Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > 6000
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
TheHuHu
AF Newbie

1990 Pontiac 6000 LE

I just bought this car for $850! It has 68,000 miles and the owner was an old lady so it's a lot of city miles.

However, is there anything I should be concerned about because the lack of long drives she took? And what should I replace now or in the future because of the miles? I heard you need to replace timing chains every 60k-100k miles?

Thanks for all of your help!
TheHuHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

Re: 1990 Pontiac 6000 LE

First of all, what size engine do you have? Make sure to change the oil and I would change the transmission fluid and filter. Don't FLUSH!! Then change the fuel filter, check the brake fluid and if dark change it out by bleeding all four brakes. The serpentine belt may need changed, along with a coolant flush and radiator hose replacement. With that low of miles if she maintained the car you got a good deal!!
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
TheHuHu
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP Dad
First of all, what size engine do you have? Make sure to change the oil and I would change the transmission fluid and filter. Don't FLUSH!! Then change the fuel filter, check the brake fluid and if dark change it out by bleeding all four brakes. The serpentine belt may need changed, along with a coolant flush and radiator hose replacement. With that low of miles if she maintained the car you got a good deal!!
It's the v6 model.

And wow, that's a lot of stuff to be replaced. How much will each replacement usually run $$?
TheHuHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
GTP Dad
Pontiac Guy

It will probably cost you around $200 for parts if you do most of the work yourself. If you have someone do the work for you expect to pay about the same amount in labor. Actually all of the above are normal maintenance items and when cars are low mileage like the one you mentioned these items will deteriorate and can possibly let you sit along side the highway. As for the timing chain don't worry about it. I had a V-6 with 209K and it had the original timing chain. The other items are more important to longevity.
GTP Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Smile Re: 1990 Pontiac 6000 LE

and if she hasn't had it up to 55 or more don't go running it hard as the pistons might not have been up cylender wall's that high if you do just go up and up little bit more each time...you don't wana crack a wring or wring's....good luck....
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
dcjredline
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper
and if she hasn't had it up to 55 or more don't go running it hard as the pistons might not have been up cylender wall's that high if you do just go up and up little bit more each time...you don't wana crack a wring or wring's....good luck....
WHAT???
Are you saying at higher RPM's the pistons go higher in the cylinder? oh yeah? The cast steel connecting rods actually SSSTTTRRRREEEEETTTCCHH at higher RPM's.

Don't take this advice. Pistons go up and down the same distance no matter what the RPM or you cars speed. They are mechanically attached to the CRANK by a steel Connecting rod.
dcjredline is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > 6000