Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
superfan84
AF Newbie

Newer Rabbits - Reliability?

I'm on the market for a new car, and the 2008 Rabbit has caught my eye. My only concern is reliability in the future - I've heard that VWs need a lot of maintenance, and I want to know how well the newer Rabbits hold up over time. I would appreciate any input; thank you.
superfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
LOL WTF?
AF Newbie

Re: Newer Rabbits - Reliability?

I have an '07 2.5 automatic tiptronic with 83,000 miles.
bought it new, and i really like it. thinking about trading it in for an '09
because the '10 ... doesn't really catch my eye as much as the '09

It has been very reliable. The only problem i've had with it in 2 1/2 years occured last week when i had to replace a headlamp bulb. cost me $24.

I have the dealer do my oil changes $54.00 w/ the 5th one free. Had a major tune-up at 45,000 miles. That cost $450. pollen filters every 30,000 miles cost $60. whatever.

The only thing i don't like about it is that it comes with conti-contact tires standard, and they do not hold the road if there is any moisture or rain. But they do give you a little extra mpg. The eagle gt's i put on there have been a lot better.

You can squeeze out 30mpg at 80mph, and almost 400 miles from a tank of gas. They took a lot of criticism for not having enough umph, but for my money the thing rockets. The newer ones got bumped up to 170 hp. In my opinion the 2.5 5 cylinder is overkill, and it should be a 2L that gets 35mpg. Especially since last year gas was running me $4.50 a gallon! But no way did I want the 1.8 turbo GTI.

So call this a ringing endorsement. eventhough this thread is 5 months old, and they're going back to the Golf nameplate. They might call it a rabbit, but the car is solid beef. And super safe with all the airbags and new technology.
LOL WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
rocco_crossing
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to rocco_crossing

Well, every single car you buy is going to need maintenance. Vw's just have that extra bit of personality that you need to give them some attention between the "regular" maintenance.

You may laugh at me for telling you to notice your car's personality, but after having 11 VW's and being very active in the VW community, I know them pretty well.
7+ yrs Vw's
10+ yrs domestic
rocco_crossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
LOL WTF?
AF Newbie

183,000 miles on my '07 and still going strong.
100,000 miles in 4 1/2 years going by my above post.
really good engine and tranny. i made a good choice.

base model, 2 door, tiptronic, sage.

i also got the thick rubber floormats. wore a hole through it with my heel at maybe 150K.
LOL WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Rabbit