Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
kcs213
AF Newbie

1994 safari brake pulling problem

I have a 1994 GMC Safari AWD with the 4.3L "w" engine and ABS brakes. My daughter drives the van so I was unaware of the problem until just recent. The problem has been going on for about 3-4 months. When you push the brakes the vehicle will turn right even turning the steering wheel. My first thought was a stuck caliper. I check the left caliper and sure enough it was frozen. I then replace the caliper and bleed the line of air. When I took it for the test drive I still have the same pull to the right. I checked the lines for kinks or damage and saw nothing. I don't know enough about ABS but from what I think I know the brakes work normal unless the pressure is high then abs kicks in. Is this a ABS problem? Is there other parts I should be checking or replacing? Your help is appreciated.
thanks
kcs213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: 1994 safari brake pulling problem

Don't let the master cylinder run dry. If it is allowed to run dry, you will need an ABS capable scan tool to bleed the brakes. The scan tool activates solenoids in the ABS unit to allow proper bleeding. If it did not run dry, most likely the left flex hose is partially restricted or deteriorated in which case it will need replacement.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Leeann94astro
AF Regular

To second old master, I had to replace both front hoses last year on my '93 Astro and on my '93 Bravada - they were both disintegrating inside.
Leeann94astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
kcs213
AF Newbie

Hi
I replace the left brake hose. A lot harder than I thought. Hard to get wrenches in on the upper part of the hose and then be able to turn the wrench. I then took for test drive. The extreme pull to the right has stopped but still have a drift to the right. It almost feels like the back brakes have something to do with it. When I apply the brake it seem like the back goes left causing the vehicle to go right. I did not have time to get a look at the back brakes right now but is there anything I should be looking for?
thanks
kcs213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Quickest, easiest way to see if it's rears causing the drift is to line lock the rear brakes at the rear flex hose and drive it, CAREFULLY. A small "C" clamp works well, tighten it just enough to stop fluid flow. If the drift is gone, check the rear brakes and repair/adjust if/as necessary. Keep in mind during the road test, you are only using the front brakes. The proportioning valve safety shut off will not operate if there is a hydraulic failure in the front system leaving you with NO brakes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
abs , astro , brake , chev , pulling
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies