Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #76
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

Looking great SB! Thank God no rain gutters, eh?

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #77
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

Not much modelling progress to report on this time - dad and I returned from Le Mans late last night! Once again we had a great few days - drive down Wednesday, out and about to Blois on Thursday, open pit-lane on Friday, then the race itself. I'd say the weather was better than we could have hoped for given how it's been this summer, and the campsite - although surprisingly full - seemed slightly more relaxed this year. We certainly slept better this time, compared to other years...!

So, a few photos to give a flavour of the weekend...

First up, Audi no1 in the pits on Friday. Unfortunately the hybrid drive system was covered here, but you can see the large 'cake tins' they're using around the brakes and hubs, similar to F1:

Audi no1 again, but this time at about 12.30pm on Saturday. I managed to borrow a pass from a friend (thanks, Jean-Luc, Eric!) which got me into the paddock and pitlane on Saturday. Different vibe compared to Friday - you can feel that the serious business of the weekend is at hand, the barriers are down, and everyone is in their pre-race routine:

Aston Martin Vantage (GTE-Pro, no97 I believe) - again, Saturday:

Toyota LMP1 no7 - also Saturday:

Outside the pitlane they were preparing for some demo laps from three of the Matra sportscars from the early 70's. Behind the centre car you can see Henri Pescarolo and, I believe, Gerard Larrousse, and to the left with his back to the camera is Josh Hill. I used the stairs to the media centre to get a few shots, as there was no easy way to get close to the cars on the ground:

On Friday we managed to get into the paddock for the supporting Group C race. Mmmmm....Group C! To be honest I took more photos here than anywhere else, of which these are a handful:

Lancia LC2 (1984). This is a seriously good-looking car - just a shame that it's period race performance never matched! At the end of Saturday's support race it nearly caused a major accident on the start / finish line as it ploughed through at full speed despite the fact that two or three marshals were stopping the cars and turning them back into the end of the pitlane. Could have been very nasty, especially as the track was wet; fortunately the driver found a gap through the cars (and marshals)...

Nissan R90CK (1990):

Sauber-Mercedes C11 (1989):

Porsche 962 (1990):

...and this was just one of several 956 / 962's, most of which were easily accessible! As you can imagine, I took the opportunity to get some 'up-close' shots for future reference...

Finally, to steer this post vaguely back onto topic, I found this on a stall behind the main grandstands:

It's a 1/8 Jagermeister 935-K3, and it's fantastic! It didn't have a price attached (and I wasn't going to ask) but after investigation today it seems that it's by True-Scale Miniatures and it retails for about $ 3500! It made me realise what the Moby Dick could look like when it's finished, so it was a lucky find.

Also on the same stall, I spotted the Spark 1/18...Moby Dick! I've seen this advertised for the past few years but not actually found one for sale...so, as you can imagine, this one came home with me:

The smaller version is the 1/43 white test car, also by Spark, which until now is the only die-cast model I've found of the 935-78. The 1/18 is a nice piece and will be a very useful 3D reference - I'm not going to start over if I find a small discrepancy in a measurement, but it's always good to have something solid you can view in person, rather than having to rely on photos.

So, that brings me back to today. I'll get back into the swing of things with the project and hopefully have more progress to show on Sunday.

Simon - as this is the thrid time I've made fibreglass bodywork for a model, I'm trying to remember all the little niggles I've had in the past. Each layer on the roof section was a single piece of cloth, rather than using separate sections, so I've avoided the build-up you get where the pieces meet. Hopefully this should mean fewer ridge-lines to sand down at a later date, and a less rippled surface! Adding a single layer at a time also helped, although it obviously takes longer - it's too easy to get movement or air bubbles when putting multiple layers on at once.

Ian - you're right, no gutters! Plenty of other little details to worry about, but no gutters! I don't think I could have moulded them successfully at the same time as the main roof, so they would have to be an add-on part. Hmm...probably some fine styrene detailing, perhaps? I'll worry about them when I make a regular 935...so in maybe three years?! By the way, your 917 is looking rather good, too!

See you all Sunday,

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #78
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

WOW. you sure had a fun weekend. if i'd been there i would have drooled all over the group C cars and the audis!

and the progress...definitely waiting for more great stuff
Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #79
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Hi SB, glad you had a good time and sorry I missed you this year, but I'm 3,000 mile away. Still managed to enjoy it with Radio Le Mans though!

Those pics are magnificent - you are very lucky to have had the chance to get in pit lane without the crowds and thanks for sharing!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #80
John18d
AF Enthusiast

great pictures SB
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #81
ianc911
AF Enthusiast

Great pics SB, you must have had a fabulous weekend! Le Mans is definitely on my bucket list. It must have been great to see those old Matras out on the track; they had a 3 or 4 year sweep there in the mid seventies IIRC. Who owns those things now? Is that Larousse in the blue and white racing suit with his face hidden by the red brim of his hat? Great pics and thanks for posting!

ianc
ianc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #82
JesusM
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing a very good weekend!!
JesusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #83
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc911 View Post
Great pics SB, you must have had a fabulous weekend! Le Mans is definitely on my bucket list. It must have been great to see those old Matras out on the track; they had a 3 or 4 year sweep there in the mid seventies IIRC. Who owns those things now? Is that Larousse in the blue and white racing suit with his face hidden by the red brim of his hat? Great pics and thanks for posting!

ianc
IIRC, at least one of them lives in the Le Mans Museum, next to the circuit.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #84
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

It's been a few years since I last visited the museum at Le Mans, but I think Cinqster's right about at least one of the Matras being on display there - they had the three cars running on track, plus a fourth car sitting on display in the 'village' area. I remember reading about one or maybe two of them running in the Tour de France (?) historic rally a year to two ago, so they obviously get excercised from time to time! In period they won the 24H in '72, '73 and '74, although it's worth remembering that from 1972 the big Group 5 cars (Porsche 917, Ferrari 512, etc) were ruled out...

Anyway, here's a few more shots...

Front end detail of the Jagermeister 962:

...and the rear end:

Spice SE89 Group C2:

Business end of the Group 44 Jaguar XJR5:

According to the entry list this is a Nissan NPTI90:

I believe this is another Nissan, an R88C. The gearbox and rear suspension was off, the engine out, and a mass of pipework and plumbing left behind:

...and to finish with, this is about as good as I could get of the Matras with so many people around:

I was busy taking shots in the pitlane when they were actually running, but they certainly made a wonderful noise!

Must stop - I won't get any modelling done at this rate.

SB
Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #85
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

cool pics.
suspect the Lancia lc2 is the latest evo (wide body) model from 1985, silv. winner.Great car, with ferrari formula 1 engine...

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #86
Joe Blyth
AF Regular

Wonderful work as always, and thanks for the awesome vintage racer pics!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #87
Engineer66
AF Newbie

Excellent work as usual SB.

Have you checked out www.gunnarracing.com ?

They have loads of vides and galleries with detail shots of rebuilds of racing Porsches of all types; might prove usefull for this project.

cheers

Al
Engineer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #88
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again,

The last week and a bit has all been about the front end of the chassis - although I had made some progress by last weekend, there wasn't much to show for it. The early stages were slow-going as it was important to make sure the main tubes running from the base of the screen to the nose were correctly aligned - eventually they will be tied-in to the fibreglass shell, but they also give me the shape of the bonnet. Once the front frame is sorted out, I can start making the moulds for the bonnet and the base of the windscreen.

So, the first job was to locate the fibreglass top shell so I could be sure of getting it in the right place every time - this wasn't a ten-minute job. I made a pair of support towers to add to the front of the jigframe, and drilled through the flange at the front of the shell - but only after more than a few measurements, checking, and double-checking!

Once the shell was positioned I could continue adding the tubes to the floor of the chassis - all the larger ones have extra ali or brass internal reinforcement, as before, and the main joints are pinned for strength.

In the next photo I've started adding the verticals for the main front suspension mounting frame, and the radiator supports:

Throughout all this I was modifying the lego framework to suit, depending on what access I needed and where I had to add new tubes. Add in the extra internal reinforcement and the time required for each tube soon increased beyond my normal half-hour or so.

With a few more diagonal braces added, the front of the frame was now relatively complete:

It's solid enough that I can now start working on the patterns for the new sections of bodywork - no doubt I'll add a few more tubes during the next week or so, though. There's a removable cross-brace which fits into the front bay, for example, but that's a job for later.

With a little trimming the mk1 front bulkhead was added:

Still fits! It's not really needed for the next stage of the build, but it's pleasing to see it in place like this - the plan is working, so far. Most of it will be hidden by the fuel tank, oil tank, etc, but it still needs to be right!

So, now to start on the next round of bodywork moulds...

Hello Al - yes, Gunnar Racing have certainly done some interesting builds in the last few years - the 917 videos are rather good, too! They've done a few 935's, so there are some good shots of the more 'standard' parts of the car, even if it's not necessarily the same as the Moby. It all adds to the flavour!

Have a good week, everyone.

SB
Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #89
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

...So, as with the earlier moulds the first step was to hotwire several foam blocks to give the bonnet some curves:

A layer of thin cereal-packet cardboard was marked with the basic outline of the bonnet and taped to the foam:

The outer edges of the bonnet had to be built-up to create the central channel - my original plan was to add these card pieces each side as a foundation then finish off with a layer of filler, but I decided against this. Instead, I added another layer of cardboard over the whole mould, and used greenstuff to create the angled sides of the channel:

By the end of the week the mould was ready for the fibreglass, so on Friday night I started laying-up, and continued through the weekend. I also took the opportunity to mould the second door panel at the same time, plus to make another section around the base of the windscreen - this will be useful later on...

...and that's where I'm up to. The door and windscreen section have had the same number of fibreglass layers as before, so they're sitting on the moulds until tomorrow night. The bonnet could use another couple, so it'll probably be Wednesday night before it's finished. We're racing at Oulton Park next weekend, but I'll be back on Sunday and should be able to show some finished parts in the next update.

All the best,

SB
Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #90
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Yet Again.. WOW!!!
Also, love that the lego is all black, now thats not easy to do with so many colours available!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote