Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
dylanborns
AF Regular

Re: Oil pressure light was blinking at idle; now constant

No, thats what I thought you were talking about, and I was trying to picture the dash in my mind. For some reason I was thinking there was another "OIL" light on there, but I googled "ford escape dash lights" and found a pic of it. It only has the picture of the oil can; no other warning lights.
And my oil shows full on the stick.
dylanborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #32
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Here is a informational link about oil pressure:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm

Hooking a mechanical oil pressure gauge at the oil filter would help determining if the loss of pressure is from the oil pump, A gauge at the sending unit location would tell if you are loosing pressure thru the main, rod, or cam bearings.

I am thinking since this all started when you did the oil and filter change you have a oil fliter giving you problems, hopefully a new filter will cure the problem.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
dylanborns
AF Regular

Thanks for that link, it had some interesting info.

I changed the filter today but only drove it about 10 miles total. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see what happens.
Have you run into issues with the filter in the past that made you suggest it?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #34
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanborns View Post
Thanks for that link, it had some interesting info.

I changed the filter today but only drove it about 10 miles total. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see what happens.
Have you run into issues with the filter in the past that made you suggest it?

No I have not expierenced any filter problems. This problem starting after a oil change just makes me think it could have something to do with the filter as it is the only thing not changed.

What was the reason for the intake manifold gaskets changed, was just the plenium gasket changed or were the lower intake gaskets also changed???
Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
dylanborns
AF Regular

I was thinking the same thing after your last post. The filter is the only thing I didn't change since this came up.

Quote:
What was the reason for the intake manifold gaskets changed, was just the plenium gasket changed or were the lower intake gaskets also changed???
Then only reason I changed the intake gaskets is because I changed the spark plugs and all coils because I was overdue on the 100K maintenance. I didn't change out the lower gaskets at that time. Its been a couple months ago that I did that, and the oil light showed up quite awhile after that.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #36
dylanborns
AF Regular

Any ideas on the question I had in post #27 on the way it gets to op temp so quickly? Am I way off on this?
I'm going to be driving quite a bit for the next few days so we'll see if changing the filter helped.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #37
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

The engine will warm up considerably faster at highway speeds because of the load of the engine versus idling, I do not believe it is oil pressure related. The higher rpm's will cause more friction from the rotating parts and rings to heat the block faster.

Hopefully the filter change helped or you will need to add a mechanical gauge to monitor the oil pressure.

Last edited by tempfixit; 01-01-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: wording
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #38
Grabber5.0
AF Regular

The one thing I keep thinking about reading this thread is worn bearings. My old Maverick (the classic kind, not the Escape variant) had very little oil pressure at idle when it was at operating temp, but it was fine cold. I confirmed what the oil pressure light was saying by installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge (which to be honest I hate, but they are much more affordable than electric ones). It was just a worn out motor in spite of the fact that it ran great. I hope this isn't the case for you, but it seems like a possibility.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
dylanborns
AF Regular

That definitely could be the case, and I hope not.... The only thing I don't understand is why its intermittent? It does only happen when the motors been running at operating temp for an extended amount of time, but not everytime I drive it. When I had it running in the garage for half an hour with a tester on it, it never came on and the lowest the pressure got was 18psi. I drove it about 12 miles this morning to work and had no issues.
I just need to add a mechanical gauge to it and see what I get. If I get the warning light and have the 18psi on the gauge, I'll know its a wiring or computer issue.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #40
dylanborns
AF Regular

I drove it home today and the light just flickered once at a stoplight but didn't come on constant. I picked up a mechanical gauge, but ran into another problem. The brass connection that came with it is to small for the adapter I have for the block. I tried to explain what I needed to the counter guy, but he didn't understand or they don't have what I need. I'm not even certain of what I need, so maybe I can get some help here.
The adapter I have has a 3/8" female connection. The adapter with the gauge has smaller threads, but I'm not sure exactly what the size of the threads are. The bigger nut on it takes a 9/16" wrench. The smaller one takes a 7/16" wrench.

I'd rather use the smaller adapter, (7/16"), because I'm starting to get so many adapters on this thing that I'm afraid I'm going to start having leaks. I know if I go online and order an adapter that is a 7/16" female to 3/8" male, it'll be the wrong size. The 3/8" male would be correct, but would the 7/16" female be the wrong size?
I've confused myself....
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #41
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

GO to a hardware store, home depot, menards, ace hardware, etc.

I believe you made need a 3/8 male thread with a 1/4 inch female thread,

Take the mechanical gauge line along to get exactly what you need.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #42
dylanborns
AF Regular

Yeah I didn't have the "T" with me when I bought the oil gauge today, but from what I looked through at Oreilly, they didn't have the correct sizes. I'll try Ace again and see if I can come up with something since they have a ton of connectors. The only problem I ran into with the items they had were the threads weren't right for that "T".
If I can't find a match, I can actually use the oil pressure tester I used, but it just won't be ideal. I was thinking I could hook it all back up like I had it and run the tester up to the top of the motor. The rubber line on it is about 2' long and would get the actual gauge up on top and I could wire tie the line to the dipstick tube to keep it away from moving parts.
I would then have to stop the car when the light came on, open the hood, and read the dial. Sounds dumb, but that might be what I have to do.
I'm going to work on this friday, and I'll post the results.

I sure appreciate the help.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
Grabber5.0
AF Regular

The problem is the oil pressure is going to come up the second you put it in park and the RPM increases. Without a gauge you can read from inside the car, you are chasing your tail.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #44
dylanborns
AF Regular

Yeah, anytime I take it out of park, the light does go out. I've got both adapters with me and will be stopping by ace in the morning.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #45
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanborns View Post
Yeah, anytime I take it out of park, the light does go out. I've got both adapters with me and will be stopping by ace in the morning.

You are saying that when you take it out of Park the light goes out, are you putting it in reverse from park or to neutral???????

Does the light stay on if you go to neutral right away??

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid