Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
umfindi
AF Newbie

Headlamps / DRL flickering

I have a 2005 Malibu, bought 5 months ago as a certified used car (1-year warranty).

It has this problem that the headlamps "flicker". They do NOT go on / off or bright / dim. It is more like the filament or bulb is loose, so when you hit a small bump, the beam direction vibrates. It's like you are pointing a flashlight and moving it slightly. It sure seems like an effect you would get if the light source (filament) is moving relative to the reflector. Or, if the whole headlamp is loose.

I have noticed this problem quite often with other cars on the highway. Yesterday I was driving and noticing my headlamps flickering (quite obvious with reflections from roadsigns) when another Malibu with the same issue came up behind me. I find the flickering from other cars quite irritating. I would like to get my own car fixed.

What do I do? Replace the lamps? Complain to the dealer?

Before I go to the dealer, I'd really like to have more knowledge.

Thanks,

Keith
umfindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Jetex
AF Newbie

Re: Headlamps / DRL flickering

I had the same problem with my 2004 Malibu. It's a common complaint. Go to your local hardware store and get some rubber grommets. If I can recall correctly, I found that a diameter of approx. 3/4 inch did the trick. Fit a grommet into the hole where the protrusion at the bottom of the headlight assembly fits into. That stops the headlights from wobbling.

Last edited by Jetex; 03-29-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Jetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
umfindi
AF Newbie

Re: Headlamps / DRL flickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetex View Post
I had the same problem with my 2004 Malibu. It's a common complaint. Go to your local hardware store and get some rubber grommets. If I can recall correctly, I found that a diameter of approx. 3/4 inch did the trick. Fit a grommet into the hole where the protrusion at the bottom of the headlight assembly fits into. That stops the headlights from wobbling.
Thank you! The left headlamp is noticeably loose. The right one also moves under pressure.

I'll get a friend at GM to check the service bulletins. Also, I am going to complain to the dealer (it's under warranty). My point would be to get a headlight alignment along with the repair.

I'll let you know what happens.

Keith
umfindi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2005 malibu , headlamp flickering , headlight flickering
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu