Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:26 AM   #1
RevRMD
AF Newbie

2000 Explorer Door Locks

Hello,
2000 Ford Explorer Limited - door locks not working. When they started to go bad, they would lock but not unlock. Then shortly after they were inoperative, including the lock in the back. I checked the fuse and it is OK. This may be something - when I pulled the fuse I tested on side and got battery voltage. The other terminal was showing just over 8 volts. With the fuse pulled, should it have any voltage at all??? Also, what should the voltage be at the switch in the drivers door? Any help appreciated!!
Thanks.
RevRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
RevRMD
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Explorer Door Locks

Got it figured out and fixed. The lock and unlock relays are in the rear cargo area behind the access panel (drivers side - where the jack is and the switch to turn off the air adjust). There was a hole about 5 inches by 3/4 inch that had rusted in the wheel well which allowed all kinds of water and dirt to get in. There were 5 wires that were corroded and broken from the relays. I located a wiring diagram that told me where each wire went on the relay and I simply put some connectors on the end of all of the wires (the broken ones and all of the other ones as well - bypassed the connector block) and wired directly to the relay. Worked like a charm. Now to seal p the rust hole and should be good as gold.
RevRMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2000 Explorer Door Locks

Congrats on the fix. Thank you for following up with what you found and how you fixed it!

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac