Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #31
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

Re: The GAS CAP code!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is bulletin for your DTC P0446

[hr]
[/align]
#02-06-04-037D: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked Evap Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit) - (Apr 16, 2008) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit)[/align][align=left]

Models:
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Models[/align][align=left]

1999-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Models[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado Models[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra Models[/align]

[hr]

This bulletin is being revised to add new style pickups to the models and update the correction information to include a new location for the filter box. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037C (Section 06 Engine/Propulsion System).
[hr]

Condition
Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the check engine light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.
Cause
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.
Correction (1999-2007 Classic/Old Style Models)
After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent valve assembly with a new assembly. This new assembly is a sealed unit that is designed to be vented through a remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.
[ol][/ol]
1999-2003 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N19152345)
[ol]Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.
Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.
Disengage the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody. Remove the clips from the underbody and discard.
Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.
Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.
Remove the complete EVAP canister vent valve assembly with bracket attached and discard.

Important:The new canister vent valve will be installed in a new location, outside of the frame.
Position and secure the new valve assembly to the frame bracket on the outside of the frame using the existing hole and mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12N·m (106lbin).
Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.
Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.
Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.
Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.
Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.
Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.
Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.
Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.
Lower the vehicle. [/ol]
[ol][/ol]
2004-2007 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N19152349)
Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.
Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.
Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51mm (2in) to remove the quick connect end.
Crew Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Extended Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.
Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76mm (3in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.
Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.
Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.
Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.
Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.
Lower the vehicle. [/ol]
Correction (2007-2008 New Style Models)
After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the EVAP canister vent valve assembly and relocate the remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.
[ol][/ol]
Use Service Kit P/N19152349
Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Disconnect the vent valve pipe quick connect from the canister.
Either cut the existing valve vent pipe and leave the remaining section of pipe in the vehicle or remove along with the valve.
Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.
Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51mm (2in) and retain the pipe for use with new valve.
Connect the canister pipe quick connect to the canister.
2500 Crew Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

1500 Extended Cab Short Box Shown Below, Other Configurations Similar

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.
Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76mm (3in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.
Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the passenger side area above the transmission.
Remove the transmission heat shield, if necessary.

Reinstall the transmission heat shield.
Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Lower the vehicle. [/ol]
Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Material Allowance

19152345 (1999-2003 Model Year)

Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

19152349 (2004-2008 Model Year)

Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

9438383 (5/8" X 25' roll)

Hose

Cut to Length

$10.80 USD ($22.59 CAD)

12337820 (10 per pack)

Tie-Strap

$3.80 USD ($4.55 CAD)

15620999 (10 per pack)

Clamp

2 (1999-2003)
or
4 (2004-2008)

$3.78 USD ($7.08 CAD) (1999-2003)
or
$7.56 USD ($14.17 CAD) (2004-2008)
Put unused material on shelf for future use.
Hope this helps you.when you finish let us know,what was wrong.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #32
CRF230dad
AF Newbie

I discovered 3 - error codes P0442, P0443 & P0455 after taking my 03' Suburban 1500 LS 5.3L 2wd to get smoged. Went to my mechanic who did a smoke test found leaks on both (cracked vent/rollover valves) from the top of the fuel tank. Fuel tank replaced, $1,100 dollars later code P0455 came back after a week or two. Back to mechanic discovered bad contact where the wires connect to the molex connector to the canister purge control solenoid while moving wires around because it would work then not work. He ordered the connector, I replaced it myself. Took it back so he could clear the code. Code back (P0455) after a week. I replaced the gas cap with an OEM. Took it to my friend who read and cleared the code. Code was back after a couple weeks. Where do I look next? Please help I'm going crazy. I really need a DIY fix cause I'm running out of cash....

Last edited by CRF230dad; 10-24-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: More info
CRF230dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #33
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF230dad View Post
I discovered 3 - error codes P0442, P0443 & P0455 after taking my 03' Suburban to get smoged. Went to my mechanic who did a smoke test found leaks on both (cracked vent/rollover valves) from the top of the fuel tank. Fuel tank replaced, $1,100 dollars later code P0455 came back after a week or two . Back to mechanic discovered bad contact where the wires connect to the molex connector to the canister purge control solenoid while moving wires around because it would work then not work. He ordered the connector, I replaced it myself. Took it back so he could clear the code. Code back (P0455) after a week or two. I replaced the gas cap with an OEM. Took it to my friend who read and cleared the code. Code was back after a couple weeks. Where do I look next? Please help I'm going crazy. I really need a DIY fix cause I'm running out of cash....
the code p0455 comes back after a couple of weeks ???
this is strange.

my guess is the engine is running when you fuel up.

this would be a large leak in the venting system. if the code comes back all the time every day I would say it is a leak in the vent system.

every time the engine starts it goes thru the diagnostic test of the fuel vapor system. the vent solenoid could be sticking sometimes.

In the rust belt the fuel filler tube can rust through.

never fill the fuel tank all the way and park it. burn off excess fuel before parking. this is how these devices get messed up. the fuel gets into the charcoal cannister then black goo fouls the valves.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #34
CRF230dad
AF Newbie

I do not gas up with the engine running. The code ma have come back sooner than 2 weeks. Any place specific I should check in the vent system?
CRF230dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #35
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF230dad View Post
I do not gas up with the engine running. The code ma have come back sooner than 2 weeks. Any place specific I should check in the vent system?
never fill the fuel tank all the way and park it. burn off excess fuel before parking. this is how these devices get messed up. the fuel gets into the charcoal cannister then black goo fouls the valves.

vent valve may need replacing. check the vent lines for black goo first.

the lines must be replaced or cleaned first or the vent valve may get fouled again.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
TahoeJoe1984
AF Newbie

Cool 2003 chevy tahoe p0455 code

My tahoe has been setting off the p0455 code. Took it to my mechanic yesterday, and I had to leave my car with him for 1day. I've changed my fuel filter and fuel pump last month. I've noticed my gas milage has been really bad, a full tank of gas would only last about three days.
TahoeJoe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #37
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2003 chevy tahoe p0455 code

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe1984 View Post
My tahoe has been setting off the p0455 code. Took it to my mechanic yesterday, and I had to leave my car with him for 1day. I've changed my fuel filter and fuel pump last month. I've noticed my gas milage has been really bad, a full tank of gas would only last about three days.
with the gas mileage poor and loosing fuel over three days you must have a leak. check or I should say have someone check the fuel lines for leaks especially the lines near the vapor fuel canister. the return line will leak only when the engine runs. replacing the fuel pump you/they may have cracked the plastic lines. some do not remove and drop tank then the plastic gets broken ////VERY COMMON ///TIME IS MONEY ...
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
Dave NYC
AF Newbie

Hi,
I was driving my car this morning, an 01' Deville and on my DIC it gave me the message "Check Gas Cap." But, the SES light did not pop on. So, the first thing I did is tighten the gas cap. I normally get my gas in New Jersey as it's much cheaper than New York City. Jersey law prohibits to fill your own tank. So, it is always a gas jockey pumping the gas and putting your cap back on.

I did notice that my cap did not seem to be flush. So, I took it off and put it back in and made sure it clicked a few times. The SES light is not on and

I get the message "Check Gas Cap" when I start my car. I used my OBD II scanner and I did have the P0440 code.

But, still no SES light, just the message "Check Gas Cap." This happened this morning. So, perhaps it will simply take time for the system to reset itself.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why there is no SES light, the DIC says "Check Gas Cap?

Thanks for any help.
Dave NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #39
tamabear
AF Newbie

I have a 2009 chevy Silverado small leak code comes up even after the new gas cap from the dealer...did the smoke test could NOT find anything wrong or a leak what do I do??? please help! thanks
tamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
tamabear
AF Newbie

I need help 2009 Silverado small leak code did smoke test no leak found and purge valve was working replaced the gas cap from the dealer and still light comes on.... help please!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamabear View Post
I need help 2009 Silverado small leak code did smoke test no leak found and purge valve was working replaced the gas cap from the dealer and still light comes on.... help please!
post the code number .
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #42
tamabear
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
post the code number .
Po442
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #43
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Po442
this code means the PCM has found that your fuel tank has a small leak when the vacuum test is performed. this can be the vapor canister/lines around the vapor canister/the fuel filler metal neck will rot and have small leak where it is secured at the fender/ these are some of the reported and common causes.

with the gas cap code , this would indicate a large leak. the other codes report that the vent valve is defective.

if the fuel pump was replaced then the gasket could be screwed up.

happy hunting..
Old 11-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #44
tamabear
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
this code means the PCM has found that your fuel tank has a small leak when the vacuum test is performed. this can be the vapor canister/lines around the vapor canister/the fuel filler metal neck will rot and have small leak where it is secured at the fender/ these are some of the reported and common causes.

with the gas cap code , this would indicate a large leak. the other codes report that the vent valve is defective.

if the fuel pump was replaced then the gasket could be screwed up.

happy hunting..
the truck is clean no rust and only has 70000 miles on it and has never had the tank massed with we went thru all the lines and no cracks or pinched hoses and didn't find any rusted out lines out of things to look at thanks anyway...
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #45
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
the truck is clean no rust and only has 70000 miles on it and has never had the tank massed with we went thru all the lines and no cracks or pinched hoses and didn't find any rusted out lines out of things to look at thanks anyway...
I would remove the vapor canister inspect the hoses/plastic /metal lines all in this area. the metal return line usually corrodes in this area. the fuel filler disconnect and drop down to check for holes at the bracket weld points.

the intake manifold has a line that goes to the vacuum valve . this line may have a leak crack ..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado