Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
kool_zero
AF Newbie

02 escape odd noise

I have an 02 escape that just recently started making what sounds like an r/c car noise when driving. I just had the power steering pump replaced as I was told by 3 different people that was the issue. When start it, you kind of hear the noise, and when you give it gas, you can really hear it. Any ideas?
kool_zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 02 escape odd noise

Pull the belt and start it gun it then shut down if it goes away spin the idler pulleys. Normally you can feel a bad bearing. Try the alternator bearing next.
I've changed a power steering pump recently on my car it blew oil so bad I needed another pump.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

On mine it was the bearing in the alternator. When it made the noise, I took a length of hose putting one end to my ear and the close to the powersteering, idler pulley then alternator to be sure which one was causing the squeal. Just putting my head in close wasn't enough to distinguish for sure what was bad. They have stethescopes for mechanics at most parts stores, but the hose has worked pretty good for me.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
kool_zero
AF Newbie

was it expensive to replace? i will give this a shot tomorrow. thanks for the input so far!
kool_zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

If you can do it yourself get the bearing number and check. Some ebay stores sell alternator bearings.
Otherwise go to an alternator shop and they will install a new bearing for you and check out alternator. Otherwise your looking at a rebuilt at a parts store.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid