Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #16
FalconXIII
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to FalconXIII
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozallas
Does any know the Solution to the "Service 4WD Switch" error message. My 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo(4WD ALL-Time) keeps displaying this message every 2 minutes and it's so distracting. My mechanic doesn't seem to have aclue. Has anyone else had this experience?
I have been having this same message on my VIC in and out. I checked the transfer case fluid level and found it was low. Since I have topped off the transfer case I haven't had this message again. Check your owners manual for the proper fluid type and check the transfer case fluid level. I'll post a follow up if this message starts coming back again. Good Luck.
FalconXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #17
CapeFear562
AF Newbie

Re: "Service 4WD Switch Error Message"

highly doubt its the VIC, dont mess with the chime module unless you want to lose your keyless entry on some models. Problem is with the switch in the tcase. Well not really the switch itself but everything together. solution, disconnect it. the purpose of the four wire is to accommodate different tcases (i.e. 231, 242, 249) which wires are connected corresponds to a different tcase.
CapeFear562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 AM   #18
Speedracer33
AF Newbie

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXIII
I have been having this same message on my VIC in and out. I checked the transfer case fluid level and found it was low. Since I have topped off the transfer case I haven't had this message again. Check your owners manual for the proper fluid type and check the transfer case fluid level.
Can anybody look and see what that fluid is for me? I got mine used and don't have the manual. Is it hard to add the fluid to the transfer case? Where is it actually located?

Thanks!
Speedracer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:15 PM   #19
CapeFear562
AF Newbie

your fluid for the tcase is transmission fluid, IIRC its ATF +3, to add fluid is pretty simple. On the rear of the case there are two fairly good sized bolts, the top is where you check your fluid level and add fluid, the bottom is to drain the case. Remove the top bolt fill until level with the bottom of the hole. in other words fill it until it runs out the hole and replace the bolt. hope this helps
Old 11-10-2004, 01:02 PM   #20
Speedracer33
AF Newbie

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFear562
your fluid for the tcase is transmission fluid, IIRC its ATF +3, to add fluid is pretty simple. On the rear of the case there are two fairly good sized bolts, the top is where you check your fluid level and add fluid, the bottom is to drain the case. Remove the top bolt fill until level with the bottom of the hole. in other words fill it until it runs out the hole and replace the bolt. hope this helps
That helps a great deal actually. I just have one painfully stupid follw-up question, mostly based on the fact that I'm used to working on front wheel drive Hondas. Where in the drivetrain is the tcase? What does it look like? I just don't want to end up servicing the rear diff instead by accident! LOL!
Speedracer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #21
CapeFear562
AF Newbie

the tcase is mounted directly after the transmission. its the unit where the front and rear driveshafts come together.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #22
honkeyman
AF Newbie

Yea I had been having that same service 4 wheel drive switch message too and it was bugging the hell out of me. Then one day this random maroon box was just lying on the floor on the drivers side and it must have been the chime mechanism. The message still appears interminnently, but it doesnt beep anymore. Ive realized that Jeeps are the most random cars...
honkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:08 PM   #23
lukep
AF Newbie

I pulled out the chime module on mine (94 laredo) and the beeping stopped when I now get the Service 4wd message. The thing is that I can't lock the doors with the keyless remote or with the buttons on the doors, just unlock them. This might sound stupid but to tell you the truth, I'd rather not have that stupid beeping sound all the damn time for no reason than to be able to lock my doors. That beeping is soooooooo damn annoying I feel like driving my jeep off a boat ramp into a lake half the time.
lukep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #24
lukep
AF Newbie

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFear562
highly doubt its the VIC, dont mess with the chime module unless you want to lose your keyless entry on some models. Problem is with the switch in the tcase. Well not really the switch itself but everything together. solution, disconnect it. the purpose of the four wire is to accommodate different tcases (i.e. 231, 242, 249) which wires are connected corresponds to a different tcase.
I ran into this problem. I noticed there are something like 8 wires running to the module, any idea which one is the VIC beep? I am also thinking of trying to open the maroon box and see if there is a speaker that can be disconnected, which would shut up the vehicle as well.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #25
lukep
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re:

I think I have a somewhat easy solution to stopping the beeping, it has to do with the chime module, and you will loose all chimes, even the one that beeps when you leave the headlights on and the vehicle is off. I'm not entirely sure that it works, since I haven't been able to get the Service 4wd message to show up now that I've made a fix (which figures), but I didn't get beeping when the Turn Signal Left On warning came on the screen and I get no beeping when I open the drivers side door of the vehicle with the vehicle off and the headlights on, both of these being two other things I remember hearing the chime module in action.

You simply have to pull out the chime module (the maroon box under the front left side of the dash). Open up the chime module. It's pretty easy, just some snaps, you'll need something about 2 inches long with a radius of about 1/8' inch to get to some of the snaps, I used a nail. You'll see a green circuit board after opening up the maroon casing. Pull out the circuit board, it comes out easy. Underneath you'll see a thin, circular metal plate with a dark line through the middle of it. You'll have to unsnap the white cage holding it into place. I removed both the white cage and disk, which look like the peices that radiate the sound. Put the module back together and you can snap it back into place under the dash. Now you have removed the part of the chime module that makes the sound without even removing the chime module completely from your vehicle, so the door locks will still work.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #26
mad max
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re:

I just unpluged the damn sensor plug from the transfer case. No more noise and Vehicle Information Module still works fine. This thing is getting old. Had to replace the ABS brake module also. Time to get another ride with a better brain
mad max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #27
nfo184
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to nfo184
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad max
I just unpluged the damn sensor plug from the transfer case. No more noise and Vehicle Information Module still works fine. This thing is getting old. Had to replace the ABS brake module also. Time to get another ride with a better brain
the plug going to the transfer case shuts off ur speedometer though
nfo184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #28
mad max
AF Newbie

Re: not

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfo184
the plug going to the transfer case shuts off ur speedometer though
Negative on same. Speedo still working (99.9 % of the time!) . I am not sure but I think the speedo is actually a cable that spins. Regardless maybe the difference is that I have a 93 grand cherokee. I have had the wires disconnected for around a year now and no more problems. I wish there was a way to replace that poorly made vic with a newer quality unit. The old jeep -160K mi - is starting to rust around the wheel well - 14 years in new england did it. Still runs well despite being very thirsty for oil all he time. Maybe a valve job is in the offing in the next 50 K
Good luck
mad max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #29
nfo184
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to nfo184
Re: not

yea well my speedometer def went out right away lol.....my VIC also shuts off sometimes and then i got to reset everything....anybody have that problem also?
nfo184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
buckeyebossman
AF Newbie

My 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (6cyl, 4l) just started showing the "service 4wd switch" message, and then last night, it wouldnt shift out of first gear and eventually the transmission started slipping, and I couldnt go any faster than 5 mph. Had to get a tow. Please let me know if replacing the 4wd switch will fix this issue, or if I have a major transmission problem. Thanks.
buckeyebossman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8