Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
CatalystOne
AF Newbie

Will 2003 Caravan Blower Motor replacement require removing dash?

I think I have a blower motor issue as it works sometimes and sometimes not. The 40A fuse and relay have been swapped with no difference. When blower works, it can run at all speeds (so it is not the resistor). Once when not working I gently kicked the HVAC housing and the blower started right up with all speeds working.

Two dealers quoted me a blower-motor replacement will require draining the coolant, removing hoses and the dash taking 6-7 hours labor. The 2003 factory service manual also mentions the above. Yet none of the posts I've read or videos I've seen mention any of this. - so what's the deal - can the motor be replaced without removing the coolant, hoses, and dash?

I'm confused.

Thanks in advance.
2003 Caravan Sport
Manual temperature control
Old 09-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Will 2003 Caravan Blower Motor replacement require removing dash?

Just as you, everything I've read over many years of cruising forums says your local dealerships are full of it not to mention they're robotic imbeciles if they actually do remove the dash. I'd be willing to bet they would charge you for a dash removal then not remove anything but the glove compartment only because they have the book to back them up.

The toughest part as stated elsewhere is removing that rear bolt up against the firewall. Some are able to remove it with little difficulty. Others say to remove the carpet and padding. Others say to pull the carpet back and cut a hole in the padding and remove. Others say to go into the engine compartment and loosen the HVAC unit bolts enough to pull the HVAC unit back and gain access to the bolt. Still others have said they removed the accessible blower motor bolts then just bent and broke off the flange the offending bolt is attached to. There are many options....well short of removing the dash.

I'm curious. If you talk to them again ask them the details of exactly why they have to remove the dash. Don't accept, "because the book says to", as an answer.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:
CatalystOne (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
CatalystOne
AF Newbie

I like your answer and thank you!

Of three Chrysler dealers I called, one quoted me about 1.25 hours, saying its just an electrical part so no coolant/HVAC/Dash removal. Other dealer$ were quoting something from the Mitchell manual. As I recall, people have had success accessing the difficult bolt with a flexible extender.

I've just injured my lower back and can't even get down there to have a peek. For the moment, the blower motor is working. Thanks again RIP!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
JhanJo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP View Post
Just as you, everything I've read over many years of cruising forums says your local dealerships are full of it not to mention they're robotic imbeciles if they actually do remove the dash. I'd be willing to bet they would charge you for a dash removal then not remove anything but the glove compartment only because they have the book to back them up.

The toughest part as stated elsewhere is removing that rear bolt up against the firewall. Some are able to remove it with little difficulty. Others say to remove the carpet and padding. Others say to pull the carpet back and cut a hole in the padding and remove. Others say to go into the engine compartment and loosen the HVAC unit bolts enough to pull the HVAC unit back and gain access to the bolt. Still others have said they removed the accessible blower motor bolts then just bent and broke off the flange the offending bolt is attached to. There are many options....well short of removing the dash.

I'm curious. If you talk to them again ask them the details of exactly why they have to remove the dash. Don't accept, "because the book says to", as an answer.
I am trying this repair on a 2005 T&C and you are right, the bolt in the rear is a pain in the ... I haven't decided yet which method to use.
JhanJo is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager