Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #46
mallenfam
AF Newbie

Re: Ignition Switch replacement procedure

Your problem is very different from the problem that required me to replace the ingnition switch harness, which strangely enough was causing the transmission to not operate properly.

I doubt that it is your fuel injectors and personally would never go anywhere near that Firestone again $3700!!!!

Is your SES/MIL light on, and if so have you read the codes?

The problem sounds electrical or low fuel pressure, but unfortunately I don't know. Hopefully on eof the Pros on this forum will chime in soo. They have really been helpful to me several times. Good luck!
mallenfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #47
andresmerced@yahoo
AF Newbie

my is 95 it got the same code and doing same thing and the was change last year thats what old onwer said
andresmerced@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #48
jomin1016
AF Newbie

so what happened? - did you get it done? how'd you get the white connector off?
jomin1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #49
heydawgg
AF Newbie

Hi jomin1016,

Yes, got the job done, it took a while to figure out that white clip, but once that came off, it was a breeze after that.

It's been a while since I did the job, but if I remember correctly, the white clip needed a bit of prodding with a small end screwdriver. The clip grips one side, you just need to try and look around and force it up a bit....it should pop out.

Once I put everything back together, I have had zero problems with the key getting stuck in the Ingnition Switch....problem solved!

Heydawgg (Rob)
heydawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #50
jomin1016
AF Newbie

ok, I got the ignition switch replaced and the tranny seems to be back in working order, but now I've got a misfire on cylinder 4? - what the heck - will this truck ever be back in shape?
jomin1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #51
nrecob
AF Newbie

For what it's worth, the AC Delco ignition switch D1498C can be obtained at Amazon for ~$70:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9QLX4

Unfortunately this new Ignition Switch didn't help my no 1st or 4th gear [Limp Mode with "Check Engine Light and P0759 error code]

I've already changed both shift solenoids [that cost me about $65 incl the tranny fluid/gasket/filter/solenoids] and now this ignition switch and still can't pass a GA Emissions Test [required to renew my GA Registration [due this month [Spetember]! I'm at my wits end! [I haven't even mentioned the new starter, alternator, fuel pump and battery this year]

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm wide open for any thoughts--I've got like 12 days left to drive legally.....
nrecob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #52
nrecob
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrecob
For what it's worth, the AC Delco ignition switch D1498C can be obtained at Amazon for ~$70:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9QLX4

Unfortunately this new Ignition Switch didn't help my no 1st or 4th gear [Limp Mode with "Check Engine Light and P0759 error code]

I've already changed both shift solenoids [that cost me about $65 incl the tranny fluid/gasket/filter/solenoids] and now this ignition switch and still can't pass a GA Emissions Test [required to renew my GA Registration [due this month [Spetember]! I'm at my wits end! [I haven't even mentioned the new starter, alternator, fuel pump and battery this year]

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm wide open for any thoughts--I've got like 12 days left to drive legally.....

I must be getting tired--my error code is P0785 [3-2 shift solenoid circuit fault] not P0759 that I typed in my previous post.

Finally, I see a suggestion "reset your computer and have it relearn."

How do I do that? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

God this sucks
Old 09-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #53
nrecob
AF Newbie

Well last ditch I'm going to replace the 3-2 Shift solenoid

This thing is nickel and diming me to death:

10/07 $650 Repair bill for water pump + other related stuff (won't be going back to Gibbs Auto).

02/08 $100 new Bosch battery

03/08 $900 repair bill for new fuel pump (I will NEVER go back to this Firestone!)

5/08 $165 for new starter that I put in (I should have NEVER purchased it from Pep Boys (high retail + sales tax) See below for what I pay now!

9/08 $79 for a new 120Amp alternator I put in--thanks to DB Electric in Tennessee: http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/
Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #54
nrecob
AF Newbie

and I forgot (I'm getting old!):

9/08: $65 for the A/B Shift solenoids, gasket, 8 qts ATF, tranny filter

9/08: $75 for the AC Delco Ignition Switch (got it from Amazon). Big PITA to install!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #55
LM2500
AF Newbie

New kid on the block with what appears to be a common problem. I decided to get into this replacement as I wasn't getting a fuel pump run call at start.

Without this thread I probably wouldn't have attempted the replacement.

Fortunately before I move on to my stupid question, I can offer a tip for those who don't have the E3/4 reverse torx. A cut piece of 3/16" brake line (about a buck at the auto parts store) lightly tapped onto the head of the fastener will form its own socket and works like a champ.

As for the question, there was a day or two between starting the replacement and finally figuring out how to remove those smaller torx fasteners. I slept a couple of times, when I sleep I forget things. So just what is this shorter three pin harness coming off the terminal block of the switch assembly(orange w/black stripe, light blue, gray)? I can't find a matching connector under there anywhere. It does go someplace right?

Thanks in advance, and again great post!
LM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #56
LM2500
AF Newbie

New kid on the block with what appears to be a common problem. I decided to get into this replacement as I wasn't getting a fuel pump run call at start.

Without this thread I probably wouldn't have attempted the replacement.

Fortunately before I move on to my stupid question, I can offer a tip for those who don't have the E3/4 reverse torx. A cut piece of 3/16" brake line (about a buck at the auto parts store) lightly tapped onto the head of the fastener will form its own socket and works like a champ.

As for the question, there was a day or two between starting the replacement and finally figuring out how to remove those smaller torx fasteners. I slept a couple of times, when I sleep I forget things. So just what is this shorter three pin harness coming off the terminal block of the switch assembly(orange w/black stripe, light blue, gray)? I can't find a matching connector under there anywhere. It does go someplace right?

Thanks in advance, and again great post!
LM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #57
grizzly999
AF Newbie

what is the function of the switch under the shifter on the floor. this seems to actuate a selonoid in the ignition. Im not sure what parts are in need of replacement. I hate to do all the work in the colomn only to find out the actual problem is in the shifter switch.
grizzly999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #58
Linksmaker
AF Newbie

MY Chiltons says you have to take the Steering Wheel off if you have aitbags?
Linksmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #59
Linksmaker
AF Newbie

I'm to the Ignition Switch and cannot find any Reverse Torx screws only 1 regular Torx head. If you're sitting in the driver seat it is on the back side of the Switch. The switch is still in there pretty good. It will wiggle a bit, should I force it out or will that ruin things internally? I have the new Switch sitting here and can nothing that any screws would secure.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #60
Linksmaker
AF Newbie

I'm a dork, got it off via 2 spring loaded clips on the switch accessable through 2 holes in the metal key tumbler. Now I have the new on and tried to check it and I have nothing. I have power to dash and all but doesn't turn over. I don't even feel resistance when turning the key when it's in start mode??

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info