Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
tricky8
AF Newbie

how do you...

I always wondered how do you get out of your car in a parking lot? lol, i mean just think about it, you park in the middle of no where and 2 people park beside you on purpose so you cant get out....sorry thats just the funniest thing to me....they built those things just so the owners would have the worst time going to the store or going to a auto show where they cramp you up next to each other...just a question ive always wondered about...and wondered if you ever ran into the people purposly parking next to you to be stupid....
Old 03-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Re: how do you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky8
I always wondered how do you get out of your car in a parking lot? lol, i mean just think about it, you park in the middle of no where and 2 people park beside you on purpose so you cant get out....sorry thats just the funniest thing to me....they built those things just so the owners would have the worst time going to the store or going to a auto show where they cramp you up next to each other...just a question ive always wondered about...and wondered if you ever ran into the people purposly parking next to you to be stupid....
Actually, aside from Diablos and a few other exotic cars with similar door systems, a Delorean can park closer to other cars or a wall than almost every car. If the doors were hinged where the side of the car meets the roof then they would swing way out, but since the doors are hinged near the center of the roof, the doors barely swing out at all. In fact, you can park the car about 1 foot away from a wall and open the door fully without it touching the wall

Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
tricky8
AF Newbie

Re: how do you...

I was just messing with yall, i heard it someplace that the doors like wont open when 2 cars are next to you in a parking lot. It was like that VH1 program that tells you about the 80's and 70's i think. But anyways thanks for the info, it was just something i wondered about ever since i saw the show because it made sence the way i thought the doors worked but the more i think about i remember the car's hinges are inward a lot. You can tell im not a delorean guy :-P
Old 03-04-2004, 02:31 AM   #4
Marc-OS
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Marc-OS Send a message via AIM to Marc-OS
I actually used to trap other people in by parking so close to them when I was driving my DMC. Taught those damn people not to take up 2 spots.

4/8/04 - My CRX is officially dead, RIP Lucy
Marc-OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:46 AM   #5
DMC3472
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DMC3472 Send a message via MSN to DMC3472 Send a message via Yahoo to DMC3472
14-inches of side clearance are needed for the doors to fully open - as compaired to updards of 3 feet for a standard door (even more if you have a 2-door 4 seater)

Although the perspective is a factor in the following image, you can see how the door pivits, and does not come out from the car too far.
work out the way I expected. . .And I'm sure it's not
going to be the last.
--John Z DeLorean
DMC3472 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > General Discussion