Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
waltham41
AF Regular

What was this holley used on?

Trying to find out what this holley carb was originally used on. Make of auto, car or pickup,Motor size etc

List 6711 (0509) underneath this info on feedhorn

it is a 650cfm spreadbore doublepumper model 4165

I have not physically seen the carb, just pics on the net

Am building a 383 stroker in a 86 Monte Carlo SS for a street driver and am wanting to make sure this carb will work ok before I buy it.

Any info will be most appreciated.
waltham41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

Re: What was this holley used on?

I can tell you the 4165 was designed to be a replacement for Quadra-jets on GM cars and thermoquads on chrysler. I think this particular carb was for an early 70's chrysler.
manicmechanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
waltham41
AF Regular

Thanks for the info, I did find out that the carb is set up for a divorced choke, where the choke plate is operated by a heat sensitive spring that is on the intake manifold.

I am thinking of using this carb on a 86 Chevy Monte Carlo. Is there any way I can rig up a choke for it? It does not have any place on the carb for the regular choke.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

I think had it came with an integral choke you could remove it and install a divorced choke, but if it doesn't have the integral choke, like this carb, it would be harder to go from a divorce choke to an integral. There should be mounting bosses for the integral choke, but maybe they're not drilled.

The 4165 is probably a decent carburetor but this particular one isn't a universal model and was set up to be emission compliant on for an early 70's mopar. I don't think this particual list model would be sest for a hot chevy 383, but who knows. You're not trying to make this setup emissions compliant right? If not, then probably an universal list 3310 or maybe 1850 would be better. Or a at least a universal 4165 or a chevy version, which would probably be hard to find since the 4165 was mostly an emissions carb to replace Q-jets and Thermoquads.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
waltham41
AF Regular

Unfortunately this build is being done on a strict budget, and the guy is willing to let me have the carb for 25 bucks and then all I have to do is put a kit in it ($40)

The guy I am getting it from has never used it, but the guy that sold it to him said he was running it on a small block Chevy motor.

I may have to just run it with no choke until I get enough money down the line to put a different carb on it. Emissions are not a problem where I live (rural Okla)

You do what you have to sometimes
Old 03-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

I see. Sounds like a good deal. The carb will probably work OK especially if the cam's not too radical. And maybe with some tuning it would work as good as any other Holley. The small primaries of spread bores usually work better on the street. Don't you have that yearly inspection sticker in Oklahoma? Would they look at your ehaust for cats?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
waltham41
AF Regular

No inspection anymore in Okla. And I live in a rural area where they never did any emissions tests or anything like that when we did have yearly inspections. Just had to have decent tires, and all of your lights work basic stuff like that.

I guess Im going to give this carb a try, It is in decent looking shape for its age, thanks for your help and opinions.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

They got rid of the inspections? That's good. I use to live in Oklahoma. I know they didn't actually test emission but shops would typically look at your exhaust and use the failed inspection as an excuse to do repairs. One time a shop obviously punched a hole in the cat heat shield on my brother's car and claimed it need to be replaced to pass inspections. We just took it some where else and got the sticker. This was all several years ago, but the inspection thing sucked. I think Texas still has it. Another thing they did in OK was tax you every year on the value of your car. That sucked too.

Yeah at that price it couldn't hurt to try it out and run the carb.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
waltham41
AF Regular

They were always pretty slack around here. I am almost 50 years old, have lived in Okla most of my adult life, and the only inspection I ever failed was an old 70 Chevy pickup that chose the moment of the inspection for the floor hi low switch to quit working.

Came back next day with new switch installed and got the sticker.

Up around Tulsa I had always heard they actually checked emissions and you had to pass.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
manicmechanix
AF Enthusiast

I was living near OKC. They never checked emissions there either. But in town especially at the chain repair shops they would really look for problems even create ones to try to sell a repair to pass inspections. But out side of town at a reputable shop they were on the up and up and would pass the car with no hassles. I guess it all depended on the shop you went to.

I went back through OK a couple years ago and it changed a lot since I lived there before. Last time I lived there the speed limit was the national 55mph and now they had turnpikes and a 75 mph limit. The county roads outside of OKC use to be potholes on top of potholes, and now they were smooth and dirt roads were paved-never thought that'd happen. One thing that was the same was it was windy most of the time lol.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical