Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
konacoffee
AF Newbie

95 Pathfinder -WONT START - AUTO TRANS

Hello,
I've been stumped on this pathfinder for almost a week now. It wouldn't start one morning so I took the battery in to checker to have it checked. They read it as a bad battery and sold me a new one. That didn't work. So, I had my girlfriend start it up while I banged on the starter and that worked right away. Was able to start it one more time that way and was totally dead after that. When you turn the key it makes 1 click noise. Went and bought a new starter from G and S auto parts for $160.00. Take the old starter out and put the new one in and I notice the slip of paper that came in the box that says I must replace the starter relay and the inhibitor relay at the same time I do the starter. So I cruise over to my local nissan dealer and they sell me a starter relay for a standard. They assure me it's for both a manual and automatic. It's a huge blue relay that doesn't fit anywhere on the Auto. (mines an AUTOMATIC) and I can't find anyone who can tell me where the starter relay is on the auto. So I keep everything the same and decide to bang on the NEW starter to see if that works. It starts to crank and then the starter keeps going even after I take they key out. Had to disconnect the positive cable to stop it. I tap on the starter a couple more times with the battery disconnected and when I re-connected the starter was silent. So I crank the key again to see what happens and it starts right away but with an awful grind sound from the starter. (OUCH) At this point I'm freaking out and realize it probably is a relay??????? I do figure out where the inhibitor relay is located I think. On the front passenger side next to the washer reservoir. I replaced the inhibitor relay for $20.00 from Napa and it still does the same thing. Does anyone have any advice for this. Is there actually a STARTER RELAY for an AUTOMATIC or do I possibly have a bad starter right out of the box. PLEASE HELP. Thanks Oh yeah, I checked the alternator while it was running and it came back good.
konacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
konacoffee
AF Newbie

Re: 95 Pathfinder -WONT START - AUTO TRANS

Well I ended up replacing the positve and negative battery cables because both were some what corroded and the thing starts up every time now. It almost has a loud hissing sound to it when it starts though. I'm just glad it actually starts on it's own now. Hope this thread was somewhat helpful to someone.
konacoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
d2spillers
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to d2spillers Send a message via MSN to d2spillers Send a message via Yahoo to d2spillers

Went through that on the starter relay with mine. There is no starter relay on an automatic trans.
d2spillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Pathfinder_95
AF Newbie

My problem with my 95 is it cranks but will not run, have spark at plugs and plenty of fuel pressure, distributor and valve train is moving, timing is on with TDC. Replaced ICU and distributor it ran for 5 days but no power below 3000 RPM (it started running like that a week before it died) put a different distributor in it and ran perfect for 9 days.
Pathfinder_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder_95 View Post
My problem with my 95 is it cranks but will not run, have spark at plugs and plenty of fuel pressure, distributor and valve train is moving, timing is on with TDC. Replaced ICU and distributor it ran for 5 days but no power below 3000 RPM (it started running like that a week before it died) put a different distributor in it and ran perfect for 9 days.

If you have spark and the correct fuel pressure (Tested with a gauge), then I would check to make sure the injectors are working properly. (do you have pwer to the injectors)

EDIT: Have you cleaned and tested the Mass Air Flow Sensor??

Last edited by tempfixit; 01-17-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: more questions
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempfixit For This Useful Post:
Pathfinder_95 (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Pathfinder_95
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
If you have spark and the correct fuel pressure (Tested with a gauge), then I would check to make sure the injectors are working properly. (do you have pwer to the injectors)

EDIT: Have you cleaned and tested the Mass Air Flow Sensor??
Have 60psi of fuel pressure I think and have good spark and checked timing by tdc which was good, have power going to injectors. When this problem happens is it runs for a second or two then dies and then just cranks and doesn't even try to fire. Is there something in the alarm system that could do this or oil pressure switch that goes into ICU box to cause this? Have not tested Mass Air Flow Sensor but will look into how to test it.
Pathfinder_95 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail