Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 12:41 AM   #1
Quetzolcotl
AF Enthusiast

?'s on angle valve jobs

what are they? are the valve seats physically redone at a greater angle than stock? are the angles increased or decreased? under what conditions is a 3 degree angle job preferable to a 5 degree angle job? is the same angle done on intake and exhaust valves? will new valves need to be purchased or will stock ones still work?

Be like Ike.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:52 AM   #2
SmoovSol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SmoovSol
u do one thing you do the other, they will reccomen you to get ss nitrate covered valves, if u are smart you will, but the wallet is only so big, a port polish valve job is just opening up your air intake and exhaust valves wider probably to like 33mm or something like that, porting the intake manifold would be to make the intake chambers bigger to increase air flow into your head, you port polish the head to be bigger but the better gain comes from porting the intake manifold with the head. This procedure can be very very costly and if you do it do it right, new springs, retainers, valves and only let a proffesional touch that head. valvetrain well a good one should run you about 550.00+ depending on what you buy, skunk2 sells there kit for 800.00 or something like that, but again thats also good quality and you know you cant go wrong. All in all for the right port and polishing it should be somewhere around 1700.00 for a 5 angle valve job well a proffesional one anyhow.. good luck
Old 05-04-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
Quetzolcotl
AF Enthusiast

ok, so are you going to answer my question or what? i know all about port and polish jobs, valvetrain ect. what is a 5 degree angle valve job? and i didnt know if stock valves would still work of if you needed a different size valve afterwards.

Be like Ike.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
to answer your question, a 3 angle valve job is where the re-grind the valve seat to three different angles, ie. 30° 45° 60° compared to the stock of just 45°, a 5 angle would be 15, 30, 45, 60, 75.

the reason this is done is to smooth the flow of gases around the valves into and out of the combustion chamber, for a better power gain. only let a pro handle such a job, as they will be able to do it in such a way that you may not need a new valve. but if you want to optimize this job, a custom grinded valve may be needed to curve around the newly curved walls of the valve seat. It's very costly BTW.

-Hope That Helped.

it's weird but in my auto shop class, we just went over this.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
Old 05-05-2002, 12:27 AM   #5
Quetzolcotl
AF Enthusiast

thanks. so the valve seat is cut to enhance the flow of the air:fuel mixture from a gradual to a steep angle. and the valve still closes against the 45 degree angle surface. are aftermarket valves cut to seal against more than one surface? like they would seal against the 30 and 45 degree angles? in what senario is a 5 angle preferable to a 3? different applications like n/a or turbo or what?

Be like Ike.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:15 PM   #6
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
im not sure as too which would be a better use for 5 or 3 angles, but the more angles you have the rounder the valve seat will be, forcing a smoother, and quicker flow of air:fuel into or out of the combustion chamber. As far as the valves themselves, you would need to get either machined valves or new ones to accomadate the different gaps caused when doing this job.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
Old 05-07-2002, 09:28 PM   #7
praxis
AF Enthusiast

Or...you can get a completed head (with the perks) from BullFrog... which is available below.

PraxisPerformanceAutoworks LLC High performance autoparts & accessories.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:13 PM   #8
-=BOOMER=-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via AIM to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via MSN to -=BOOMER=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=BOOMER=-
coundt find a head package on your site.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
TheWhiteKnight
AF Newbie

Re: ?'s on angle valve jobs

I really don't know how long ago this was posted here, but here's my 2 cents (since I do this for a living). A 3 angle valve grind is designed to increase flow through out your head. A 5 angle increases this even more. However a 3 and 5 angle valve grind require not only the head BUT valves as well, because your valves are given a 3 angle grind as well as the chosen grind on the valve seats of your head. I've seen gain's in flow as big as 26% on certain engines. However it is like a port and polish, if you don't know what you are doing, you can really screw things up. It's actually done (who ever said "to smooth out the gasses") was right. It is designed to make the incoming A/F mixture less "turbulent" in the combustion chamber, and also designed to increase speed and flow of the mixture into and out of the chamber. The scenarios actually differ. Heads that have 4 valves per cylinder eat up the 5 angle valve grinds, while more conventional 2 valves per cylinder heads like 3 angle valve grinds the best, unless you are boosting or spraying or increaseing your cam lift more than .100, where flow and vaccum becomes a serious issue. I've done both the 3's and the 5's and I put one on my race car as well (a 5 angle), and after I got everything finished, I dynoed it out vs stock vs pnp vs 3 angle and flowbenched vs all of them as well. I gained 22% flow through just the pnp, and gained another 20% with the 5 angle grind. I don't know, you would have to tell me if the $400 grinds are worth it. A work to the wise though, usually you do NOT want to get a grind done without a pnp and new valves. It's just a rule of thumb I use at the shop. So your looking at about $1k for grinds, pnp, decking, cleaning, pressure testing, and new S.S valves. (which is actually not bad if you think about it) You can gain actual raw HP (anywhere from 25-60) from these mods, so to me its worth it. Peace.

- Josh (Owner of The Race Shop)
Old 02-20-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

Hondas have three angles from the factory
Old 02-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Port, polish, milling will do more than a valve job, but if your spending the $$$$ do it ALL!

Bullfrog/Gude head packages - http://www.mmrusa.com/gudehead.htm

IMO head work is one of the best mods, actually increases
Old 02-22-2004, 06:11 PM   #12
rosshatch89
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rosshatch89

im glad i work at a shop that has a valve grinder and valve seat grinder but for now im not touching it because i have the time but not the money to be without my car for a week
Old 02-27-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
Tomsriv
AF Regular

FYI, the more angles you put on it the more durability is compromised. Cuting angles on the valves makes them thinner on the tips so they heat up faster. Like it was stated before, its a job for professionals.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
InfamousLS1
AF Newbie

I would like to start off by mentioning everyone who posted on this had something great to add but there is one little thing you all over looked. reasons behind why you hear of 3 and 5 angle valve jobs in the same decision. its because they go hand in hand there synonymous with each other. i to do this for a living and for the past 11 years now and the flow bench doesnt lie we all know the saying there's no replacement for displacement same goes for heads except its cc 5 is obviously gonna flow better then a 3 simply because with a 3 angle valve job it does exactly that put 3 different cuts in your valve seats and 5 you get 5 cuts in your seats and to answer your other question no you don't need new valves. when i do a set of heads you must bring in your old valves or new ones or if you don't feel comfortable ill pick out the best for you application the reason for this is so i can cuts the seats then cut the valves to match
after that being said these two numbers that we have been discussing have proven to produce the most power 3 on the intake 5 on the exhaust your gonna get better follow out of 5int and 5exh the bench but on the dyno your gonnna looses the wars against a 3int and 3exh hands down simply because you want 5 angle on the exhaust to get it out as fast as possible but 3 angle is optimal on the intake valves reason for this is to slow down the air coming in well not so much to slow OK slows the wrong word you want it to disrupt the mixture you still need that crucial atomization of the proper air/fuel mixture and on a 5 angle on the intake is to free flowing and you will get what we call puddling especially when you start doing those all important fuel upgrades like bigger injectors and hp fuel pumps just always keep in mind to have a strong,powerful and reliable power plant everything's gotta match that's why big company's like slp, Holley and fast lsx have power packages because they have done the research on what works with what best of luck to ya all

Last edited by InfamousLS1; 03-17-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousLS1 View Post
I would like to start off by mentioning everyone who posted on this had something great to add but there is one little thing you all over looked reasons behind why you hear of 3 and 5 angle valve jobs in the same decision its because they go hand in hand there synonymous with each other i to do this for a living and for the past 11 years now and there's one thing that doesn't lie when it comes to what flows better we all know the saying there's no replacement for displacement 5 is obviously gonna flow better then a 3 simply because with a 3 angle valve job it does exactly that put 3 different cuts in your valve seats and the 5 is the same and to answer your other question no you don't need new valves when i do a set of heads but you must bring in your old valves or new ones or if you don't feel comfortable ill pick out the best for you application the reason for this is so i can cuts the seats then cut the valves to match
after that being said these two numbers that we have been discussing have proven to produce the most power 3 on the intake 5 on the exhaust your gonna get better follow out of 5int and 5exh the bench but on the dyno your gonnna looses the wars against a 3int and 3exh hands down simply because you want 5 angle on the exhaust to get it out as fast as possible but 3 angle is optimal on the intake valves reason for this is to slow down the air coming in well not so much to slow OK slows the wrong word you want it to disrupt the mixture you still need that crucial atomization of the proper air/fuel mixture and on a 5 angle on the intake is to free flowing and you will get what we call puddling especially when you start doing those all important fuel upgrades like bigger injectors and hp fuel pumps just always keep in mind to have a strong,powerful and reliable power plant everything's gotta match that's why big company's like slp, Holley and fast lsx have power packages because they have done the research on what works with what best of luck
Um, dude, this thread is almost 7 years old.