Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Road & Track
View Poll Results: Which car would you buy?
Infiniti Q45 41 75.93%
Lexus LS430 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 11:06 AM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Infiniti Q45 vs. Lexus LS430

They compared these "Sensational sedans" in the July Issue.
The new Q45

Lexus LS430

Here are the factors they considered:

Performance, where the new Q got 6.5 second 0-60 time vs. LS430's 6.4. The Q45 is about 80 lb. lighter and has 340hp versus LS430's 290hp. They said it must be the gearing that made the Q slower. But they basically made a point that both of these cars are the cream of the crop and 1/10 of a second really doesnt make any difference.

Comfort, both of these cars are again, cream of the crop in this category, the engine sound of either car can not be heard at a dead stop or slow speeds. Amazingly, at speeds in excess of 75mph, the Q isolated wind noise better than the LS [they think because of the swoopier profile] but the Lexus controlled road noise better [I am guessing because of the difference in tires-
Q45: P245/45R-18
LS430: 225/55R-17]

Styling, the LS430 is defined by the classic lines of a European "saloon," a three-box theme that's elegant and unassumaning. Whereas, the new Q shouts "Look at me!" They noted that every design aspect of the new Q looks fresh and original except that the rounded taillights remind them of the Audi A6's. The editors seemed to like the Q's styling, but they said only time will tell if it's a winner.

Value, there was no contest at all here: Q45 beats the LS by a big margin : Over $5,000

Conclusion, what? Already?
To summarize their Results table, Lexus beat the Infiniti by 7 points in Performance in these categories: Skidpad, Braking, and Fuel economy. The Q beat the LS by 7 points in "Subjective Ratings" as they call it, Driving excitement, Engine, Handling, Exterior styling, Luggage space, etc.

So at this point the score is 362 vs. 362
And so the real winner was decided by the Price, $56,507 vs. $62,098. This gave the Q a 7-point edge over the LS430.

And thus, the final score was 562 vs. 555.

Infiniti wins.

So, is this the Infiniti era now? What do you think?
I am really worried about the 5.9 second 0-60 Infiniti advertised, and now R/T was able to squeze out 6.5. I hope its gear ratios, but who knows

Sound your opinion! Comon!

Last edited by igor@af; 06-03-2001 at 02:14 PM.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 12:45 AM   #2
R35
AF Enthusiast

Niether one is a Skyline GT-R so I'm not all too worried about performance on either vehicle, but you did bring up a good point.

Nissan/Inifiti does claim 0-60 in 5.9 and with a 340hp engine you would think "why not"?

When both cars first came out over a decade ago I thought the Infiniti line were butt ugly compared to the Lexus line, but it looks like either Infiniti finally got it, Lexus is starting to beat their cars with an ugly wrench or I'm getting old and less bitchy about looks. Nah!:finger:

Don't think anyone would be unhappy with either car, but if you want to twist my arm and force me to choose...............

OK I go with the Q45.

My reason's: Nissan is making a big turn around and my guess is with better tires and and a little adjustment with the gears it will be able to overcome it's few mis-leadings. Also again when these cars first came over from Japan, they were supposed to be a great alternative to the high end Europian cars at a great VALUE.

Lexus is started to join the price of the cars is was meant to replace. Still a great value true, but if you were going to spend $60K you have quite a few other cars to look at. For a starting price still at $50K the Q45 is a much better car.

My .02 cents
Old 06-06-2001, 09:55 PM   #3
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
I like the Infiniti. Looks good! I'd like to see some pics of it's interior.
Old 06-06-2001, 10:00 PM   #4
R35
AF Enthusiast

Try checking out http://www.infiniti.com/docs/fr_q452001.html there's a virtual tour of the inside. Very nice
Old 06-06-2001, 10:02 PM   #5
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

This is kinda tough because the Lexus has soooooo much more prestige than the infiniti

but after seeing the new commercials for the Q45, that is my choice, and it looks soooo sweet now
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 08:12 AM   #6
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
R&T probably didn't launch it very agressively. Its final drive is 1 thingie taller than the Lexus, so its quieter at cruising speed and goes WAY faster (150+ vs. 127)
I would take the Q any day, in my mind its far superior.

