Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
perrenial151
AF Regular

Are these $200+ headgaskets worth it?

s13 redtop sr20det. Greddy, Tomei, Nismo etc. What makes them so special? They advertise as being metal and you can select your thickness. But are they really stronger than the oem headgasket $80. My stock head gasket is fine, Im just upgrading my turbo, will be pushing around 18psi. Just wondering if they are nessesary for that much boost. Or what's the maximum boost/hp for an oem hg?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: Are these $200+ headgaskets worth it?

its pretty important to have a strong head gasket but not 100% necessary to spend all that money. call up cometic, tell them what you have. i bought a multi layer steel HG with full custom specs and it cost me like 90 bucks. they should be able to make whatever. they might even have a stock SR part number.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

basically the aftermarket HG kits (which i recommend cosmetic for around $120) you get the reliability above 400whp. where most sr headgaskets tend to fail around...so unless your going over 400whp i wouldnt worry about going aftermarket hg
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
perrenial151
AF Regular

okay thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Miles Prower
AF Newbie

The Apex-i / Power Enterprises gaskets are the best.

Greddy/Cosworth/Tomei/ect in the second teir.

Cometic is so garbage I'd never pay for one and don't buy it if you didn't resurface your block or head.

I'll be running an unopened motor up around the 400 mark. but I'll be doing it on MS109 so its not exactly unproven territory.-
Old 03-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

how is cometic garbage? it uses OEM style multilayer steel construction. ive seen their HG hold 30 psi peak boost. and also, if your running a MLS headgasket, why wouldnt you resurface your block and head? it just seems like a logical step that if you skipped it your cutting way too big of a corner.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
stang805
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stang805

well, as we all know more boost is more pressure trying to pop the HG, so if nothing else, better safe than sorry, and most of the MLS gaskets are about the same, depending on what mill you have you can find them from around $90 and on up to well over the $200 mark, just do a little research on it and find one that is spec'd to handle what you want to do.
stang805 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX