Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
My92TaurusP.O.S
AF Regular

Power

How do i know how much power is too much or more than i need or can handle? i was thinkin of the new saturn ion quad coupe or quad coupe redline. i want a manual but am not currently very experienced in drivin one. im also looking for something with good acceleration and decent top speed and hp with possible room for modifying.
My92TaurusP.O.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: Power

If you're driving a '92 Taurus right now, it's gonna be a big leap, but it's not enough that you'd get yourself into trouble unintentionally. If you constantly drive aggressively, you're gonna get into trouble in any car, so don't worry about it.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #3
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

the ION quadcoupe doesn't make any more power than your taurus, so it should be no problem. The redline should be fine as long as you learn to be smooth on the clutch, not run up every gear to redline and are responsible.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #4
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Its hard for me to say being a racer and having two daily driven cars over 500 hp. To me, anything they put out from the factory seems slow Take a look at weights, power numbers, and advertised acceleration numbers. Unless you are going to something like a mustang, corvette, or viper, you won't be into "too much" power.

It also sounds like (since you're asking this question) that power is not your first concern when buying a car. Some people like A/C, some like sunroofs, some like a certain body style... I like power. But if you are concerned about having too much power, don't be. The amount of power it makes is only proportional to how much foot you put into it.

Suffice it to say, if you're looking at two vehicles and one is better suited to you, has more of what you want, a lower price, but double the HP, don't worry. Just buy it and only use half of your foot.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

The saturn might not be a bad choice. It will definetely be a lot sportier than your Taurus, I read that the redline goes to 60 in about 6 secods under an experienced foot. I'm sure that it will still get 30+ mpg. Take one for a test drive at a dealer, and see if you like it.
clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
My92TaurusP.O.S
AF Regular

thanx guys for your help.
My92TaurusP.O.S is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A