey...at least the car has a wing...I'll worry about how to make new supports..that are both strong and flexible later...
for now...I'm happy to enjoy the view

Other detail parts that were adressed were new louvres for over the engine bay.....
(the Burago louvres did not run over the full width of the bay)

...and the recessed fuel filler. I glued some 2mm sheet styrene behind the window and cut the oval and shped the sides.
Fillercap came courtesy of an old Nissan 390 kit. Still needs some cleaning up, but not bad for a firsst attempt

Last major job is to build a front splitter and close the side windows, but only the side windows are neccesary before I
can start pouring some silicone. ...progress has been made.

So I'm happy...that is until I get an email that the Autoart Lamborgini that I ordered some time ago (see my post "stage 1")
has finally arrived.
As I get into the car to pick it up ...I think: Oh no...it's like that DBR9 nightmare all over again
(I once worked 2 months on a Renaissance DBR9 and then got my hands on the Spark Aston.....
after one look I dumped the Renaissance in the bin and the Spark in the sillicone )

And indeed, the lines of the Autoart are much sharper, the nose is longer (more correct) the roofline is better and and
and...the detail.......

well back to the drawingboard...again!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
sileightsix
AF Regular

Hello,

Well I for one am rooting for you, Tamar! I love these kinds of projects, and the work you're doing really is quite good. It's too bad this can't hang out in the WIP motorsports section, but it's okay at the same time. You know you are doing good work, and I know this too, so just keep it up and you'll have a really unique awesome kit to race around.

I appreciate you posting all the mis-steps of the build, (no offence, of course.) because that is 3/4 of modelling for sure! It is being able to continue on from those points that really open up the quality of the work. I'm working on some really off the wall projects, but I really enjoy the work I'm doing! I'll check back from time to time, so know you've got at least one real fan of this project!

Thanks again, and take care.
sileightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Tamar
AF Newbie

Hello Sileightsix

THX for your encouraging words.
Learning from your mistakes is what live is all about, I believe you understand that like no other.
Sure f*#k-ups hurt, but afterwards once you've overcome the pain and learned your lesson I at least always feel better.

Reason for me to post these topics is that I see too many people reluctant to try anything that might result in a mistake.
Too affraid of the pain ?

Anyhow, maybe its for the best that this post is now in slot siberia .....
After getting the auto art I first thought I would transplant some of the AA detail parts onto my Burago master......
But the list of transplants grew and grew to such an extend......
that in the end I've decided it would be simpler to accept defeat and to make a mold of the frontfenders of my master and pour a resine copy.
Using those as a transkit for on the Auto Art.

So in the end it will be a "slotcar conversion" after all

I'll be using the pentacost weekend to regain some ground on the project.
Already pulled the Autoart apart, more pictures will follow.

Once you 've noticed a mistake, there's no going back...ignorence is bliss

Last edited by Tamar; 05-27-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
David Napier
AF Newbie

Great work, even if you have decided it was going down a wrong direction. Regarding where this thread is posted on the forum it seems strange to me that the mods couldnt loosen up a little and let some of the most inspirational and true modelling on the forum at the moment remain where it was initially posted rather than sticking it in the comparitive graveyard that the slot forum is, I consider myself lucky to have found this thread, but no doubt many are missing it

Last edited by David Napier; 06-10-2007 at 04:13 PM.
David Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Tamar
AF Newbie

Been there, done that,....

Hello David
thx for the kind words, I'm flattered. but apperently the mods don't share our opinion, so be it.

I'll keep posting anyhow.....

Stage 4: Been there, done that,.... doing it again
One af the advantages of doing things twice is that you get a chance to improve upon your earlier fuck-ups.

While the mold for the front fenders was setting the first thing I did on the Autoart body was to build up the edge of the
rear wheeelarch. Not so much to widen it , more to have material so I could get that straight edge.
Above step 1 building up material with some Milliputt. After this had hardened,
I cleaned up the edges checking that the thicknes of the build up was equal on both sides.

One of the problems I had on the Burago was that with each coat of primer
I lost some of the cleanness of the bodylines.
So on the Auto Art I used a different method.

Step 2: Before applying the Primer I masked off the rest of the body and only sprayed the panel I was working on.
The result is much better and its a lot easier to keep track of the symmetry as well.
I used several layers of Tamiya primer to blend the milliput into the original wheelarches, carefully sanding with
1000 grit wet&dry emmery paper between layers.

Immidiately the more correct shape of the AA body showed when I dropped the body over the chassis.
The Lambo has this distincitve way the rear wheel is halfway up in the wheelarch and the AA body does this a lot better than
the Burago....so I did the right thing afterall

To make room for the rear wheel quite a lot of material had to be milled away
from the inside, but as the AA body is some 2 mm thick and the laminated GFK will be much thinner this should not be a problem...I hope.

Anyhow I think it looks much better, the pain of loosing time on the Burago is but a distant memory.

So much for now...more later

Last edited by Tamar; 06-10-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
David Napier
AF Newbie

Please dont give up on this one Tamar, and if you could I'd love to see more of your Viper:
David Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Tamar
AF Newbie

Don't worry David...I'm not givin' up on this one....the car's due to race on July 26th so....I'm comitted

And yeah that Viper thread, kinda forgot about that one, gotta finish that one as well. Problem with that post was that when I build the Viper 2 1/2 years ago it was such a rush to finish her for the race that I didn't have time to make pictures of the laminating process...

But 2 months ago we did a laminating workshop and a friend of mine used the Viper mold as a tutorial...so I've got the missing pic's now...just lack the time to finish the post.

Anyhow you can see more pictures of the Viper on http://www.slotracinglemans.com/gall...04R5/index.htm

Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #14
Tamar
AF Newbie

R-GT 2007 Stage 5

Here's a pic of the resin copy I made of the Burago nose. I was a bit of a quick and dirty job.
Didn't want to spend a whole load of silicon by copying the whole body.
So I sort of only boxed in the nose and started pouring.

That was easy...but this meant that my mould would be "open" at the back after the master was removed.
So when I wanted to pour the resin this was a bit untidy as the stuff flowed
just as fast out the back of the mold as i could pour it in the front.

Luckily I used the really fast curing stuff (cures in 5min) and I managed to
get it out in..at least 2 pieces. But then came the difficult part...
As the cast was a solid piece it required a lot of milling to make it as thin
as....well lets say a 1/24 front fender

Using a dremel and a parabolic mill bit some hours were spend milling
away to a thickness of less than 0.5mm at some places.

And all the time I was holding my breath (not at least because this produced a lot of dust) thinking..its going to break....
but in the end it didn't

So now I had my own home grown "transkit". The first test fitting looked promising,
overall shape seemed to fit, at some places the fender was still a bit thick
so I carefully milled way some more to get a better "flush" fit

But before I could continue I had to enlarge the original wheelarches so I could
drop the body to the desired "ride height".
This was the stage were I had to pay extar attention of not loosing the proper reference.
Maintaining simmitry is one of the most diffucult things if you start to modify a body.

So to make sure I enlarged both wheelarches equally and keeping a check
on the proper wheelbase, I engraved them with a calliper and milled away
until I had removed everything below the engraved line.

Here's a pic of the second test fit. As I had seen at first glance when I compared the Burago and AA bodies,
there were some serious differences between their nose sections (with the AA being the most correct).
The AA windscreen is a bit narrower at the bottom and runs much deeper in to the hood.
On both kits the wheelarches are positioned at the same distance from the doors, but as I had lost a bit of reference on the Burago (filling in the huge gaps created by the opening doors) I now saw that the left and right fender where not exactly "mirror images" of each other.

Hmmmm how to decide what is the correct position...........have to think a bit on that one

Last edited by Tamar; 06-11-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #15
babas
AF Newbie

very very very nice job i just bought an auto art 1/12 murcielaguo on e bay in bad condition let me ask you what stuf did you use for this project

thx a lot
babas is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Slot Car Modeling