And when you say .02 cents, you would need 50 of those to get one cent. Just say my 2 cents, or 0.02 dollars. Nitpicking, I know.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:15 PM   #7
Piston1047
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Piston1047
the Q45 is a great looking car it looks twice as good in person, nice wheels , interior and performance. Now the lexus is looking rather small and ugly, it still is good for comfort but in trrms of styling can we say avalon and hubcap look alike rims. I swear when i first saw the car i thought it had hubcaps
Piston1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 01:54 AM   #8
Stellar
AF Newbie

Post Lexus

I am currently test driving a Lexus LS430 for a few days, and it is without a doubt the most luxerious car i have ever been, including MB S-Class, Jag XJ8, and the BMW 750il. It has so many luxery features. The damn car even finds me resturants and gas stations.
It is also so much fun to drive. My car has ever option, so i have the ability to change between 2 different suspensions, Sport and Normal. The sport allows it to drive more like a European car, which i dont like (i have a mercedes E320 and i hate how it drives). I have yet to drive the new Q but from what i have read, it can't compare to the LS430.
Stellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 02:05 AM   #9
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I like the Q45, and I hope it's indicative of the direction that Infiniti plans on taking its whole line. I really like all the voice command equipment. AutoWeek said it could recognize a real southern accent, but it couldn't understand a faked one. LOL:silly2:

They stole my idea, though. Sort of. They have built-in microphones that detect ambient noise in the cabin and adjust the stereo to be quieter it you're talking. Sweet! I won't post my idea. I still need it to get rich.

You can ask me about my urinal idea, though. If you're brave. I think that will be a differnt thread.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 04:59 AM   #10
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Also again when these cars first came over from Japan, they were supposed to be a great alternative to the high end Europian cars at a great VALUE.
--R35

Absolutely true. I suppose Lexus feels they can jack up their prices as much as they want, now that they have the customer loyalty and well known name. People who buy luxury cars tend to enjoy being pampered. Lexus owns the customer satisfaction aspect. Remember when their dealerships were voted #1 in the nation?

Also, people seem to enjoy seeing others of their kind on the road. I am repulsed by the fact that there are so many haughty LSs roaming around. I would much much rather own a Q--any model year. They have always been these different, comfy-yet-firm sleepers, and now they seem to be breaking out of their shells. I don't really mind if the Q45 remains in the shadow of the LS430 in the States. If I ever purchase one, I will be more than satisfied knowing that I have a very capable, UNIQUE performance-luxury car (I chose not to say 'luxury-performance', since the Q has always led class by power).
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 05:45 AM   #11
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Exclamation

Quote:
I am currently test driving a Lexus LS430 for a few days, and it is without a doubt the most luxerious car i have ever been, including MB S-Class, Jag XJ8, and the BMW 750il. It has so many luxery features. The damn car even finds me resturants and gas stations.
--Stellar

I quote you because I am utterly dumbfounded by the fact that you would select the LS430 over any of the other cars you mentioned, particularily the S-Class. Some of these euros can nearly double the sticker price of the Lexus, not to mention that they aren't in the same class. Who really believes that the flagship BMW V12-powered 2 ton+ aircraft carrier-like behemoth should be rated less than a japanese car built for alternative "affordable luxury"? Perhaps you are disillusioned by the LS430's interesting-yet-excessive gimmicks slewn throughout the cabin. Do oscillating vents really belong in a luxury ensemble, or are they just there to make people emit their 'oohs and aahs'? As for the advanced nav system, all japanese cars have the edge, due to their high popularity and hence, much more intense R&D in their homeland.

The europeans have already mastered the art of blending luxury with performance. Their creatures always raise the bar by spawning standard setting ideas and inventions, while keeping in mind that there IS a natural balance, even in a luxury car. Don't get me wrong, the LS430 is still an excellent car. I've even had the opportunity to sleep in a buddy's LS on a road trip, and I must admit it is much more comfortable than my own bed.

But it's nowhere as elite as the S-class and company.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:16 AM   #12
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by morpheusxiii
As for the advanced nav system, all japanese cars have the edge, due to their high popularity and hence, much more intense R&D in their homeland.
Almost all JDM cars have awesome nav systems built-in. Even the cheapo models. The top-of-the-line ones are incredible. Stuff like real-time 3D mapping from your car's point of view. Wow.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 12:47 AM   #13
Adam
AF Enthusiast

I'd take the Q45 just for those headlights
Old 07-12-2001, 04:23 AM   #14
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I still think that the Q's mutli-lens headlights would make a great spot to install a pair of vulcan rotary gatling guns.

Slower traffic BEWARE!!

Below is a shot of my evil uncle thefting an M61A1 cannon for use on my next Q45! Just messing around, of course.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:11 PM   #15
Adam
AF Enthusiast

ah, morpheusxiii, which gives me an idea.

How about the Q45 for the next Bond car?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Road & Track