Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
Which of these subs would you get?

Subwoofer Questions

Comparison of Some Audiobahn 12" Subwoofers
Is the AW1205Q better than the AW1206T? If it is, is the difference between the AW1205Q and the AW1208T marginal? What about the difference between the AW1206T and the AW1208T? Is the extra $150 for the AW1208T over the AW1206T really justified? Same question applies to the price difference between the AW1205Q and the AW1208T.

Amplifier Questions

Audiobahn A2200HCT
Will this amplifier be enough for two of any of the above listed subwoofers?

Will I need this if I go with this amplifier and two of the above listed subwoofers:
Audiobahn CTCAP1.0
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Which of these subs would you get?

I would rather get something that didn't suck

(sorry it had to be said )

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Instead of being a jerk, you could have suggested something different. Do you even have any experience with Audiobahn? I do, and they sound great.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-11-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

lol, sorry, you never said to suggest anything else, you just said to pick between those 2

if you want other recommendations we'll need some sort of budget to work with

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 11-11-2004, 11:34 PM   #5
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Sorry, I didn't mean to snap back. Just felt raped. I've been a novice audio enthusiast for about 5 years now, but I don't keep up with audio technology nor do I delve into the details of it. My 4 year old system was stolen today while I was in class at college (go figure, trying to get an education while some gimp from some government housing across the street steals my crap. I hope he O.D.'s on the cocaine he bought with the money he got from my system).

Here are the things I need
  • 2 12" Subwoofers
  • An amplifier that can push enough power to these
  • An Optima Yellowtop Battery
  • The enclosure costs will be seperated from the rest of the costs. I'm going to buy my own materials and look around at some designs and construct one myself. And believe me, I'm not going to half-ass it either. I just don't have the money to drop $400 on a custom molded box for my trunk like I want.

Budget
  • $1,500.00 - $2,000.00

If possible, could you fill me in on why Audiobahn isn't any good? I was always under the impression they were. I hear a lot of people put them down, but I honestly think they are a damned good company.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

it's no prob

I did come off kinda harsh, when you're on a forum for however many years and all the threads from new members are "I just got the fast and furious lightning audio package at best buy, am I cool now?", you tend to lose your tact. Either way, Audiobahn does have a reputation for being a high quality company, and honestly I don't know how. Maybe it's because of all the flash, or because they have some expensive products....honestly I have no idea. The subs can't hold their rated power (except for the Alum line, or so I've heard), they sound bad, but you can find the lower models for pretty cheap on ebay and they're decent if you just want to get loud and don't care how it sounds. The amps are better, but still better amps can be had for the cost. All in all they're middle-of-the-road at best when it comes to SPL, and as far as SQ goes they're very low on the scale.

$1500-$2000 into just the sub setup can get you very very far. Are you planning on getting a front stage to compliment the subs? What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of car will this be going into, or more specifically, how much space do you have to work with? Any objections to buying online?

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 11-12-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

I think most of the people here are going to suggest you go with 1 15" RE Audio XXX or Adire Brahma rather than two 12s, from past experience lol. I also was aiming to have a system with 2 12s but these guys suggested these 15s instead and their reasoning makes sense.. but all i was going to say is if youre definately wanting 2 12s for space/ show reasons, say so now so that 2 12s actually get suggested, rather than another suggestion which might be a little more sensible. Also, about the audiobahns, thats kinda the thing where everybody thinks theyre good until they actually know whats out there, then they could never go back because there are dozens of high quality subs which would blow audiobahns out of the water for just a little more money. Audiobahn is also looked down upon, in my opinion, because they are overrated.. liek i said.. people think theyre awesome until they realize the truth. Oh and try not to be too offended if the guys give you a hard time here.. they just hear the same questions over and over and get annoyed
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:09 AM   #8
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Which of these subs would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
it's no prob

I did come off kinda harsh, when you're on a forum for however many years and all the threads from new members are "I just got the fast and furious lightning audio package at best buy, am I cool now?", you tend to lose your tact. Either way, Audiobahn does have a reputation for being a high quality company, and honestly I don't know how. Maybe it's because of all the flash, or because they have some expensive products....honestly I have no idea. The subs can't hold their rated power (except for the Alum line, or so I've heard), they sound bad, but you can find the lower models for pretty cheap on ebay and they're decent if you just want to get loud and don't care how it sounds. The amps are better, but still better amps can be had for the cost. All in all they're middle-of-the-road at best when it comes to SPL, and as far as SQ goes they're very low on the scale.

$1500-$2000 into just the sub setup can get you very very far. Are you planning on getting a front stage to compliment the subs? What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of car will this be going into, or more specifically, how much space do you have to work with? Any objections to buying online?
We'll go with $2000. This will include the amplifier and the subwoofers. I would rather purchase online. The cost is less and the selection is larger. Front stage I assume you mean door speakers and tweaters up front. The car I drive is in my signature. Trunk space is huge. I have a stock 8 speaker setup that I will not be changing. I'm just looking to replace what was stolen (with something a hell of a lot better). I'm looking for subwoofers that will hit low and high bass extremely well. I want a clean sound as well, even if that means detracting from how low it will hit.

As far as 2 12"s in comparison to 1 15", is the sound difference really that large? Is it just a misconception that I have that two smaller speakers can produce more sound than one larger speaker? Will the 15" reach lower sounds than 2 12"s?

Music I listen to
Techno (drum & bass and jungle mostly)
Hip-Hop / Rap (just to utilize my investment to it's fullest)
Rock / Alternative
Blues (SRV, Kenny Wayne Sheppherd, Clapton, Alman Bros., etc.)
Country
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #9
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndonD454
They just hear the same questions over and over and get annoyed
Suggestion to the advanced audiophiles and veteran forum users:
Make a FAQ or list of products in accordance to budgets, trunk space and quality. Possibly piece them together into variations of setups in accordance to variable budgets. This would probably cut redundant questions down by 75%.

I asked this "redundant" question because it would take me an hour to search right down to a T what I wanted, if it's even out there. I'd rather come to these forums and ask my question outright for a specific answer. Isn't that one of the reasons why these forums are here? I always help on PC hardware forums, no matter how many times I've answered that exact question or a similar one. Just some etiquette tips.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-12-2004, 12:18 AM   #10
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28

[quote=AndonD454]I think most of the people here are going to suggest you go with 1 15" RE Audio XXX or Adire Brahma....

LMAO, that is exactly right, you won't get very far without hearing the names Resonant Engineering and/or Adire Audio. Not tryin to put you guys down at all, I just think it's hilarious that you guys always recommend those 2 brands as if you were reps for them, and now people are noticing. But yea, anyhow, they're good, get a 15" it'll sound tight.
Headunit: Alpine CDA-9831
Speakers: 5.25 Sony's and 6x9 Pioneer's(Both of which need to be replaced so give me some suggestions)
Optima Yellowtop battery
Lanzar 5 farad Optifree capacitor
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:26 AM   #11
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

well i knwo they already have a link to a site where all basic car audio stuff can be learned so they dont have to explain the stuff that most people ask about, such as ohms, channels, wattage, etc. but i think it would save them time to set up a list of suggestions for specific price ranges and cars, but i think the biggest problem is that it would take too long to set this up.. there are so many subwoofers and every person has different wants for sizes, power, spl vs. sq, brand preferance, the list could go on.. i think if it was simple it would have been done.. but yeah thats what forums are for is talkign about stuff and for new guys to learn it, these guys have answered a ton of my questions.. i was just suggesting not taking any comments to personally because the questions can stress em out.. no big deal though thats why they come.. to help people out... but back to the topic... sounds like youre gonna end up with an sq oriented sub.. im not big on suggestions cause i dotn knwo what im talking about .. but what do you guys suggest
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 AM   #12
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
well i knwo they already have a link to a site where all basic car audio stuff can be learned so they dont have to explain the stuff that most people ask about, such as ohms, channels, wattage, etc. but i think it would save them time to set up a list of suggestions for specific price ranges and cars, but i think the biggest problem is that it would take too long to set this up.. there are so many subwoofers and every person has different wants for sizes, power, spl vs. sq, brand preferance, the list could go on.. i think if it was simple it would have been done.. but yeah thats what forums are for is talkign about stuff and for new guys to learn it, these guys have answered a ton of my questions.. i was just suggesting not taking any comments to personally because the questions can stress em out.. no big deal though thats why they come.. to help people out... but back to the topic... sounds like youre gonna end up with an sq oriented sub.. im not big on suggestions cause i dotn knwo what im talking about .. but what do you guys suggest
Just gather like the top 10 most knowledgable members about car audio on these forums, have them discuss amongst eachother their opinion on top brands and models that not only range in low and high prices but in different areas of sound such as competition level, clean sound, average use (I don't know what the different fields of sound are (SPL?)) and throw them into a compiled list with prices and what cars they would fit and sound in the best, etc. Just because they don't list a brand that's all eye-candy that some 15 year old wants and doesn't care about the sound quality, doesn't mean the list won't work. Tough shit to the kid who wants to be recommend garbage.

This list should include amplifiers, enclosures, materials, types of enclosures in accordance to the type of subwoofer, its size and what type of vehicle it will be installed in. Also include subwoofers themselves of course, head units, and even batteries / capacitors for the enthusiast looking to generate more power than the local power plant.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-12-2004, 12:35 AM   #13
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, no hard feelings. I'm way over his first reply. I'm very thankful he's taking the time to help me out a little.

I got a kick out of your last statement. Honesty is the best policy. At least you won't be bullshitting me with some suggestion you have no clue about. Thanks for helping me out as well. As small as the advice may seem, all of it is accounted for.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-12-2004, 12:41 AM   #14
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

yeah you guys are right, I feel like a broken record a lot of the time....I just have yet to hear or hear of anything better (except for the w7, but that's in a price range all it's own), so until then.....

If I was a mod believe me I would make a sticky, it would be a good idea, but I don't really have the time to type up a huge FAQ just to have it fall back in the thread archive like all the others.

As for 2 12s vs 1 15, in general the 15 will be able to play lower due to a lower resonant frequency, but the pair of 12's 9 times out of 10 will out displace the 15, meaning they will have the ability to get slightly louder at full output. However, to reach full output, they'll need twice as much power and a larger box (if that's a concern, which it appears it's not). Of course your budget would allow for a pair of 15s if you so desired......and if you could fit a 6cf ported box in your trunk.

[warning, incoming broken record]
It seems like a pair of XXX 15's would work if you could fit them, if not then a single 15 or a pair of 12s. Based on your post I would port, and tune to around 30hz if not slightly lower, if you got the pair you would want somewhere around 2000rms. You have the budget to allow for a very nice amp, a US Amps USA-2000 seems to fit the bill perfectly, and that's an extremely high quality amp. If you went with a single 15 instead, somewhere around 1500rms at 1 or 4ohm would be best, there are quite a few choices from companies like US Amps, Cadence, or even DLS belive it or not.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 11-12-2004, 12:48 AM   #15
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the help. I'll shop around for these companies.

I went from 2 10" Orion Cobalts (pos) and a Kenwood 600W amp to nothing. If my budget allows, I'll go for the 2 15"s, but will just 1 15" and the 1500rms amp sound considerably cleaner and louder than my recently departed setup? I ask this just in case I can't afford 2 15"s and the larger amp.

Are there any online stores you recommend I check out? I've been to a couple of the more known (CarDomain and Crutchfield). But are there others that you find that are better?
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio