Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
MNuTzG60
AF Newbie

mk3 GTI engine transplant

Lo all,

This is my first post and hopefully someone can help.

Ive a 1.4 mk3 golf whos gearbox decided to detonate the day before i had spend £230 so it could pass its MOT

After spending a while looking for a second hand box (after VW wanted £895 for a new one!!) ive been offered a mk3 1.8 16v GTi free of charge as its a MOT failure. Mechanically its in great condition but has a major case of car cancer!

Is it simply a case of me taking everything off the GTi and putting it into the 1.4 shell? Will it be a straight swap or will i need to do some work to make it fit? Is there anything else i should do with the Gti engine and parts before i swap it all over?

Thanks in advance!

Stu
MNuTzG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:47 AM   #2
Hategoingslow
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hategoingslow
Re: mk3 GTI engine transplant

hey i see nobody is responding to you here. you should try vwvortex.com or a vw specific forum but to answer your question the best i can in u.s. they only made mk3 with 2.0 and vr6 and you can swap motors without any cusom work. i have a mk3 2.o in my mk2 so im sure you can do that swap you considering fairly easy if you have both cars.
Hategoingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
MNuTzG60
AF Newbie

Re: mk3 GTI engine transplant

thanks for the advice mate!
MNuTzG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Kashan
AF Newbie

Re: Re: mk3 GTI engine transplant

Howdy,
You mentioned you have a 2.0l mk3 engine inside a mk2 shell.. Wondering if you could help me out.. I recently acquired a mk2 Golf GTi '89 shell with a 2.0l 8v Mk3 engine. I have been told the gearbox is still the original.. i believe it was the 020.. She has a custom downpipe and stainless exhaust. No idea what the engine code is except that it might be off a 94 golf.. dont know the mark.. Also has a Janex Induction kit installed. The car's been christened 'Matilda'.. Dont ask.. Im passionate about my motors..

Anyhow, I am having some serious trouble with her. She runs beautiful when on the move, but when innitially I start her up, she gets a little moody. Throws out a lot of thick smoke out the back and idles irraticallly. so irratically infact that the tachometer touches 5000 rpm at times! But she purrs like a kitten once in gear.. Infact, she has enough low down torque to easily blow away most mk2 16v's..

My theory is that its a faulty ISV which is the irratic idling prob.. and the mixture needs to be adjusted hence the thick emissions of CO2.. What do you think? anybody have any other ideas/comments?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kashan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hategoingslow
hey i see nobody is responding to you here. you should try vwvortex.com or a vw specific forum but to answer your question the best i can in u.s. they only made mk3 with 2.0 and vr6 and you can swap motors without any cusom work. i have a mk3 2.o in my mk2 so im sure you can do that swap you considering fairly easy if you have both cars.
Kashan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI