Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #31
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 00' Silverado no heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
...The control on the right has a lot of vacuum tubes make sure you have vacuum and it switches.
I would have thought that by 2000 they would have at least changed the control to transistors, if not monolithic or thick film devices. I thought only the Russians and Hungarians were still using vacuum tubes.

As for the hunting idle RPM, surging and stalling, it could be time to clean the throttle body, idle air control passages, and remove the idle air control to disassemble, clean, and lubricate it. I JUST went through this on an '05 with the same kind of symptoms, and that's all I did to rectify it. It hasn't been quite as cool here as in Eau Claire, but as soon as it hit about -10°F the symptoms began. There was just enough varnish buildup on the IAC stem to make it sluggish to the point where the PCM was trying to "chase" the idle RPM with air adjustment but the IAC couldn't react quickly enough. It would hunt from OVER 2,000 RPM to stalling, even in neutral. Once the IAC was cleaned/lubed/reinstalled it immediately went back to normal (No, not Normal, Illinois, only Rockford).

This may be of some help: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...67&postcount=7
Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #32
dakota1205
AF Newbie

I'v had the same issues on my 00 silverado z71. I back flushed my heater core and gunk come out of it. I'v had to do it once a year about this time. I still use the dexcool and just use regular tap water. Could regular tap water make the dexcool gunk up over time? Once I backflush, it works great though.
dakota1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #33
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1205 View Post
I'v had the same issues on my 00 silverado z71. I back flushed my heater core and gunk come out of it. I'v had to do it once a year about this time. I still use the dexcool and just use regular tap water. Could regular tap water make the dexcool gunk up over time? Once I backflush, it works great though.
the Dexcool issues are most times from using dirty contaminated water.. tap water has chemicals that react to Dexcool in a bad way. I have used Dexcool for now over 20 yrs. still have a 96 impala and funny how when the car was new I had heater problems but not now since I use distilled water with 60%dexcool.. 2000 silverado same thing 16yrs now and the coolant system still working great good heater heat about 130 DEG F out the vents. 20deg F air temp... flushing is done at each coolant change and I also blow it out ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #34
dakota1205
AF Newbie

ok.
Thanks for that info. Sounds like I need to do a flush & blow and replace with Distilled water next time. If you've had that good luck, then I need to try it. Should the same water be used with the "Green" antifreeze as well??
dakota1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #35
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1205 View Post
ok.
Thanks for that info. Sounds like I need to do a flush & blow and replace with Distilled water next time. If you've had that good luck, then I need to try it. Should the same water be used with the "Green" antifreeze as well??
well back in the 1980'S I began the distilled water and block drain because of the radiator have scale build up on the cooling tubes before Dexcool existed . thats when I stopped using dirty drinking water that scale and corrosion ended. I used the prestone green back then as all had this coolant. the 2000 and 1996 comes with dexcool so when these are changed to a non dexcool / so called compatibles antifreeze this does create problems with black goop being grown .. remember GM approved Dexcool is what to use compatible is not dexcool.

so in 1996 I continued with the distilled in my new 96 impala and then in 2000 the silverado no coolant problems distilled water does work.. drinking water has too many metals and corrosive bacterial killers .. the dexcool is replaced every 4 yrs .
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #36
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

I've been mixing my own distilled water 50/50 mix for more years than I can remember.

There is a graph on each antifreeze bottle that shows what the % mixture should be for the temps expected.

You can buy a 50/50 pre-mix at most parts stores, but I'm not sure what kind of water they use for the mix??

Bottom line is always use distilled water and do not mix colors!!
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #37
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777stickman View Post
I've been mixing my own distilled water 50/50 mix for more years than I can remember.

There is a graph on each antifreeze bottle that shows what the % mixture should be for the temps expected.

You can buy a 50/50 pre-mix at most parts stores, but I'm not sure what kind of water they use for the mix??

Bottom line is always use distilled water and do not mix colors!!
I look at it this way $5 for a 1/2 gallon of water not good ! distilled $1 a gallon about $12 a gallon for 100% anti freeze..much cheaper . pure antifreeze has longer shelf life..
Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #38
grillnguy1
AF Newbie

i have a 2000 silverado with 5.3.ihave heat temp seems to be normal but anti-freeze smell all inside.it is not leaking in the floor but when running just below the a/c dryer there is a hose coming out of the firewall that is dripping 1 drip every 3 seconds.is it a clog or leaking heater core.
grillnguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #39
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillnguy1 View Post
i have a 2000 silverado with 5.3.ihave heat temp seems to be normal but anti-freeze smell all inside.it is not leaking in the floor but when running just below the a/c dryer there is a hose coming out of the firewall that is dripping 1 drip every 3 seconds.is it a clog or leaking heater core.
the heater core leaking coolant out the under hood drain passenger side means your screwed . this will require the dash to be removed. I would bypass the heater core until you figure out what your gonna what to do or spend. put a hose across the heater core hose connections at the motor . I say that because the heater core hose disconnects will break if you mess with them . they will crack/leak. breathing coolant is bad for you ..bypass until you fix it..
Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #40
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #41
j cAT
AF Fanatic

if you fix it make sure you use distilled water no drinking water . use 60% antifreeze not less than 50%.. this takes about 4.25 gallons of coolant so if you drain the block completely this will require 2.5 gallons of antifreeze 100%. many flush the coolant system then not drain out the block then add about 1.5 gallons of the 50/50 mix.. that is very damaging which then causes the metal to corrode .. 60 % antifreeze is all about corrosion not about arctic air temps . before you put it all back make sure that heater core does not leak.. some have had them leak ..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado