Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
LAND MISSILE
Banned

Send a message via AIM to LAND MISSILE Send a message via Yahoo to LAND MISSILE
Never heard of this part...

I have a '94 villager that is idling at about 500 rpm's. So I took it in to have it looked at and they told me that the main problem is the "#2 idle air solenoid block" is bad.

Does anyone know what that is and where it is on the engine?

EDIT: BTW, it's got the 3.0 engine and 145,000 miles.
LAND MISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Re: Never heard of this part...

First thing RUN AWAY FROM THST MECHANIC.
He/she/they are right about idle air but not the #2 thing. I have the haynes manual and there is nothing even close to a #2 in Idle Air Valve/Idle Air Control Valve. AIV/AICV same part two names. It is located under the the firewall on the top of the engine kinda like in between the two wipers if you measure from there as a center. It has a white cap screw so you can easily see that. When the car is cold that is the part that the coolant runs thru and then it will open/close to set the throttle and vise versa for warm. This may or may not be your problem but I would get a second opinion. The dealer will charge you about 1-2 hours to check and replace it if it is.
IH8SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
dzus
AF Regular

On the IAC there are 2 solenoids. There larger part where wire harness connects is the #2 solenoid and the smaller part is the #1 solenoid.
The #2 controls the IAC and the smaller solenoid (#1)controls fast idle on the IAC. #2 is on backside of IAC and #1 is on the right side of IAC.
dzus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:15 AM   #4
jackass#1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to jackass#1

dzus is right. there are 2.
jackass#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
LAND MISSILE
Banned

Thanks for the helps guys!

IH8SPM: I'm definately going to run away from these folks because they want $500 to fix the solenoid!!! I priced the same part at auto zone for $179...

dzus: 'preciate it! Went out and bought the shop manual for this sucker so I can take a shot at fixing it myself.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAND MISSILE
Thanks for the helps guys!

IH8SPM: I'm definately going to run away from these folks because they want $500 to fix the solenoid!!! I priced the same part at auto zone for $179...

dzus: 'preciate it! Went out and bought the shop manual for this sucker so I can take a shot at fixing it myself.
Try shopping at http://www.rockauto.com/
They have consistently shown the lowest prices on parts I have purchased recently. Here is the 5% discount code and instructions they sent me. If you know the part number AutoZone found, getting a price online is really easy. I spoke to them on the phone once and they were very helpful. Lower price, no sales tax, top quality, $6 shipping. You might save $50 more than AutoZone.
To show our appreciation, we would like to give you and your friends a special discount on auto parts.

Here's how it works:

- You give this discount code: 222810209217 to friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.
- When someone (including yourself) places an order at www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.
- The discount code expires on July 5, 2005; so don't wait!

You may use this discount code as often as you wish until it expires, but only one discount code can be used per order.

**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code.**

Please call or email if you have questions or suggestions. Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

Tom Taylor
VP Marketing
www.rockauto.com
service@rockauto.com
1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)
(608) 661-1376
JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
IH8SPM
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzus
On the IAC there are 2 solenoids. There larger part where wire harness connects is the #2 solenoid and the smaller part is the #1 solenoid.
The #2 controls the IAC and the smaller solenoid (#1)controls fast idle on the IAC. #2 is on backside of IAC and #1 is on the right side of IAC.
I type corrected. I guess I have to ask this question. When I first start up my idle is low and fluctuates for a few seconds then goes to the warm up idle and everything is fine. Is there anyway to stop the fluctuation.

PS
I changed this part myself B4 with a used one from a seller on Ebay that I got for $15. It is only 4 bolts forgot the size think it was a 10mm or 12mm. I have a picture in my gallery.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:07 AM   #8
dzus
AF Regular

Hey IH8SPM;
The throttle body may only need a good cleaning and try to get behind the butterfly valve also. You may need to adjust idle speed a bit,but if it idles normal after a few seconds it may not be worth messing with. One more thing,clean the maf sensor element wires CAREFULLY with contact cleaner.
dzus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
IH8SPM
AF Regular

I had the throttle body cleaned a year ago when I had the dealer replace the TPS sensor. I will do it again myself and since you mentioned MAF sensor I have a used one from another van that I will just swap out first and see if that helps. Adjusting idle speed is not something I want to do since it was set at the dealer.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
LAND MISSILE
Banned

Hey guys, I've got another problem that just cropped up.

My '94 has a digital dash and it just "went out" the other day. I replaced the fuse and as long as I turned the key to the accessories position it would light up & work fine, but would blow the fuse whenever I would turn the key to the start position. (no dash)

So I tried the ignition switch, replaced it and it works great. But wait, if I press the dash "defrost" button or the "A/C" button it blows the meter fuse out all over again. The dash goes out along with the heater controls.

Anybody ever had this sort of thing happen to them?

I think the logical thing to do would be to swap out the heater control panel as there may be a short in there somewhere-what do you think?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager