Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #1
gromittoo
AF Regular

Instrument cluster lights "dim only" problem

A year ago, I had 4-5 dash lights burned out in my instrument cluster in my 2001 Chrysler Voyager. I bought a cheap pack of 10 of LED replacement bulbs. I didn't care for the color. Also, they didn't dim as much as incandescent bulbs do, but I wasn't going to change them.

Eventually, the LED lamps started blinking and flickering, one by one. Then they began burning out (I thought LEDs were not supposed to burn out!!!). I have video if anyone wants to see it. I wound up replacing all of the LED bulbs with brand new incandescents.

Here is where it gets weird. The new bulbs work correctly in the dim mode, but when I rotate the dimming wheel to the "bright dash light" position, the instrument cluster stays dim. All of the other dash lights work correctly. This is a big problem, since the instrument cluster is not bright enough to see in the daylight.

I figure that the LEDs damaged some part of the instrument cluster dimming circuit. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix, short of replacing the instrument cluster?
gromittoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Instrument cluster lights "dim only" problem

#1 You have to get LED's that are specifically dimmable. Standard LED's don't dim.
#2 The LED lights didn't last because they were cheap. I have looked at various LED lights on Amazon, eBay, etc and the super cheap ones always have poor reviews, especially in longevity.

I don't think the LEDs would have damaged part of the dimming circuit. You need to test your rheostat (dimmer) to see if voltage changes when you turn it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager