Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Iceyone
AF Newbie

Keyless entry reprogramming

I just discovered this board. I have a 2000 Grand Am which I bought used and received no remote controls for the doors, assuming that it didn't come with any when new. A couple of times in the past few months with nobody in the car and no key in the ignition the horn honked, lights flashed and doors locked all by themselves. I'm now thinking that the car actually does have the keyless entry feature and possibly a neighbors car has the code to activate my car. Anyway I purchased a remote control off of Ebay for the car and followed the directions for reprogramming, posted in this forum but it's not working. Is there something I missed? Step 5 of the instructions says " The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure". What "Lock" position? The choices on my 2000 Grand AM are "OFF", "ACC", "ON" and "START". Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
justin0717
AF Regular

Re: Keyless entry reprogramming

You shouldnt have gotten one off ebay. Because chances are its not gunna work. You need to go to a dealer and they will give you the right key fobs and will program them for you. If you dont have the right key fobs for that car then they wont work. also to see if your car has RKE (remote keyless entry) turn the ignition off. hold down the unlock button on the door, and turn the key on,off,on,off..if you have RKE then the doors will lock and unlock, after a max of like 10 seconds. Usually shorter though.

1999 GA SE 3.4L - newest
justin0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
jeffradick
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Keyless entry reprogramming

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin0717
You shouldnt have gotten one off ebay. Because chances are its not gunna work. You need to go to a dealer and they will give you the right key fobs and will program them for you. If you dont have the right key fobs for that car then they wont work. also to see if your car has RKE (remote keyless entry) turn the ignition off. hold down the unlock button on the door, and turn the key on,off,on,off..if you have RKE then the doors will lock and unlock, after a max of like 10 seconds. Usually shorter though.
That is funny. I sell over 1000 keyless remotes a month on ebay and they are all tested by the Kent Moore SPX keyless remote tester. Check out my feedback, lauralinsey. It doesn't get that way by selling non working remotes. 99.4 positive rating, chances are that if you buy one of my remotes it will most definately work, unfortunately you cant make everyone happy but all my remotes work. Sounds like you work at a dealership who rapes customers for profit. I sell my remotes at more than 50% off your prices and send customers here to get free programming instructions saving them more raping from the dealership for their hard earned money. I know, I worked at lots for a long time. Next time say something smarter, help people instead of stealing from them.
jeffradick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:44 PM   #4
justin0717
AF Regular

Ok yea..your a fucking idiot..if you do not have the right key fobs for that type of car they will not work...i have delt with maybe 5 cars in the last 2 days who tried to buy keyless entry fobs for their cars and they cannot be programed....and dont be bashing me because i work at a dealership...its not my fault that people are to stupid to realize that there are a lot of places cheaper than a dealership...so all in all fuck you

1999 GA SE 3.4L - newest
justin0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Iceyone
AF Newbie

My problem was NOT whether or not I have the right key fob. My problem is with the instructions posted on this thread for programming the remotes. Simply, they're not right for a 2000 Grand Am. Does anyone have the correct instructions?
Iceyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
big_lazo
AF Newbie

Hey would it be possible to get a copy of your instructions for programing your keyless entry remote. I also have a 2000 grand am, and I bought mine from ebay too, but I'm having trouble programing it. Do you know what the Mall PGM fuse is?
- Please let me know, Thanks
big_lazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
gravytrain
AF Newbie

Wow... well I too have a 00 Grand Am. I Also bought a remote on Ebay and was not able to program it!. I've been looking around on forums like this and seen where this year is the most difficult. That it possibly has two different remotes, or key fobs for it!. So does anyone know exactly what remote to use, or another working programming method ? I don't care if your from a dealership or not! I just want an answer! Thanks: )
gravytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Does your car even have the keyless entry option? You have to know the option code for keyless entry, and see if it is listed on the SPID label of your vehicle, usually located on the cover of your spare tire or the underside of your trunk lid........

First of all, only certain years/models can be programmed "manually".....the rest have to be programmed with a GM Tech II scan tool.....

Your first problem is, do you know if you have the correct key fob?

Go to a GM dealer parts department, and ask for the number of the fob for your vehicle, by giving them your VIN number......if that number matches the number on the back of your fob, you have the right one.....next, does it it work? The parts department has a tool previously mentioned, that can test your fob....

Let's say it works......good so far.....your car has the option for keyless entry, and you have a working fob for your car.....

Hers's the bad news.....you probably can't program it....only the Dealer can with it's scan tool.....I have run into some cases where, you can program up to 4 fobs for a car....during the lifetime of that car, those available spots can be all used up.....so with a scan tool, you have to wipe them out, and then program the new fob into the system......I may be wrong, but off the top of my head, you can't program a fob, manually, for a 2000 GA....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Ya grand ams 1999+ have to be programmed from the dealer or someone with the proper scan tool.

the RPO # is in the trunk on the spare tire lid, but good luck finding out which of them multiple codes are for the keyless entry. lol easier to call or visit a GM dealer and run the vin to check.
i guess you can also look in the underhood fuse boxes for the lock/unlock replays. if it doesnt have them then it prob dont have remote entry. but over 75% of GM cars come with the option tho might not come with the keyfob.

i liked the older models where you just used a jumper in the trunk to activate the programming features. guess thieves might have liked that too. lol

And welcome to AF gravytrain!

edit: here is a thread pertaining to GM keyfobs
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=173306

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM