Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
Fach
AF Newbie

SR20DET reliability

I have decided that I'm going to go for the SR20DET swap into my 240sx. If I can find an engine with under 30k miles, what is the overall dependability of the engine if I keep it tuned properly and keeping it around stock boost levels? Any input would help.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
91HBSi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 91HBSi Send a message via AIM to 91HBSi Send a message via Yahoo to 91HBSi
Welcome to AF, I don't know the answer to your question... but hey

Former PureHonda.com member since Dec. 00

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Pilippians ONe21
Old 03-25-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Hell it's a good motor and can last you along time provided you treat it right and not boost the hell out of it w/o proper fuel managment. She's good til about 400 HP on stock internals so watch it...

But have fun w/it...most of them dont have more than 40K miles anyways...

Old 03-25-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
JonGTIR_UK
AF Newbie

Hi NissanSPDR,
Could you give me the rundown on roughly what is required for 400hp from the stock internal on a sr20
Cheers

JOn
Old 03-25-2002, 05:06 PM   #5
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Well...

Upgrade fuel pump (300ZX)
Better injectors anything above 370cc which come stock in the SR
Intake
Downpipe
Exhaust
Boost controller
Turbo timer (not essential but recommended)
Bigger turbo...not sure which size...T28 or bigger...maybe a 60-1 or a T04 or TD04...

Hope that helps...

Old 03-25-2002, 05:29 PM   #6
rockerdude
AF Enthusiast

how much would all that mod cost? so you guys are saying the sr20 can handle 400hp using stock pistons and rods without it breaking? is 400whp?
Old 03-25-2002, 07:59 PM   #7
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
Quote:
Originally posted by rockerdude
how much would all that mod cost? so you guys are saying the sr20 can handle 400hp using stock pistons and rods without it breaking? is 400whp?
Hope this helps

"I want 300HP to the wheels, how much will I spend?"

"So many people have this magic number of 300HP, most of which have never even had a 240SX turbo. We'll describe it in 4 stages, and give rough estimates of what each stage will cost you, mind you these prices are for setups to be installed by unStable-Hybrids, and the examples given will be on the RED TOP SR20DET. Prices and such will vary based on the other SRs, but you can pretty much add the difference in cost of the motors (say VTC S14 . Red Top S-13 and add that to the below totals and get a good idea. Also the bolt-ons will vary the price& but this will give you a good idea of what your looking to spend to get to a certain level."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 1:

Output at this level: 205HP (flywheel)

Stock Setup with Front Mount (as list at www.unstable-hybrids.com/sr20detinstall.html )

This setup will be running stock boost with stock side mount mount IC& cost installed is $4080 for what you see listed on our site.

Cost: $4080 This is what we charge to have one leaving us at stock boost, more power means more money.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 2:

Maximum output: 225Hp to 250HP (depends on mods)

Boost controller, 3in exhaust, EGT, other goodies, 11.5psi on the stock turbo. Will give good power, however will sacrifice the turbo over time. Not ideal for reliability .

Cost: $5700 (estimated) (this is also for a complete setup& like listed on our site plus other goodies)

Stage 3:

Output at this level: 240HP (flywheel)

Maximum output : 240HP to 300+HP (depends on other mods)

Lots of people want that 300HP number, but the harsh reality at this level is this: engine management is needed to get there safely. By this we mean ECU, 550cc injectors and MAF. Multiple options: JWT sells a setup, it runs around $1500. Also TOMEI sells stuff in that price range. On top of that, some type of upgraded turbo would be needed. If you got T3/T4 you will need a manifold or buy something that bolts in place of the stock stuff (T28 off S-14 would do pretty good) however to break the 300HP level your going to have to go to a larger turbo and upgrade all of the other stuff to handle the power and not sacrifice the bottom end in the mean time..

Cost: $9000 (estimate) this will get you in the ball park of what you. re looking to spend to get to this point. Most people at this point will agree with the amount for the estimate. Keep in mind that the $9000 includes a full setup, motor and all the bolt-ons .

Stage 4:

Output 350HP and up

It is recommended at this level you have a high flow turbo, have the block re-sleeved and the bottom end and head worked

Cost: Serious inquires only
Old 03-27-2002, 08:25 PM   #8
dorifkin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dorifkin Send a message via Yahoo to dorifkin
Reliability

If you leave the sr20det stock then it should be as reliable as any other Nissan motor. But if you go and try to get '400'hp out of it then don't expect it to last too long. It probably will lose half of its life expectancy or even more (remember your doubling the output of the motor). The engine was designed to be bulletproof at 200hp and so you would be decreasing it's reliability as more power is put out. So be realistic with your decision. I hope that helped.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:36 AM   #9
rockerdude
AF Enthusiast

here's what you should do, make the 240sx your racer and then get another car for daily driving so then you won't wear the engine out fast.
like me, right now i have a 97 civic HB for driving, and when i get a 240sx, i'm going to make that my special car, it's going to be the one i invest the most money in as will be kept in good condition. i will use the HB for daily driving, and bring out the 240sx whenever i feel like racing.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:37 AM   #10
spnx
AF Regular

Swap out the main bearings before the engine swap and never let it run low on oil, and it will run indefinately.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
perrenial151
AF Regular

Re: SR20DET reliability

sleeving the block is a waste of money. only necessary for 600+hp on the sr

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX