Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
dpsayz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpsayz Send a message via MSN to dpsayz Send a message via Yahoo to dpsayz
Another "My first car" thread

Hi hi. I am 15 and really love cars ( but i dont know too much ) Well i already know that you people must be sick and tired of all these what should i get as my first car but i really want to know for my standards. Hehe i dont have a job right now ( so that means no money at all for a car ) But i am asking about this now so that i could make goals and just know about what kinda car i should get. The only car that i can drive when i get my licence is a 1989 automatic Camery. I would fix that car up a bit but i havnt really been able to find any aftermarket parts for it at all.

My main goals for my car would have to be its an import, and id make like minor upgrades. ( intake, header, exhuast, body kit, etc. ) And put in a good sound system. But mainly id just want it to be a faster than it is stock ( have other things i want to do so i don't kno if id have enough to make for racing, or even if i have the time ) Just like a really really good everyday car. The only cars that i have been considering are the 240sx, ae86 ( hehe after watching initial d and lots of drift contests, and see how cheap i could get one ) or 2000 integra gs-r.

I am open to any cars that you think would be good for an enthusiest with little money hehe.

Anything would be appressiated, thnx
dpsayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Another "My first car" thread

Well, I like your idea for imports as long as you're going for reliable transportation, but don't fall into the "fast and furious" pitfall of thinking that you'll get any decent performance from a front-drive econobox.

I am about as liberal as they come, and I TOTALLY appreciate all types of rodding, including the hp/liter those small cars get, but all the bling in the world won't get you down the track.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as performance on a budget unless you're talking about American Iron. If you want something fast and imported, get a Mitsubishi eclipse or 3000GT. They unfortunately fail in the reliability and bling categories, but they're fast.

Truly, if you want fast and cheap, think about mid-90's camaros and mustangs. If you want slow, bling, and get laid by 14-year-old blondes, get a civic and put a huge wing on it.

I might be 31, but I know one thing. If you want to go 12 seconds in the 1/4, you either buy a 1992 camaro with heads and a cam for $5000, or you spend $15,000 making your Civic barely dip into the 13s. Either one gets you laid... just by different kinds of girls
curtis73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
dpsayz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dpsayz Send a message via MSN to dpsayz Send a message via Yahoo to dpsayz

lol well trust me i am not one of those people. There are too many of them at my school and they always seem to piss the sh*t out of me.

And as i said before there are other things that i want to do besides dump a bunch of money into a car at this time. I am planning a trip to japan for about 2 months after i graduate and im going to do everything that i can, plus i am going to build a couple computer for myself which would take alot out of my future buget.

I was just going to get a car for now that would be reliable and has power. But i mean you dont always have to go all out on a car to get what you want out of it do you? I just like the import scene ( way before fast and furious came out ) and i just wanted my car to show a little of that. And im really not for the "bling bling" of the car. I think that if your going to get a car that looks like a gt car, you shouldn't get chrome rims. The gt cars don't have gt rims at all, they have black, white, grey etc.

In my apartment there are tons of rich asian kids that came to america to go to collage and they have every car you can think up, all custom, some imported, and all very expensive. So ive always been around things like that.

Later in life i was thinking on maybe getting an s2k or mr2 that i would go ALL OUT on. But my favorite car right now is the wrx sti. I wasn't planning on doing any drag racing, even though i do admire it, that isnt completly my thing. I also want handles rather than just speed in the straight away. I really like gt, love rally, and im getting into drift.

But thnx for the help anyways i guess
Old 10-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

you werel 11 or 12 when the gay and the curious came out, so I find it hard to believe that you were into the import "scene" before that. Being young, if you got an AE86, it would pretty much always be dead in your driveway. I guess just get a 240SX and be like every other "rebel" out there, at least you'll be able to find parts for it on your trip to japan.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
dpsayz
AF Regular

okey well even though ive been in this apartment since i was 7. And my first car that ive admired since moving is an is300, thnx for you opinion.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 AM   #6
curtis73

Hey, I just built my first computer last week. It was gratifying. I really blew a wad on it, 250g HD, DVD+RW double layer, 6in1 card reader, Audigy 2ZS platinum, XP pro, wireless hub, 3.6 P4, Antec case, and a digital 19" LCD. All without a static bracelet

There is a huge aftermarket following for Civics (and therefore Accords). Unfortunately they hold their value really well and you might end up paying more for one used than you could with, say, a Tercel... but a tercel is hardly a chick magnet. My wife has one. From what I understand there is actually some performance market out there for them. There is one guy over at the Tercel forum who certainly talks big about his. Anyway, they're cheap, not as common as civics, and last forever. Could you maybe find an older Outback and dress it up like a WRX? I think the non-turbo models only made like 125 hp, but maybe when you get some more cash you could drop in a turbo motor and go spank some Audis and Bimmers.

For that matter (not japanese) but I have a bmw e30. Its a 1987 325i convertible. 170 hp, but geared really low. Snappy, stylin, and mine has 160k miles and I can't kill it. Most bmw owners are getting incredible mileage out of their cars. Germans know metal so they build some indestructible engines. They suck at electronics, but the Japanese are electronics whizzes. I would say that my BMW has been slightly more cost to maintain than a comparable civic, but the bmw starts out as a sports car. Incredible handling, nice power, and flawless fit and finish. Something Japanese don't spend as much time refining.

you could pick up a late 80s BMW coupe with just under 100k for $3000-4000 depending on condition. Heck, you could have my convertible with new paint and new interior for $4500. If you wanted to sacrifice some miles and maybe take one that needs paint, you could easily snag one for $1500.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
CaTasHtRoPhE 67
AF Enthusiast

you have fast and gay fever but other thin that

Well all be 16 in november and all have my license in december 10 so yah but what your talking about is NOT cheap you dont have a car that the expensive part im saving up for one right now so remenber thoe insurance is the killer so yah your dreaming about a car and thinks about a fast and gay car thinking but sorry
CaTasHtRoPhE 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

You're not gonna get a fast car/tuner car at the age of 16. Trust me, you just aren't, unless your parents make over $100,000 a year and they spoil you rotten.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:10 PM   #9
dpsayz
AF Regular

lol as i said before it wasnt going to be modified that much. I wasnt trying to make the perfect tuner anything like that i just wanted some opinons on what would be a good first car out of some of the things that ive stated. Thnx alot ... atleast now you people arnt being dick heads

curtis73 ( heh heh sounds like one sweet computer. How do you like the new double layer dvd system. Do you need a double layer drive to read a double layer dvd?? ), i like bmws too. I think that the older bmw's have a great sleek look that you can't get with a ricer. Its just that i was thinking it'd be easier to get some gsr with a good overall frame and then get an engine swap if it had alot of milage. My moms best friends son is started his own racing team. and he knows alot of shops personally to get him good deals. And i hear that he got a prelude engine installed in an older accord for 800. Although i was hearing it from his younger brother, he also got a manual conversion for it too. So i was just thinking maybe get a good car and then just get an OKEY engine from some junkyard or something. But i might not really know what im talking about yet but that was just the idea that i had in my head.

What would be a good older car to modify ( like from mid 80s till like mid 90s ) that would be fairly cheap and something that not alot of people have?

Trust me if you knew me personally then you wouldn't think im just some poser that saw fatf a couple times and thought that i can beat everyone just by pressing NOS buttons on the steering wheel. Ive just always admired imports.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #10
doock87
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to doock87
get an older caddie. the insurance on it won't be much at all. you can build up suspension for it in case you want to drift, and you can always twin turbo it if you want to drag. keep in mind that caddies are usually v-8's, so they're pretty damn powerful right off the bat. and if yours isn't, get a tune up. replace the head gaskets, spark plugs, and clean your fuel injectors. or in case you're carbourated, get some carb cleaner and a k&n filter.
doock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
curtis73

Re: Re: Another

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsayz
curtis73 ( heh heh sounds like one sweet computer. How do you like the new double layer dvd system. Do you need a double layer drive to read a double layer dvd?? ),
So far the computer is sweet. I listen to CDs while I surf and the sound card has enough memory to rip the tracks while I listen. I have about 25 CDs burned to MP3s and the HD is only like 2% full. I love it.

Quote:
So i was just thinking maybe get a good car and then just get an OKEY engine from some junkyard or something. But i might not really know what im talking about yet but that was just the idea that i had in my head.
I've done this before. Usually if you find a rural junkyard out in the countryside they might have a good runner. They get "new" cars every few days that someone junks as a running car. If you can find one running, you can go test it out and maybe drive it to make sure it works well. Take a mechanic/friend with a few tools; a compression tester, maybe an oil pressure gauge, and some general information. If the compression tests well, it doesn't leak too bad, and there is no smoke out the tailpipe, you might have a good one. It might last another 100k or it might die tomorrow, but as long as you keep that in mind when you fork over cash, you'll be fine.

Quote:
What would be a good older car to modify ( like from mid 80s till like mid 90s ) that would be fairly cheap and something that not alot of people have?
Hmmm. My first answer for in the "easy to modify" category would be a GM A/G body. The A and G bodies are ones like Monte Carlo, El Camino, Olds Cutlass, Buick Gran National/Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix. They have incredible aftermarket support and junkyard upgrades like wheels, suspension, and engines are truly as easy as getting the parts and putting them on. The frames are mostly identical across the board, so you can put a Pontiac engine in a Buick Regal simply by buying the motor mounts and maybe a little piece of fuel line. There is obviously some little stuff to do like maybe extending wires here and there to reach sensors in different places, but its really easy since all the parts are there from the factory. Also, other modifications are easy using other GM parts; for instance a common suspension upgrade is to use B-body spindles and brakes. Its a bolt in with the proper suspension parts.

Unfortunately, Everybody and their brother has an A/G body. The same goes for Mustangs. Although they're cheap and easy to modify, everybody has one.

A couple ideas; How about a Thunderbird. During the 80s/early 90s, they were based on the same Fox-body platform as their mustang cousin. Most of the performance parts available for Mustang will also work on Tbirds. You could get an mid-90s Caprice or other B-body like it. If you hold out for one with the 9C1 package (cop cars, some taxis, Impala SS) you get the LT1 V8, which is the same engine found in corvettes, camaros, and firebirds from the same time. They are tuned down a touch to 260 hp, but they are one of GMs most commonly used engines, so aftermarket speed parts are cheap and plentiful.

OK, enough with domestics Unfortunately I'm not sure about imports from the 80s. I had an 88 Maxima that was a great car, but I don't know how easily you'll find parts for modifying it later down the road. I've seen them modified, but you'll have to do some research/fabrication to get the same desired effect as, say, a civic. You can get on the internet and find millions of bolt-on civic parts with predictable results, but the more obscure cars will be research and trial-and-error. There is a huge following for early Datsun/Nissan Z cars; 240/260/280. You'd get the classic look, a respected car, and good aftermarket support. You could get an 80s 300Z, or if you can come up with the cash, a 90s 300Z. I won't suggest anything british. If you're used to japanese reliability, then avoid things like Triumph or MG.

Here's a fun idea. Go to ebaymotors to the search page and click the "passenger vehicles" tab. Plug in your area, zero minimum price and whatever max price you can pay, and then search. Its great. It displays everything in your area and you'll be shocked at what fun stuff you can find. Maybe you'll find a good car that needs an engine or tires or something. Its amazing how much money you can save when you buy a car with something "wrong." I bought a 75 Cadillac once for $200 because it was a basket case. I just wanted the engine which alone was worth $300. Often times the value of the whole package is less than it is in individual parts.

If you live in a salt area, you might want to focus on a car with a good engine and a worthless body. You can get it cheap and buy body panels as you go. If you live in a non-rusty area, mabye find a good body/frame with a blown engine (or no engine) and replace it.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #12
dpsayz
AF Regular

heheh wow thnx alot for the info. Ill take all of that into consideration. But yeah i think i might go with like a 93 240sx. Ive been looking into that car and my friend found a site where you could get right hand drive ones for pretty cheep. Because of that ive been doing alot of reading in the 240 section of AF. Hehe those people posted a huge FAQ section that gave me hella info. Thnx alot curtis for the info. Do you think it would be easy to find a 240 engine in a junkyard to do what you were saying ?? I think ill look into that if i can save that much money by doing so.

http://www.batfa.com/offerofweek-180sx93.html

tell me if you think that this site is ligit.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

You can find a KA24DE (240SX motor) pretty easily; they were used in quite a few Nissans, such as the 240SX, the Altima, and the Pickup. If you want a JDM 240SX (180SX) engine, though, you'll have to pay at least $3000 to have it imported from Japan, and then more to have it swapped. My suggestion would be to ditch your JDM dreams (i.e. don't waste your time on sites like Batfa) until you're old and rich...just get an old 240SX or Civic, those cars are cheap and have huge aftermarkets.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:07 PM   #14
dpsayz
AF Regular

Hmm so the KA24DE engine is domestic ( like i could find in some junkyard if i needed to ? )
Old 10-17-2004, 09:08 PM   #15
curtis73

Since I've never been in the market for those specific engines so its hard to tell. I do know that the cars are plentiful in junkyards, but whether or not they have good engines is a crap shoot. Ya know, some cars rust so fast that they go to the junkyard with another 50k left in the engine, like Cadillacs. Bulletproof engine, cheap body. I would guess not plentiful, but available.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A