Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
spl23
AF Newbie

What's in the McLaren tool roll?

Driving Ambition has a few pictures of the Facom titanium tool kit that was supplied with the F1 (the small tool roll that was stored in the car, not the workshop kit), but I don't remember any that show the full contents. Does anyone know what exactly was provided in the on-board tool kit? Did Facom ever make the kits available commercially, or were they just for people who bought an F1?
spl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Re: What's in the McLaren tool roll?

there was a discussion about Gloves being in the roll here -
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...77&postcount=4
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...04&postcount=9

try a search to see what else you can find

Last edited by hurstg01; 10-04-2006 at 10:36 AM.
hurstg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #3
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

The gloves aren't actually included in the tool roll. They are kept in the right side pod so the owners hands don't get messy if he's changing the oil (the top up location for the oil is in the right side pod too)
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

Here's the 5 best photos I think I have of the on-board tool roll, courtesy of Drew from TMS. These were taken of the tool roll from chassis #007.

Maybe someone else can describe in greater detail exactly what all the smaller items are. From what I can tell, the five combo wrenches are 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 11mm and 12mm. I'd guess that the Allen wrenches are 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm. The silver tool may be a driver for the insert bits found on the far right, but I could be wrong on that.

I can tell you that those titanium wrenches are so much lighter than you expect them to be. I was certainly surprised by it.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #5
spl23
AF Newbie

Excellent! Many thanks, Peloton - those were exactly what I was looking for. I think you're probably right about the object in the middle being the handle for the screwdriver bits. Odd that the allen keys don't look as if they are titanium - the spanners, pliers and screwdriver bits all look as if they are though. Looks like a socket of some sort packed above the screwdriver bits, as well.

Browsing Facom's website, they do offer tool rolls for motorists at around $200 (for boring old steel - I can't imagine how much a custom Ti version must have cost) but this one seems to be exclusive to the F1 and not generally available.

Ah well - I'll have to content myself that my new 3 litre 1 series BMW, arriving at the end of the month, has nearly got half an F1 engine in it! ;-)
spl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

Is the socket not the tool for removing the tyre valve caps?

carbuilder2002.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
LMMike
AF Regular

Hey Guys, I'm selling my F1 gold anodized titanium spanners and steel pliers from the onboard tool roll. I've had them in my collection for the past 10 years and I'm ready to part with them. Please send me a PM if interested. If you would kindly leave me your email address so I can easily contact you while on the go I would appreciate it. Looking forward to discussing these fine tools with you. Please ask any questions you may have. Thanks! I tried putting up a picture but that option is not working at the moment. I will continue trying but in the meantime I can send the pictures to anyone with an email address. Thanks again!
LMMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
LMMike
AF Regular

Decided to sell my F1 spanner set / pliers. Yes I'm giving myself a plug by sharing this with everyone here on the forum. Been a member for many years here on the forum and this is my last remaining piece. Needs a new home, would like the set to go to a hardcore collector who will appreciate them. See link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McLaren-F1-T...MAAOSwP8BZqyNs

Send me a PM if interested. I only ship within the USA. Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
LMMike
AF Regular

Anyone looking for the Gold Anodized Titanium Spanners exclusively made for the F1? I have a set. Accepting offers.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

They aren't gold anodized - they have a Nitride coating which improves their surface hardness.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
LMMike
AF Regular

I actually have known that for the past 20 plus years. Way back, I scoured the depths of titanium and titanium nitride, researched and also called factories that produce titanium nitride coatings on surfaces of various objects to protect them. When I was collecting F1 memorabilia I used to also find out everything and every detail about how and what they were made of, always loved that. I have an obscene amount of printed material I collected on all F1 objects. I clarified the fact that they are made with a titanium nitride coating in my old eBay listing a few years ago. I had done that because some people still believed they are gold plated and I wanted to get that straight for people viewing my listing. It's been a great while since I have thought about any of this and unlike titanium and titanium nitride coatings, I lack the inertness to avoid becoming rusty. Thank you for correcting my misspoken use of terminology here on the forum and preventing folks from becoming mislead.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1