Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to doberman_52
A few 240 questions

Well, I am finally getting my 89 240SX tomorrow night, It has the KA24DE already put in.

1) If the timing chain tensioner is loose, or guides are bad, does that make a loud rattling noise? It has a loud rattling noise from the engine. If thats what it is, would it be ok to drive for a little while longer without problems?

2) What would possibly cause an antifreeze leak from behind the timing cover? He thinks it may be from the water pump but isnt sure.

3) Anyone have a problem with a low idle causing it to die out if you dont give it enough gas? I would assume maybe a vacume leak, but am not sure.

4) Are the wire harnesses and computers between the KA24E and the KA24DE motors and transmissions compatible with each other?

Other than these few problems, the car is in decent shape with the normal wear and tear. It will need some body work and eventually a new paint job. The motor is a rebuild with bout 300 miles on it, but I don't think it was all done properly.

Cory

Last edited by doberman_52; 03-06-2008 at 01:38 AM.
doberman_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777
Re: A few 240 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberman_52
Well, I am finally getting my 89 240SX tomorrow night, It has the KA24DE already put in.

1) If the timing chain tensioner is loose, or guides are bad, does that make a loud rattling noise? It has a loud rattling noise from the engine. If thats what it is, would it be ok to drive for a little while longer without problems?

2) What would possibly cause an antifreeze leak from behind the timing cover? He thinks it may be from the water pump but isnt sure.

3) Anyone have a problem with a low idle causing it to die out if you dont give it enough gas? I would assume maybe a vacume leak, but am not sure.

4) Are the wire harnesses and computers between the KA24E and the KA24DE motors and transmissions compatible with each other?

Other than these few problems, the car is in decent shape with the normal wear and tear. It will need some body work and eventually a new paint job. The motor is a rebuild with bout 300 miles on it, but I don't think it was all done properly.
#1...dont be stupid, just replace it, and yes that makes a rattling noise.

#2...yup sounds like the water pump...take it off and reseal it with some good silicone.

#3...could be a few things, vaccume leak, clogged fuel filter, really dirty air filter, or the timing is wrong.

#4...no
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

your on the right track with the rattling. but i wouldnt drive it unless you absolutely have to.

sounds just like a vacuum leak to me.

no no no yes. to clarify, the DOHC motor will only work with the DOHC harness and computer, but the transmissions are identical. if you need a DOHC computer and harness let me know i have them for sale.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Well, I went and picked it up today, and had some bad luck. Motor went as I pulled into my parents town, bout 20 miles from my house. 45 mile drive from pickup to destination. Something shot through the bottom of the motor, not sure what, but will find out in a few days when I get a chance to tow it to a friends farm. It tries to start and will fire up for bout an eighth a second then dies while hearing a bunch of metal on metal clunking and smacking. Similar to what it sounds like when you put a rod through the block, but more and louder. Was gonna take it to a shop in the morning but now thats gonna wait. I dont think it was rebuilt right since it blew with bout 350 miles since the rebuild. I am going to see if the motor was done at a shop for some type of warrenty, but I kinda doubt it. I think I am now going to be saving up for a blacktop to drop in and go from there. It is supposedly a KA24DE/Harness?computer from a 96 240SX, but the tranny was the original. Thank you for your help though.

Cory
Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

wow 300 miles until the rod went thru the oil pan. quality stuff.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, found out this morning that it was rebuilt at a high school... So my guess is mybe the rod wasnt tightend if thats what went through the pan. But this was a big dissapointment. but ill have 2 motors for scrap, and two automatic transmissions for sale, so i can make a little money off that. But I am gonna ask him to come down on the price later tonight, and I know he will help me install my new one which will be a blacktop, but he isnt touching anything else... Should be able to get out there this weekend and take a look at the damage and go from there.

Cory
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

I am now a bit confused, and the dark is deceiving. Block is still intact, but there is a fair amount of oil in the engine bay, and something definitly fell off. Looked at it wrong in the dark yesterday. The engine turns over, tries to fire, but doesnt fully start, and it makes a clunking noise. I would like to pull the pan off and see if the bottom end is intact but it looks like ill need to pull the motor for that, and i dont have access to a cherry picker right at the moment. I need someone who knows what everything looks like to tell me what may have possibly fell off, i havent seen these to much so i am not sure, and i never found it on the road. Any ideas as to where i should start at for a diagnosis?

I had also misunderstood him when he said the milage, but he said around 1k on the block since the rebuild instead of 300, but this still shouldnt hav happened though. He had also told me hiis teacher had put the bottom end together instead of him.

Cory
Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

maybe the oil filter popped off because of ridiculously tight clearances? or a bearing spun? theres so many things that can go wrong.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Oil filter is still on, I actually did look for that for some reason, not sure why either. Once I get it to my friends farm, I am gonna get it on a lift and get a better look to see if I can find where all the oil came from. If not I think I am gonna pull the motor and take off the pan and make sure the bottom end is still good, then start with the timing chain and upper end after that. Just need to get a manual for the specs first. I am also not sure exactly how I am gonna find what fell off. If all else fails i will take it to redline and have them fix it, or just do a swap.

Cory
Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
stang805
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stang805

with the noises you're describing, where the oil is coming from is probably irrelevant, i would say the best you can hope for is just needing a rebuild
stang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang805
i would say the best you can hope for is just needing a rebuild
Well, Its definitly more then a rebuild, finally got a day look, and it was hard to see still, but the rod was sitting right next to the control arm, So, I have 2 motors to scrap out, and 2 trannys for sale, any takers??

Cory
Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

where you at?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Sioux Falls South Dakota, the old motor and new tranny are still in brokings, should be getting them down here saturday. One motor from the 89(KA24E) I was told has a blown head gasket. The second one is from a 96 (KA24DE) threw a rod, have the ECU and wire harness. Trannies are from both motors, both are automatic. The tranny from the 89 has a problem with shifting into O/D, and once it starts shifting into O/D is flies past third. We think it may be due to low fluid though. As far as I know, the one from the 96 has no problems. I was going to put that in once it was running right, but not anymore. I am gonna do a S14 blacktop and 5 speed swap, and replace some other things while the motor is out.

Cory

Last edited by doberman_52; 03-20-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

holy shit doberman, i didnt realize you were so close to me, im in rapid...

btw. you can tell you live in B.F.E., when you consider 400 miles close...lol
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
doberman_52
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking777
holy shit doberman, i didnt realize you were so close to me, im in rapid...

btw. you can tell you live in B.F.E., when you consider 400 miles close...lol
Nice. BFE? I heard there was a 2JZ 240 round here, but havent seen it, not sure if its true or not. How much left on yours? I havent been to Rapid in quite some time, let ya know if I ever go out there for a trip or something.

Cory

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX