Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 03:38 PM   #1
B.Komarov
AF Newbie

first post- need info on Eclipse

hey all,
im a n00b at te eclipse line of cars, and i was wondering if anyone can fill me in on which generation is which and so forth. I also was wondering, how is the new 2001 - 2 eclipse rated as ? any good ? worth buying new one or is it better to buy

"kick the tires and light the fires big daddy !"
B.Komarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 09:38 AM   #2
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice
The 1st gen are the Ecplises up to 1994..
The 2nd Gen are the Eclipses from 1995 to 1999
The 3rd Gens are the Current 2000+

IMO 1st and 2nd Gens are the best, cause of the Turbo and they are easy to mod to make faster, I wouldnt waste my money on a 3rd Gen.

Bikes:
'05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, '05 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
B.Komarov
AF Newbie

whats wrong with the 3rd gen ? heaveir ? differen powerplant ?

Old 10-09-2001, 09:00 AM   #4
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

The 3rd Gens probably and alright car, but now for me.. I dont dig the newer body style to much, plus the new ones dont have a turbos or AWD. Plus there are more aftermarket parts for the older Generation Eclipses. But if your not worried about any of that stuff then its probably a good car.

Bikes:
Old 10-11-2001, 05:49 PM   #5
^YellowBandit^
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ^YellowBandit^
The 3rd gen Eclipses have an optional V6, but methinks it would still be slower than the previous turbocharged Eclipses.

Whatchoo lookin' at???
^YellowBandit^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 11:19 PM   #6
B.Komarov
AF Newbie

Were the turbo 2nd gen ones only 4 ? and the option was turbo or non turbo ?

Old 10-14-2001, 08:31 PM   #7
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

my favorite is the 2nd gen.... and i'd get the Eclipse GSX which is the turbo AWD model... with that you get lots of traction, get your power to the ground. The GS-T is the same car but without AWD
those are the only 2 eclipses i'd consider
the GS and RS models are crap, they're girls car, and i'll slap you if you buy one. hahaha lol
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 02:59 PM   #8
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
my favorite is the 2nd gen.... and i'd get the Eclipse GSX which is the turbo AWD model... with that you get lots of traction, get your power to the ground. The GS-T is the same car but without AWD
those are the only 2 eclipses i'd consider
the GS and RS models are crap, they're girls car, and i'll slap you if you buy one. hahaha lol
Yeah what he said..

GS and RS dont have Turbos and are pretty much a girls car.
GS-T has Turbo and front wheel drive, very hard to keep traction, the more boost the worse it gets.
GSX this one is the hottest, but not if you want to be burnout king. You get the Turbo, and the AWD. Some of the big dogs convert these to RWD and will stand wheelies with them with big slicks on..

Bikes:
Old 10-22-2001, 01:53 PM   #9
NeoBanshi
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to NeoBanshi Send a message via Yahoo to NeoBanshi
I would buy a 2nd gen before I would a new one.
If you are wanting to build this up for speed you will easly be able to out run the V-6 model. As of yet they don't have any aftermarket turbo kits for the v-6.
Old 10-22-2001, 05:44 PM   #10
B.Komarov
AF Newbie

also another question, pertaining to NOS, how do u set it up ? can it be done on any car ? whats invovled ? and how much power do u get from it, from a second gen eclipse if u install it

Old 10-22-2001, 07:38 PM   #11
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

have you done other mods to your car? i don't think you should do it unless you've done lots of other mods, especially strenghtening the engine, so it can take the extra rush of power better
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 10-23-2001, 12:59 PM   #12
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by B.Komarov
also another question, pertaining to NOS, how do u set it up ? can it be done on any car ? whats invovled ? and how much power do u get from it, from a second gen eclipse if u install it
This is a post from a friend of mine who is a whiz with Nitrous.. Its in a civic forum but will give you the basic idea.

Hopefully this will help to clear up some basic questions. I didn't go too in depth, I just wanted to help everyone get a basic understanding. This will hopefully be a growing FAQ. If I've missed something, e-mail me.

What is nitrous oxide and how does it work?
Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a clear, colorless, oxidizing liquefied gas with a slightly sweet odor composed of two parts nitrogen and one part oxygen. The product is stable and inert at room temperature. While classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) as a nonflammable gas, nitrous oxide will support combustion and can detonate at temperatures in excess of 650° C (1202° F).

Nitrous Oxide releases extra oxygen molecules at approximately 572° Fahrenheit. When nitrous is introduced in to the engine the initial combustion temperatures break the nitrous into its to primary components, nitrogen and oxygen. Once this happens the additional oxygen reacts with the fuel.

It is important to remember that it is not the nitrous oxide that creates the power it is the fuel. Nitrous oxide allows more fuel to be burned thus increasing cylinder pressure and forcing the pistons down with greater force. More fuel = more power.

Also NOS is a brand. It is NOT the term for nitrous oxide.

1 Shot = 1 HP

All this talk about wet, dry, direct port, plate kits… What is this stuff?
Dry – This method injects the nitrous through the air intake. A hole is drilled and tapped and a nitrous nozzle is installed. The ideal place to mount this is 6”-12” from the throttle body. If you vehicle has a Mass Airflow Sensor, it must be mounted between that and the throttle body. Good up to 75 Shot.

Wet – This method injects the nitrous with the fuel. Works like the DRY system only this adds fuel with the nitrous. This is usually done through the fuel rail. When using nitrous shots of 75 and above this is preferred over dry.

Direct Port – This system uses special injectors to add nitrous and additional fuel to each intake runner. This type of system is used in extreme nitrous conditions (i.e. 125+ shot of nitrous) because it flows the nitrous and fuel very evenly across all cylinders.

Plate Kits – Similar to Direct Port. These mount between the intake manifold and the head. They use special spray bars to introduce the nitrous and fuel into the intake air stream.

How long can I spray nitrous?
Typically you only want to spray for a maximum of 10-15 seconds and after 3000 RPMs. Also you do NOT want to spray near your rev limiter or your speed limiter. This is because they both are fuel cutoff points. This will cause you car to instantly run lean.

What should I upgrade or purchase with my nitrous kit?
Required Items –
92 Octane or Higher Gas: This may sound stupid to some, but this is a MUST. Too low of an octane rating will likely cause pre-ignition/detonation. In other words, this simple step here can save your engine.
Colder Spark Plugs: 55 Shot and below – One Step Colder
60 Shot and higher – Two Steps Colder
Retard your timing: Follow your nitrous kit manufacturer’s recommendations for this.
Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge: A definite for applications above 55 shot. Helps determine fuel/air mix.
Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauge: Some prefer this over the A/F gauge. By looking at the temp of the exhaust gases you can determine if you are running lean or rich.

Suggested Items –
Purge kit: Clears the line of “stale”(nitrous in vapor form) nitrous. Yes, you will notice a difference. Good to clear the line at the end of the night so you relieve the pressure on solenoids.
Bottle Heater: Maintains bottle pressure so you get a constant pressure while spraying. Also helps to get all of the juice out of the bottle.
Nitrous pressure gauge: Pretty obvious what this is.
Remote bottle opener: You never know when someone is going to want to race you. It looks bad when you have to get out and go to your trunk to open your bottle.
Ignition upgrades: Systems from MSD allow automatic retarding of timing, a handy feature as well as a better overall performance.
Fuel pressure regulator – While not necessary with the dry kits, they will be needed when running higher shots.
Bigger injectors – Helps with the fuel flow. You maximum horsepower is limited by how much fuel you can deliver.

How much nitrous can I run on my engine?
As much as you like. This, however, may not make your engine run for very long. Most stock Honda/Acura engines can safely handle 75 shot. Always check with the manufacturer prior. They know their systems and can recommend the safest amount for your car.

Another thing to take into consideration is the working condition of the engine. Always run a compression test on your engine prior. No matter the age or mileage. I have seen engines with 60k miles do worse in this test that engines with 100k.

Which kit should I get?
What are your future plans? What is your ultimate goal with you car? Do you plan on doing some serious engine work like new pistons, rods, cams, etc? Systems like Nitrous Express and NOS tend to be more upgradeable than the ZEX and the Venom systems. ZEX is by far the easiest to install. The venom is probably the most complicated. NOS and NX are right in the middle. I'm not going to tell you what kit is the best or will give you the most power. Find the kit that will meet your needs and your budget.

Bikes:
Old 10-23-2001, 04:17 PM   #13
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

That was some REALLY good info! Thanks rice
Old 10-24-2001, 09:59 AM   #14
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
That was some REALLY good info! Thanks rice
Hey no problem.. Just thought Id share that since he did such a good job on the info.

Bikes:
Old 11-05-2001, 09:38 AM   #15
150mph
AF Newbie

The 3g doesnt get enough credit. The aftermarket was slow at first but now is really picking up. Theres about 8 body kits, a turbo, SC, nitrous kits, headers, exhasut, brake kits, headlight and taillight conversions. When I first got the car I was anxious for new parts. Now I dont have enough $ for everything. With the products out right now(within the first 2 years) the car is more than capable of running at least low 11's. If thats not impressive for only 2 years of parts than I dont know what is.
150mph is offline   Reply With Quote